“Great Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
aberdeen
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'd not been here for a long time....decided to go for lunch today...such a lovely sunny drive.
We sat in the lounge bar as we felt it'd be too bright for our 14 week old in the conservatory.
I had the scotch broth soup for starters, my wife had the lamb and black pudding terrine. Both were great!
For mains, I had the breaded sole and my wife had the fish pie. Absolutely gorgeous!!!
No room for pudding!!
Service was friendly!!
Glad we came back.....must try it again soon!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fab Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Decided to have lunch out of town for a change and we were not disappointed. It was busy but not crowded with plenty of spare tables. We had the pork and the chicken...both were excellent quality and i would eat here again just to try the other items on the menu. Service was prompt and even though we were busy chatting it didnt seem like we had to wait long for our food. Only downside for me was the fire in the centre of the room was smoking and made our clothes stink, i still cannot get rid of the smell from my jacket! Had coffees to finish and sadly they were not the best but it in no way reflects the quality and taste of the food. Plenty of car parking which is a great bonus.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We had not been here for a long time but were not disappointed. We arrived at 7.15 but still had to wait 45mims for table as the place was very busy .
Even when we did order we had a while to wait however it was well worth it. We had the venison and pork from the menus it so nicely done.
Because we were with friends the time didn't matter. We noticed a lot of people from the local area and more middle aged hence maybe why people were meeting early .
I would recommend a visit to this local inn and restaurant

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeenshire
“Good food, but not terribly attentive service, and restricted reservation times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I'm very disappointed the Crynoch Restaurant at the Lairhillock Inn has closed as a restaurant, and is now available only for functions. It really isn't quite the same to only have the option of the Inn, when you're going our for a special meal.

None the less, we decided that for convenience we'd give the Inn a go for a belated Valentine's bite to eat on a Sunday Night. Since you cannot book a table after 7pm, we booked for 7pm. I was told this very sternly by a female on the phone when I called up to book. Not being able to book for say 8pm is one of the things which would put me off Lairhillock, as you mught be lucky and get a table, but you might not. We live very close, but who would want to drive all the way out from Aberdeen, to find the place was full? I know others have said the same.

I had asked for a table in the conservatory, and there were plenty, although the lounge bar area looked quite full. We had a nice table for two, which was a good size, but the conservatory was not really as warm as it should have been for a Febraury night.

Our menus took a wee while to come - why don't waiting staff take them with them from the bar when they show you to your table? By the time they arrived my husband had got up from the table to look at what was on offer on the blackboard. We ordered drinks,me from the table, and my husband from across the room when the owner shouted across to him to ask what he wanted!

Deciding on two course each, I passed on the starter, but my other half chose a trout dish off the blackboard. It was nicely presented, and there was plenty of it, but sadly it hadn't as much taste as my husband expected from trout.

Our main course were Pork Two Ways - pan seared pork fillet medallions and honey roasted pork belly with boulangere potatoes and cider jus at £15.95, as very sadly the venison dish on the menu was finished and Lairies Gambas - King prawns cooked in a lime, chilli, sweet pepper and coconut sauce, served with warm bread and butter and a side salad and crusty bread at £13.50. I've had this twice before and the sauce has been different everytime! Sometimes it is far more creamy than ohter times. I always have to ask for a spoon, as it is very saucy, and without rice to mop it up, you'd be leaving loads of it, if your only eating implements were a knife and fork! The Pork was very good too.

I, having declined the starter wanted a dessert. Our main course plates were cleared by a young lad who asked if we wanted the dessert menu, and I of course said 'Yes'. Well, we waited, and we waited, and we waited, and when 15 minutes passed and we had witnessed him larking around in the lounge bar, just out of sight of catching his eye, it was a poor female we shouted for to request she bring us the menu. By this time lots of diners had gone, so they weren't busy any longer - perhaps why service declined.

I chose a Passionfruit Brulee and it was delicious - so I guess it was worth the wait.

With a large glass of red wine, and a fruit juice, our 4 courses came to just over £51, and we had a £25 voucher, so seemed like a good deal on this occasion.

The prices aren't the cheapest, however, the food is generally very good, but I do think a bit more consideration for the customer would not go amiss. After all, Lairhillock is located about 14 miles out of Aberdeen, and there are so many great places to eat in the city, that if you can't book a table when you want it, and service isn't tremendous, folks will save on fuel and not make the drive out into the country. If the Crynoch restaurant has closes, because it wasn't busy enough, they really need to please customers who do visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
alford,scotland
“birthday meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

food ,staff,atmosphere all great . excelent choice on menu .. good meal had by all . even when our table wasnt ready for us , the staff was most helpful and considerate . well done