“fabulous!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“fabulous!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

we had the most fabulous stay here. We were there for halloween 2007. The staff was amazing and the room was great too!! we even used the pool/spa facilities which were so nice! I would definitely stay there again and recommend it. The breakfast included with our room rate was awesome too.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

I stayed in the hotel for 1 night on 4th November with a group of friends and I have to say it was fantastic. The hotel staff were very welcoming from the very beginning. Irons and ironing boards were delivered on request! We did not eat in the hotel but availed of the residents bar after visiting the local pubs and clubs. The bar staff and manager were very friendly and nothing was a problem to them. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and the hotel itself is beautiful. Very modern and of a high standard. We stayed in a triple room which actually had 2 double beds. The room was very big and spotless.I really could not fault this hotel in any way.

The hotel is located in walking distance to everywhere.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

Just returned from a weekend break in the City Hotel with my wife. To be honest after reading the negative reveiws I was worried having already booked over the internet. I suppose everyone is entilited to thier veiws and some have an axe to grind in relation to thier stay, however both my wife and I found the hotel to be excellent, location was central, room was good, service was good aswell as the food. The pool, steam room etc not to be missed, I am a frequent leasure traveler throughout Ireland and with the ever increasing price of a pint and a meal in the South, I can highly recommend Derry and the City Hotel for a better value weekend break as opposed to Dublin etc.

Stayed November 2007
N. ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

stayed in this hotel for two nights over Halloween. The hotel was buzzing when I arrived but I was able to have an exceelent buffet meal and watch the fireworks at the same time.The starters were very good ,tomato and beetroot soup, a delicious caesar salad, jumbo prawns,and lots more .The main coure was choice of turkey ham and beef -with all the trimmings very trad . but wholesome and tasty huge portions.The desserts were fantastic homemade apple crumble individual banoffee and lemon meringue pies were amongst the best of a very good bunch-service very good also.The halloween ball was very well suppoted with a great band the Mindbenders and supporting disco .What made it for me was the very high standard and originality of the costumes (this is de rigeur for the whole city ).Breakfast was also very good-nothing out of the ordinary and I venture to say that the coooks could be a bit more adventurous here althouh everything was hot fresh and well cooked.The staff again excellent and my request for soya milk was swiftly met.Rooms were spacios clean warm and well equipped sound proofed.Good facilities but i think wi fi should be free these days.A good offer was availlble-24 hr internet and unlimited movies for £15 .Good shower .Very friendly staff obviously well managed. Finally the location on the river front and central to all city centre facilities was great.I would definitey go back.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

I stayed here for one night in October following a conference held in the same hotel. The conference rooms were large and well heated/lit but they lacked provision of additional writing paper/stationery etc.

The lady who checked me in was very friendly and looked professional. My room on the 3rd floor overlooked the river and Guildhall and was very large for a standard room. The furniture was adequate and the provision of a desk and chair with reading lamp was welcomed. The bathroom again clean bright and reasonably spacious. Toiletries were basic.

The large double bed was dressed with 2 single duvets which really dont work very well whether there are one or two in the bed! Pillows were dreadful - hard and not sure what they are filled with. I requested a feather pillow from reception. I was told they did have a few but the housekeeper had left for the evening and a porter would drop one up to the room. I am still waiting! Hospitality tray consisted of basis instant coffee/tea. No biscuits. Internet access from the room is available on the TV if you don't have your own laptop .. but expensive.

Dinner in the restaurant is reasonably priced and the room is very pleasant and nicely lit. However the 'banquet' type seat at my table was badly stained. Breakfast is unremarkable. The usual bacon, sausage etc. The potato bread was as dry as a board and the tomato warm rather than cooked. Orange juice - def not freshly squeezed and the fresh fruit bowl consisted of apples and pineapple. I discoverd sliced melon later in a different area beside the cooked breakfast. The highlight was the lovely brown bread.

If you wish to read a newspaper with your breakfast or whilst sitting in the lounge area you have to buy it.

I was not aware that there was a swimming pool in the building!

Despite the size of the bedrooms I would not rate this as a 4 star hotel.

• Liked — Spacious bedroom , views and convenience for city centre
  • Disliked — Hard pillows and unimaginative food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ayr,scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

We were booked in as room only and therefor can`t comment on breakfast , which seams to be a disapointment for previous posters. We did however have 3 meals in the hotel and all were excellent. Sunday to Thursday they do a 321 dinner menu for 2 people. You get 3 courses plus tea or coffee and a bottle of wine for £32.50. We had dinner another night, and the Sunday lunch buffet . Absolutely no complaints regarding the food or the prompt and friendly service from a young but efficient waiting staff. Booking is reccommended.
No problems with reception staff who were polite and helpful, but the bar staff need a polite word of guidance. I was short changed twice which I pointed out, you would have thought it was my mistake. The senior bar person was the most arrogant and distasteful person I came across in Derry. He has a severe attitude problem and has obviously never heard of service with a smile. I would reccommend that a better system is put in place for after hours bar service for hotel guests. You cannot pay in cash and must charge to your room, but as I had not lodged a credit card or cash with reception, drinking after 12.20 am was out for me. Drinks were reasonably priced .
Our room was spacious with 2beds a desk and chair , a table with 2 chairs, a dresser and open wardrobe space with a trouser press. Usual shower over bath and toiletries supplied. Tea and coffee making facilities with biscuits provided. Television channels were poor with news provided by Al Jazeerah, would you beleive. Cleaning staff very efficient. Our room overlooked the busy roundabout at the front of the hotel and we had some traffic noise but it did not disturb our sleep.
As the hotel was fully booked for some of our stay the leisure centre was very busy so we didn`t bother.
We would certainly stay at this hotel again, you can walk to the shops, the bus station, tourist board and a great choice of local bars. The city walls are just around the corner as well as the Guildhall and Museum. There is a lot to see in Derry and although hilly in part you should have few problems. The open top bus is reccommended.
A suggestion for breakfast, if you are room only, try Wetherspoons next to the Travelodge and virtually behind the City hotel, around £3 for a cooked breakfast with coffee.
We booked this hotel using hotelscomparison.com and Hotelclub as they were cheapest. I would advise going by way of hotelscomparison as the price was cheaper than going directly to hotelclub`s website. They will also give other prices and options.

• Liked — Location, room size and restaurant
  • Disliked — Bar staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Fernandina Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

We stayed here two nights and was quite satisfied. Had no problems with anything.

Good location for exploring stroke city on foot. There two days and never moved the car until we checked out.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to City Hotel? Share your experiences!