My partner and I stayed here for one night in August 2013 whilst visiting Londonderry/Derry. After reading reviews online, I had high expectations for Elagh View, was thinking something special - unfortunately it did not deliver. Don't get me wrong, the B & B is nice, and the owners are lovely, but it is nothing more than average, and fails on some basic elements.
1. Owners - very welcoming and pleasant.
2. Location - great for us out in the rural countryside, near Donegal border (via Buncranna road - 5 mins and you are into Southern Ireland) - not good without a car.
3. Views - from breakfast room, stunning countryside.
4. Parking on-site, included
1. Cleanliness - the kitchen was awful, dirty pots everywhere, old toast pieces left out, dog/cats roaming in and out of house, around guest areas.
2. No tea/coffee/kettle in room.
3. We booked a double with ensuite, but got a double with separate/shared bathroom (we didn't mind, but shows disorganisation).
4. No toiletries.
5. Small towels (1 per person).
6. TV didn't work in our room.
7. No wardrobe in room.
8. Bed/mattress uncomfortable (springs)
9. Breakfast - no fresh coffee (cheap instant stuff, but there was lots of tea),, irish breakfast (cooked) was quite dry/bland, but fruit salad and cornflakes nice.
10. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED AS A METHOD OF PAYMENT - just so you know.
All in all, it's OK as a B&B, but I wouldn't stay here again out of choice, and would recommend looking elsewhere if you want something special/different/luxury, or just good value for money. For what it is, this place is slightly over-priced (65 ish per room).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
I am so very disappointed that you felt we did not live up to our excellent reputation. It is obvious from the review that you were annoyed that I had to contact booking.com when you did not return for over 4 hours to settle your bill.
Report response as inappropriate
Please accept my sincere apologies if I caused you any embarrassment for it certainly was not my intention, I just felt that it was necessary to call them in case you simply forgot as you had said you would return within 15 minutes.
It is easy to write things from a place of anger and I don't judge you for that if you felt that I embarrassed you.
For the benefit of future guests I feel that I have to correct some of the information you stated that is 100% factually incorrect or misrepresented.
1. Yes we do have a miniature Pomeranian dog called Foxy but at no stage is she allowed in guest areas.
2. Yes we do have two outdoor cats that are never in the house as I and my son are allergic to them.
3.You did not have a shared bathroom you had a private external bathroom.
4. There is no kettle in the room but guests can help themselves at any time to tea and coffee in the dining room.
5. We supply all guests toiletries including hand soap, hand lotion and toilet rolls.
6. Each guest receives a pack of three towels,face,hand and bath.
7. To this day we have been unable to find a fault with the Television.
8. No wardrobe as such but sufficient storage and hanging space.
9. PLEASE NOTE CASH IS ACTUALLY OUR PREFERRED METHOD OF PAYMENT.
I am in the business to provide the best level of service I can, I really do try to live up to my excellent reputation, I love meeting new people and you both seemed like a lovely couple and I can honestly say I am sorry that things turned out the way they did. I wish you all the best.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.