“A good recommendation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Saddlers House and the Old Rectory

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derry
The Saddlers House and the Old Rectory
You added The Saddlers House and the Old Rectory to your Saves list
36 Great James St, Derry BT48 7DB, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #21 of 44 Derry B&B and Inns
Bangor
“A good recommendation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

On a cycling trip I decided to stops Londonderry overnight, and I was referred to the Saddlers House from another fully booked establishment. When I arrived I was warmly greeted and ushered inside, thankfully they had a small room available for the night. I was greatly relieved as Londonderry was particularly busy this week. Although the room was small it was very comfortable and the shower room was just next door with the toilet on the next landing down. There was a very nice guest lounge with a PC and free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was very nice, including many home made dishes. My personal favourite was the stewed apples. As this is a very central B&B I expected the rates to be quite high, but was pleasantly surprised at the £40 bill. Great location and friendly/helpful owners and staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This B&B is very convenient to downtown, parking on street can be tricky. Double-occupancy room was nice size but...bathroom very tiny! Breakfast not up to par with other B&B's. Peter and 'kitchen elves' very personable and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a large booking and I was last minute so did end up in a very small room, however the (very used) dressing gown on the back of the door was slightly strange! The bed was comfortable if a little musty smelling, but this is a B&B and wasn't expensive (£40 per night). The shower was just outside the room and the toilet one flight down. The shower cubicle is small and tight and I'm not a big lass but it's manageable. The breakfast was plentiful, stewed fruits, homemade yoghurt, as much wheaten bread as we could eat and an ok cooked breakfast. Morning staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for you. (Peter and Joan had gone away...)
Great location for river walks, walking the walls and literally minutes from the shops, centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

When one looks at review scores, one must also qualify the writer. If someone is used to staying at Motel 6 or hostels, their awarding a 4 or 5 star rating means a whole lot different than someone else who is used to staying at a mid-level or full service hotel and awarding the same 4 or 5 stars.

I make no bones about my staying at mid level, and above hotels and B & B's. Thus, I award this b&b 1 star.

My wife and I stayed here one night. As it was late on our arrival, I did not even suggest that we forgo any deposit or even the full fare of the stay (an absurdly expensive £70) and check into another b&b or hotel instead of staying here.

The bedroom was very small. We had a double bed, small by American standards when we are used to queens. The bathroom/toilet was tiny...so tiny that I could barely turn around in the shower. So tiny that when I sat down on the toilet, I barely could close the door in the wee and teeny bathroom.

While the room seemed clean, the kettle was dusty, as was the sole fan in the guest house. I don't mind mismatched towels, but they at least should not be fraying with holes.

The only attribute this place has is its proximity to city centre. Though there are doubtless other options.

If you are used to hostels or on a budget, then this is a 4-5 star experience, except for the price. If you are used to a minimum level of comfort, then this is a 1star level place. If you are used to a middle or higher level of comfort; do not stay here!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Yes, the rooms and bathrooms are small, but they are clean and cozy. I really enjoyed our 2-night stay here. Peter and Joan are sweet and gave some great recommendations. Easy walk to the murals, Peadar O'Donnel's, the Foyle. We also had the pleasure to dine one morning at their other location, the Merchant's House, just 2 blocks away. Met some interesting travelers and, of course, had FANTASTIC breakfasts. The price seemed to be what we paid for most of our places throughouth Northern Ireland and Ireland (except Dublin) - 35€ per person per night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Would definitely recommend staying here. Peter and Joan are very friendly and helpful, recommending restaurants and attractions nearby and giving us a map to help. The house is very central but away from the noise of the city centre. Although the room and ensuite were small they were perfectly adequate.We also found Derry a very interesting and friendly city. Would definitely stay here again if in Derry.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Schwerte, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

On a short roundtrip through Northern Ireland my mom and I stayed at the Saddlers House.
We enjoyed our time there a lot.
Joan and Peter were soft-hearted, really friendly and helpful. Joan's homemade soda bread and the marmelades were extremly delicious! But also all the rest of the breakfast was perfect.
The location was very central but still quiet and parking was free on the streets.
We can definately recommend the Saddlers House.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Saddlers House and the Old Rectory? Share your experiences!