“Potted History” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 27 Activities in Derry
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Potted History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Martin McCrossan { of Derry City Tours]. I have been living and working as an artist in Donegal/Derry. Over this time I have become acquainted with this extraordinary city and its wonderful people, and had begun to delve into the history both past and contemporary. Whilst talking to Martin about my watercolour postcards which he is promoting, he suggested I take the tour. I met John, my guide on a freezing november day, who I had all to myself! He was absolutely brilliant. Presented everything so clearly and succinctly, as the history is nothing if not complicated!The tour lasts about an hour, moving carefully around the city walls describing key events that have forever shaped this place and its inhabitants. To visit Derry and not to take this particular tour would be a terrible lost opportunity, as there is almost an obligation to understand what has happened here and to witness its fragile beauty. This is a city undergoing an exciting renaissance , and next year with the amazing accolade of the "City of Culture 2013" , there is now more reason than ever to come , participate, and learn. Thank you John and Martin. You are truly assets and ambassadors for Derry.

Paris, France
20 attraction reviews
“Very moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

On a coach trip from Scotland, Malcolm came on our coach and took us on a tour round the city, sensitively explaining the history and sights. Well worth the £ 4.00 and a real insight into the town. Interesting background before getting off the coach to explore on our own.
Never expected to visit Derry but we found it really fascinating, lots to explore, good views from the walls, beautiful cathedrals, Peace bridge, murals and statue - we were tired but quite enthralled at the end of our day.
Legenderry is certainly worth a visit and like everywhere else we went in Ireland, we felt really welcomed.

Dublin, Ireland
45 attraction reviews
“Tour of the city walls of Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

On a miserable, grey & wet Thursday in November I took the Derry City Walls tour with John, one of the Derry City Tours guides. There were six visitors on the tour and, within five minutes, I had forgotten what a gloomy day it was. John's tour was informative, amusing, and very balanced. He answered every question he could and never tried to wing an answer; if he did not know, he said so but that was not often necessary! The tour was at the perfect speed and had just the correct amount of information; there was no information overload or a feeling that we had been short-changed. It gave us a great overview of what has quickly become one of my favourite cities in Ireland.

The complimentary cup of coffee afterwards was a bonus; three of us (two Italian & one Irish), who had been total strangers ninety minutes before, swapped e-mail addresses in the cafe over really good coffee and soups in the Java Coffee Shop.

It was one of the best tours I have been on, anywhere.

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief visit to Derry and fully intend to return, next time to include a tour of the Inishowen peninsula as recommended by John.

Thanks to everybody involved in Derry City Tours. I highly recommend you make a detour to take this excellent tour.

Longford, Ireland
“Excellent insight to a truly historical city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I have been to Derry on many occasions and done the city tour with Martin Mc Crossan I must say I've never seen anyone more passionate about his city it's history both past and present. I can't recommend this tour enough. Great tour great value well done Martin.

“Martin's enthusiasum for his home town is infectious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We took the walking tour of The Walls on an extremely cold day but were warmed by the welcome from Martin. A truly informative insight into Derry's role in our country. Martin's passion for progress is a joy to watch, like a favourite teacher he made learning fun. All the information you receive and a cuppa is clearly a bargain!