“The best little guest house in Derry.” 4 of 5 stars

Clarence House Guest House
15 Northland Road, Derry BT48 7HY, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Derry B&B and Inns
Derry, United Kingdom
“The best little guest house in Derry.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This has to be the best guest house in Derry, it is even recommended by Charlie Landsboro, who has stayed here many times in the past. There is a bedroom called the Landsboro suite.High praise indeed, you will have a very good time here as the owner,Michael Slevin will do everything in his power to make sure you are comfortable.Clarence House is only a few hundred yards from the centre of town and the nightlife, there are a few shops in the immediate vicinity where you can stock up on the little things,such as cigarettes,papers,sweets etc; Meals are good and there quite a few good restaurants nearby if you fancy eating out.Visit sometime you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I would say only one thing, the front of the building faces a fire station, so you might be wakened...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I spent two wonderful weeks at the Clarence House in May 2012 and was treated with true Irish hospitality. I slept in Room 6 on the third floor. My room was well decorated and very spacious with a nice LCD TV to catch up on BBC news at night. Michael Slevin, the innkeeper at Clarence House is a very kind man, he took very good care of me and my friends. Every morning I was welcomed to a HUGE Irish breakfast with every breakfast food I could imagine... The tea and coffee were so wonderful and the quality and choices could not be beat. The highlight of my day was to come down to breakfast, drink my coffee and listen to the radio Michael would play. Michael spent so much effort into my breakfast and cleaning my room (once in the morning and again around 5pm for turn down service). I was very impressed!

If you are looking for an authentic Irish experience with a great Irish breakfast, this is the place for you! If you are looking for white glove service and something similar to a Hilton... Then GO to a Hilton! The Clarence House is owned and operated by a homeowner, therefore, you are a guest in his home. Treat Michael with some respect, and he will do the same. I have nothing but great things to say about Michael. I would highly recommend to anyone staying in Derry to stay at The Clarence House. I look forward to staying there again on my next trip to Derry!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay in the Landsborough Suite at the Clarence House and I have to say, this has been one of the best experiences in a bed and breakfast I've ever had. The keep, Mr. Slevin is kind and humorous and will go out of his way to help when asked. Mr. Slevin prepares a full Irish breakfast every morning and cleans the rooms meticulously every day. He even took me and 3 other guests on a personal tour of the area, seeing a fort built in 300 B.C., Donegal and a lovely island called Inch Island. The accommodations are well kept and clean and absolutely stunning in the way they're set up. I HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: The Landsborough Suite is absolutely lovely.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our trip overseas was 99% pre-planned. The only night we left open was when we eventually landed in Derry. The wonderful lady at tourist info told us there was a huge jazz festival on, plus a bank holiday weekend,and tried her best to find us accommodations. She succeeded finding the four of us rooms at Clarence House. It's a beautiful, old Victorian guest house. We found the rooms clean, and what can we say about Michael? He certainly entertained and welcomed us warmly. We have absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: On street parking and reasonable walking distance to restaurants. Even the uphill climb walking back...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I came to Ireland with a study abroad and we stayed at the Clarence House. I cannot believe ow overwhelmingly wonderful the inn keeper is. Every morning he cooks a full hot breakfast complete with multiple types of meat and eggs along with pastries and homemade porridge (the best)!! There is a bar downstairs, and the rooms are clean and quaint. I had my own bathroom with wonderfully hot water in the shower. The bed was comfortable, and the room servicing was fantastic. Every day my shoes were lined up neatly and my jackets hung up. If I come back to Derry/Northern Ireland, this is the only place I would stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The Clarence House and it's proprietor, Michael Slevin, exemplify all that is warm and wonderful about Derry and his beautiful homeland of Ireland. The Clarence house is Charming and beautiful, the rooms are clean and quaint, the beds unbelieveably comfortable.On cold nights the heat is perfect. He transforms the living area into a gorgeous dining room for a delicious full breakfast in the morning, even with a full house, every person is so well cared for, why would you stay anywhere else? It is conveniently located to all you would want to see in this lovely town of Derry, the new Peace bridge over the river Foyle, both colleges, North West Regional University and the University of Ulster, the shops and wonderful restaurants along the waterfront. I can't reccommend this wonderful guest house highly enough!! Cheers and Enjoy!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I stayed for two weeks because my employer was paying the bill The place was filthy I had to ask the owner to vacuum my room The milk in the room was replaced only when it became curdled After having words with the owner about deliberately keeping me waiting at the front door before he let me in , ( a little game he plays to amuse himself) the quality of breakfast changed The bacon tasted like it had been lost in the back of the fridge for years Apart from that , it is in a good position and within easy walking distance to central Derry The owner told me that he was sick of being in the business and wanted to sell up and move away It shows The sooner the better

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Clarence House Guest House? Share your experiences!