“Highly Recommended, Great food, Beautiful surroundings, Warm and welcoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Custom House Restaurant

Ranked #33 of 139 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended, Great food, Beautiful surroundings, Warm and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I visited Custom House to catch up with friends at the weekend as it was recommended to us... and what a great choice! The building itself was beautiful, very central, comfortable and very stylish. The staff were more than helpful and made us feel welcome and very much at ease. The menu was great value for money and the food was amazing! We tried a few different dishes as there were a wide variety to choose from and everyone was really impressed with their choice. The portion sizes were generous and very tasty. We will definitely be back in the near future and would highly recommend. Made my weekend. Lovely experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
CustomHouseDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Custom House Restaurant, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. Your comments are very refreshing and I will certainly pass them on to the staff.

Benicia California
“Mother's 80TH Birthday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Just had my mothers 80th Birthday on Wednesday October 5th a BIG thank you to Sonia and staff for putting all of my requests together. The food and service was excellent, and every thing went well
The reason I picked this restaurant I was home visiting Derry in the summer and my friend and I went for a meal it was so good that I said this is where I will have my mother-in - laws Birthday.
As we where bringing American friends I wanted a nice place and good food and the Custom House has both I new they would love this place and they did. :) Thanks again .
Lorraine.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you Lorraine, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself just as much second time around. We love to personalise customers dining experience as much as possible, by putting in your requests it makes it easier to do this. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Derry, United Kingdom
“The worst dining/lack of management experience I had ever encountered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Last night, my boyfriend and I booked a meal in the restaurant for the first time. When we arrived the restaurant itself, it was stunningly beautiful. We were taken to our table by a blonde hair lady who provided us with menus and took our drink order. We found the menu had a great choice of dishes and were very excited to try them. I decided to order the pork belly and my boyfriend opted for the monkfish. However, twenty minutes had passed and our food order was not taken. We both thought that this was extremely poor as the restaurant was not overly busy. It seemed like we were simply put forgotten about.
Finally a young waitress came to the table and we gave her our order. Monkfish and pork belly. The waitress explained that there was no monkfish. My boyfriend was very disappointed as he was looking forward to sampling the dish. However, the very polite waitress went on to explain that the kitchen also had no hake, stuffed chicken, and venison. This we both felt was extremely poor as this was nearly half the main course menu. I was extremely shocked that a restaurant could open to patrons with a menu with such a number of dishes outstanding from the menu.
I personally felt embarrassed for this young girl having to pass this information on to paying customers due to the lack of organisation for a busy weekend by the management/chef. For a restaurant which is allegedly supposed to be one of the best in town, I find this absolutely shocking.
My boyfriend decided to order the lamb rack from the remains of the menu. The young waitress flushed red and apologised once again that the lamb tonight was not lamb rack but rump. This was the final straw in a disastrous menu ordeal. At this point, we both got out of seat and walked to the till and said that we were leaving.
I would like to point out that no manager or supervisor spoke to us to enquire what the reason was for the both of us to walk out of the restaurant. I feel that this is extremely poor customer service and the management should be ashamed of themselves. The lady who took us to our seats should have told us about the gapping holes in the menu before she proceeded to take our drink order and kept us waiting twenty minutes to make the order.
We both had a sip from each of our drinks and the staff proceeded to charge us for the drinks, which were overpriced one pint of Peroni and a half pint of Peroni for £8.10!!!!! We were furious that no one queried the reason as to why we left. I feel that this restaurant has an arrogance which has caused them to lose their focus with their customers.
This has been the worst restaurant experience I have ever had and as a couple we have been to literally every restaurant in the town. Some restaurants we have had rubbish food but I can honestly say that we have had such a poor experience or lack of in this case with management and the lack of menu choice due to the running out of dishes. 0/10

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your positive and negative feedback. Unfortunately all weekend we were extremely busy and come Sunday we were certainly 'caught out' with our food supplies. All our fish is brought in fresh & we cant get deliveries on Sunday's. Five dishes out of 24 main course dishes is too much to have off at any one time & we agree this is embarrassing for our staff to tell customers. We have taken your comments on board & hope you will revisit us again.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Absolutely perfect venue for a (smallish) wedding reception!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We had our wedding reception at the top floor function room in Custom House and we could truly only describe the experience with one word - wonderful! Our 50+ dinner guests raved about the superb quality of the food and the gracious and friendly staff. The table settings were pristine. A further 60 evening guests joined the celebration and thoroughly enjoyed the excellent buffet food.

Custom House has an elegant yet relaxed ambiance. Our guests were able to order from the lovely set menu. The staff who served the meal were highly efficient and very courteous to everyone they encountered - the bar staff were equally so.

The acoustics are great also!

It's a lovely venue and we can't recommend it highly enough.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CustomHouseDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Custom House Restaurant, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
How could we forget hosting our first Wedding! I will pass your lovely comments on to the staff, it was a great evening, it was a pleasure to host. Hopefully it's the first of many to come! Keep in touch.
belfast
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

we were told by friends to go to custom house and we were not disappointed the place took my breath away on entry to exit absolutely outstanding food and service the staff could not do enough for u, and you just feel so special while dining here. the interior was beautiful and chic throughout and the food is to die for. would recommend to anyone and cant wait to eat there the next time we go to derry.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us, we are delighted to hear your wonderful comments. We hope you return to visit us soon.