“A Highlight of our Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 16 Tours & Activities in Derry
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Michael Cooper offers fantastic guided tours of Derry and the wider north of Ireland which are great value and extremely informative. Michael Cooper is the only Blue Badge guide in Derry-the highest accreditation in the guiding industry. Michaels tours are available on foot or by private vehicle hire. He also offers step on guides for coaches whether half day, full day or all Ireland. Michael guarantees the best rates in the industry-for example a private hire tour of the Giants Causeway is only £120 for up to four people. Tour options include Derry (including the city walls and Bogside murals), the Causeway Coast (including the Giants Causeway, Bushmills Distlliery and Carrick a rede ropebridge), Glens of Antrim, Sligo, Fermanagh, Belfast, Armagh, the Sperrins as well as trips to Inishowen, the Donegal Highlands, south Donegal (including Slieve League seacliffs) Arranmore island and Dublin. Michael specialises in political tours which describe the origins and events of the conflict in the north of Ireland as well as the peace process. He is also a published historian and elected representative in the local government in Derry giving him a unique insight into the ongoing peace process and the ability to organise Q &A's with ex-prisoners and colleagues involved in the peace process negootiations.
Tucson
“A Highlight of our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Six weeks before we knew we would be in Derry, my husband and I booked Michael for a day's tour to include the Giants Causeway and also an area inland from Coleraine where I was searching for ancestral roots. My third great grandfather had emigrated to Pennsylvania in the 1700's. On the appointed day Michael picked us up at our B&B and we headed toward the Giants Causeway--very scenic and enjoyable. Next he drove us to the inland area and, with his wonderful help, it was exciting to see the countryside and to find gravestones with the surname we were looking for in two cemeteries. Michael is very personable and, with his education and experience, is a wealth of information. Further it is obvious he is a loving husband and father. At the Free Museum in Derry we purchased two very informative books compiled by Michael. We wholeheartedly recommend Derry Blue Badge Guide!

Hamilton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Worth every penny!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

When we decided to include a few days in Northern Ireland in our travel plans I thought it would be extremely helpful to have a local guide to explain the history and politics of the area. Hiring a private guide was a huge splurge for us, but I have to say it was worth every penny!! Even before we got to Ireland Michael offered us his assistance planning our itinerary so we could get the most out of our visit. We started out by taking a group walking tour of the walls with Michael. The pace was comfortable and his knowledge is first-rate. For those with little or no background about the area it is a wonderful overview. We then spent the remainder of the day on a private tour with Michael touring the Innishowen Pennisula. The scenery was beautiful, but my favourite part was the personal stories that Michael so generously shared with us. It brought the area to life for us. We were also fortunate enough to share the Giant's Causeway and Antrim Coast with Christy, one of Michael's guides. As was the case with Michael, Christy's information went well beyond names and dates. His honesty and sincerity made this one of the most memorable days of our holiday. After three days in the region we went away with a much better sense of the passion and the struggles of the fine folks of Derry then if we had just left it up to a guidebook or group tour. Thank you so very much Michael and Christy!

Seattle, Washington
7 attraction reviews
“A true sense of Derry's history, by the people who live it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family and I went on a short (1.5h) private tour around the old city walls of Derry with Michael, a resident active in local politics. I wasn't sure what to expect from the tour, knowing very little about the city or the Troubles. We were all absolutely impressed by Michael's tour - a fascinating introduction to the history of the town (and the whole of Ireland) from the 1700s to the present. At one point, looking out over the primarily catholic/republican neighborhood adjacent to the walls, he described the events leading up to and including "Bloody Sunday", pointing out various landmarks integral to the story. It was as if we were watching it unfold in front of us, so vivid was his description. We left the tour a little more educated about an important part of history, as well as hopeful about how things are turning around for this part of the world.

Michael was knowledgeable, personable and enthusiastic. As a member of Derry City Council, he is personally involved in the ongoing effort to make Derry a better place. I would recommend this tour (with him specifically as guide) without hesitation.

Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Derry's insider guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Generally I hate tours but we took a tour of Derry's complex history with Michael Cooper and it transformed our experience of the town. In a couple of hours Michael's tour made me feel like "I knew Derry" just as well as I've known places I lived in for years. His tour was more than dragging us around to get photos by historic places, It allowed us to see the city through the eyes of a local, a historian and a scholar. I highly recommend it. If I go back, I will be sure to seek out Michael again because there is so much more I want to know about this area of the world. Also, he knows the area so well, he can recommend the best pubs within 100 miles of Derry!

Visited May 2012
Derry, United Kingdom
“Great Tour around Derry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Booked Free Derry Tours for a group of local people that have never been on a tour of their local city and Micheal provided a fantastic detailed overview of the city and planned events that were coming up during the City of Culture. His knowledge and facts are second to none and kept the whole group engaged throughout.

Visited May 2012