“Exceptional in EVERY way! Cannot wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfoot Hotel

You added Waterfoot Hotel to your Saves list
Waterfoot Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Caw Roundabout | Waterside, Derry BT47 6TB , Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Coleraine
“Exceptional in EVERY way! Cannot wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My Husband and I recently stayed for a weekend break at the Waterfoot Hotel. We were blown away by the chic decor on arrival. The service we recieved was excellent with polite and attentive staff, they are a real credit to this hotel! The winebar food was also fantastic. This hotel made our weekend break and I cannot recommend enough for others to stay, we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I am delighted you had a great experience at The Waterfoot Hotel and it made your break special for you. We will make sure our staff are made aware of your feedback and they get a big pat on the back. We do hope you will return again soon.Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spent a lovely time at the Waterfoot Hotel.

The food was particularly good and very well priced.

The staff were also very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Thank you for your excellent feedback and kind comments regarding our staff, service and food. We endeavour to provide excellent service to every customer and I am delighted you felt this on the case on your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterfoot Hotel again soon.
Omagh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Just writing to say I had dinner with my brother and his fiance on sunday evening and the service was very poor. we had to wait 45 minutes after finishing our main course to get a waitress to clear our table and offer us dessert. when she did give us the menu she went away again for 15 minutes. I wolud not have minded but there was alot of staff on and they kept walking past us as if we were not there. it got to a point we decided to go instead of waiting any longer. the meal itself was nice enough.

To finish, i had to queue to pay my bill to a young manager called diarmuid who was not very helpful, and was one of the people who again just walked past us. Very disappointing experience considering we actually had to book. will not be returning

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
We are disappointed you did not enjoy your dining experience in our Wine Bar. I am astounded you say you had to wait for 45 minutes to have your plates cleared. I have spoken to the staff who were covering your section and they do not agree with your statement. I have also spoken with Diarmuid and he recalls when you came to the till to pay that he asked you if everything was ok and you did not at any time raise any issues. We believe it is better to address any issues personally there and then but unfortunately you did not bring this to anyone's attention on the night. We are happy to discuss this in more detail with you if you would like to call us at the hotel and speak with our General Manager.
Alicante, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and my 7 year old son on a Sunday night. The reception looked very nice with a TV on the wall showing some very beautiful rooms. However ours was not so beautiful. The room was very basic; my son’s bed was a basic fold out camp bed which was not made up. Pillows and duvet covers were just left on top of it with the bed sheets and pillow cases there for us to make ourselves. We had to move furniture around the room to make the bed fit into one side of the room. The staff had simply abandoned it in the middle of the floor. The room had a very small TV with very poor reception (mostly static). There was no fridge in the room or any toiletries. The Hotel is also under the flight path of The City of Derry Airport and trust me you will know it. When we checked in payment in full was demanded for, which I thought seemed very sleazy and hard to believe this is how the hotel operated. It seemed to me like one of those hotels that are rented by the hour if you know what I mean. Finally in the snug bar the bar staff seem to have no idea regarding customer service and where just simply rude on leaving we asked if we could have a bottle of water to the room for the morning the bar man grunted a ”I suppose” then screwed off the top and threw it in the bin.
This one hotel I shall not be staying in again and in today’s climate where every customer counts this hotel seriously needs to rethink how it does business.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at The Waterfoot Hotel. I have investigated the points raised and would like to respond as follows: We apologize your child's camp bed was not made up as we usually do irrespective if your booking was last minute this should have been done. You state you were disappointed as there was no fridge in the room. We do not advertise fridges in our rooms and it is not usual in hotels in Northern Ireland to provide fridges except in our Suites. Shower gel, soap, shampoo & shower caps are automatically provided in all bathrooms & we can confirm these were in place during your stay. I can honestly say we have never had anyone mention air noise from the airport as we are located 7 miles from the airport and the airport closes each night between 8pm and 9pm. Your defamatory comment suggesting rooms are rented by the hour is completely refuted. The Waterfoot is a very professional and well run hotel and I ask you to remove this comment immediately. We are disappointed you chose not to bring any of these comments to the attention of management during your stay when we would have been able to speak with you face to face. We ask you to contact the hotel at your earliest so we can discuss your comments further.
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

If you have been to the waterfoot, you will be greeted with a modern and well dressed receoption area. The room we were presented with however did not quite match the exterior. Following our booking a couple of months prior to the wedding, we were contacted several times about paying in full the room rate for our one day visit or else the room would be released. When arriving at the hotel to pay the money, the employees at the desk informed us we did not have to pay and could do so at a later time if we so wished. We decided to leave the payment until a later time and of course were contacted again to request our payment or the room would be released. A shambles.

Anyway, the room. Upon entry to our accomodation, we were met with a mixture of sickening odours which could be distinguished as urine and stale ciggarette smoke(despite hotel no smoking policy). The window of the room looked out onto the roof of the kitchen from which its chimneys spewed the smell of cooking fat straight into the bedroom window. The bathroom contained only two towels. There was no soap in the shower or in the sink. With a sense of nausea and a headache developing, we decided to request a room change. After much fuss and about a wait of an hour, my self and my partner were presented with our room (twin beds). Although not ideal with the two single beds, we decided anything would be better than what we had. I pity the person who was left with our previous room.

Following our stay on the 6th May 2011, we emailed the waterfoot with our complaints. Until now, we have still not heard a single word back.

The food was grand!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
We are sorry your accommodation experience was disappointing as we received excellent feedback from other guests about their rooms and the wedding attended. I would also like to make you aware we only received notification of this complaint on Thursday 9th June via another source and have no record of receiving the email you refer to. You may be aware a block booking of rooms had been held aside for the wedding in question and as per the wedding contract we need to know 4 weeks in advance if the rooms are being confirmed or released. We do not require payment for your booking until departure but do require credit card details as a guarantee of your arrival. This is normal practice in most hotels, so you would have been contacted to submit card detail as a guarantee only. We have investigated your points regarding odours in the bedroom and believe these have come from the kitchen vent that you have brought to our attention. This is the first time we have ever received such comments and I can assure you as of today we have made structural changes to rotate the kitchen vent to ensure odours do not travel in the direction of the bedrooms. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. A full response will be submitted to you today via email now that we are in receipt of your correspondence.
Derry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I visited the Waterfoot on a Sunday evening at 4.30. I had checked their website which confirmed that restaurant service began at 4.30. However I was informed on arrival that the restaurant does not open until 5.00pm. After pointing out that the web page needed updating we sat down to wait. The receptionist apologised and offered us a complimentary drink which I thought was a nice touch.
I ordered beef pasta and my husband had monkfish. Both dishes were tasty enough although my husband thought the fish portion was a bit measly.
I thought the ambience was relaxed and the waitresses and receptionist were polite and attentive.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for submitting your feedback. We apologize the incorrect opening time was on our website and can assure you this has been rectified. I am pleased to hear our staff looked after you during your visit and offered you a complimentary drink. Your feedback on the food and service has been passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Rescently stayed at the waterfoot hotel, Food was great, rooms were clean, and staff were nice... But was told that entertaiment was provide, but was let dwn the last mintue with no dj.. So therefore went 2 another hotel 2 a disco to find it impossble 2 move in and wasnt made fell welcome at all, there was also a lot of fights and police about aswell....
However there was 1 member of staff from the waterfoot who couldnt have done enough for us, his name was patsy he was the cocktail maker, who took is time and was very paitent with us all, he was 1 of the nicest fella we all have ever met.... Thanks alot patsy for everything......

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
HelenSt, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback on the Waterfoot Hotel food and service. We are sorry to hear your experience at the second venue attended was disappointing. As you can appreciate issues at the nightclub you travelled to is outside of our control. We are currently re-looking at our weekend entertainment as we want to ensure our guests have an excellent experience from start to finish and we can provide that under one roof. We have passed your kind comments on to our Bar Manager Patsy and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Waterfoot Hotel? Share your experiences!