“great holiday” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Downs Road, Newcastle BT33 0AH, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
“great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Last stayed here in august 2012...it is brilliant hotel andwe really want to visit again soon. We also go for the upgraded deluxe room which is set into one of the curved bays...these rooms are well finished and very spacious. The food and service was of a high standard except one of ojr breakfasts had to be eaten in a back function room due to the main dining area being full. The also do not serve the proper pint of guinness which is a little strange for a major northern ireland hotel. Great location and good views of sea and Mournes added to our overall good experience. We would have no problem recommending this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I recently spent a one night break with my husband for my 'special' birthday. We were given a fabulous resort room with a wonderful sea view. The food was great and the staff attentive.
A big thank you to Jacqueline who looked after us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived just prior to 3pm and were told our room was not ready. We had already brought our luggage in but no offer was made to keep it for us. Had to ask could we leave it. Receptionist said she would ring us on mobile when the room was ready so we adjourned to Percy French and waited.... about 45 minutes later we went back to hotel and were told the room was ready. We said we had expected a phone call to let us know and receptionist said she never got round to it. Not a great start you would agree. In a hotel of this standard perhaps an offer of a coffe while you wait.

The room was lovely and things generally improved until breakfast. We had to wait in the lounge for a table, there they had orange juice but no glasses and cold coffee on offer. Granted they were rather busy but is that an excuse.

When we were seated for breakfast I perused the card on the table informing of all the local products on offer at breakfast. This would have been lovely had any of them been served warm never mind hot.

Enough said. Slieve Donard really has to imrove it's standards in my opinion to be worthy of its "star rating".

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed before this time was for 1 night and as usual the surroundings are lovely. The staff are ok, not brilliant, they don't seem to go that extra mile or want to do more than necessary. Our room was big but really old decor, bit fusty and very very cold, the windows were leaking water the entire time and only a few towels were used to try and stop the leaks. The big issue I have with this hotel is the cost of food and drink. We are already paying high prices to stay. A glass of wine was £9.50. The cheapest bottle was £32.
I've stayed before but doubt I'll stay again. Which is a pity.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I love the Slieve Donard - it is one of my two favourite hotels and I go there regularly. I would recommend it to anyone. However I have to agree to a point with the review regarding the recent sculptures. I appreciate art and can see the talent in them, but there are just too many . They are all of women as far as I can see and naked women at that. Given how much we are bombarded with nudity of the female body in today's world the last thing we girls need to see when on a relaxing holiday is more idealised feminine forms many standing or lying in provocative positions. Why are there no naked men if its a celebration of the human body? It's not even like there are a few token sculptures but the hotel is full of them - its hard to overlook. Honestly I felt uncomfortable and I agree it's too much and out of place in the hotel on such a scale. It's also very one sided and therefore gives impression it's sexualising female representation . I find it distasteful and I'm not sure how it will affect wedding photos. It would make me think twice Bout visiting the hotel. Can I ask management to be aware of their female customers and especially teenagers who are already bombarded with female nudity in the media.

• Stayed February 2014
Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night with my wife and I have to say, it's the small things that make all the difference. We try to get a few 1 or 2 night breaks a year just ourselves and always choose 4/5 star accommodation in Ireland. The hotel room was better than the hotel website photos (change photographer) but was only as good as any 4 star. Nice size with couch and chair off the the side of the room. But as I said, it's the small things that make a 5 star. Went for some cocktails in the bar before dinner. Ordered a strawberry daiquiri for my wife and watched he bar man open a carton of pouring strawberries - classy. Asked was there any snacks since we weren't eating for a few hours - answer was a solid no. The Percy French bar with food is at the end of the drive and the hotel only has the more formal Oak restaurant. I mean there was nothing, not a nibble, not a crisp, not a scone. So instead of sitting in the bar having some drinks and spending money all evening, I walked to the local shop, bought some goodies and we retired to the room. Sounds like a decision by an overly pretentious bar manager. Overall the bar was a bit soulless. No roaring fire, functional but not that relaxing. Breakfast room service was good, on time and a good selection.
The Spa however was one of the best we've come across. Well laid out, great service, great treatments and you could spend a whole day down there.
The hotel setting though is stunning. Great walks, views etc. Its like a place that has done all the training and courses to be a 5 star (it even has a gift shop) but just hasn't got around to implementing everything.
All in all a nice break and the spa might just take me back. But it is let down by an average hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Slieve Donard three times a year for the last five years and cannot find another hotel as good. Big thank you to Jacqueline who always looks after us. Staff, always wonderful. Massive luxurious king koil club class beds with the best bed linen, gorgeous rooms that are always spotless, a breathtaking spa with a view to die for from the floor to ceiling windows looking out to the ocean from the jaccuzi, pool and sauna.
Breakfast has to be experienced, never found a breakfast as good or such a variety in any other hotel. Another bonus is that after you check out at 11am, you have full use of spa and pool until 3pm at no extra charge. Go, you will will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Resort room with sea view are the best on 3rd Floor