“Beautiful views and spa” 4 of 5 stars

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Downs Road, Newcastle BT33 0AH, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views and spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The views from the spa and lighthouse lounge were amazing and overall we found the hotel extremely blissful and relaxing . The perfect location for a chilled trip. We had dinner and breakfast included in the package both were accecptable and with some tasty dishes, such as duck main course and pecan pie, but the pana cotta dessert was curdled and completely wrong. Breakfast was busy and had a lovely family atmosphere. I would have to say that the service is not necessarily what people might expect as "5 star" but mostly staff were friendly enough. The room was spacious as was the bathroom but not as modern as the pictures suggest but the beds are extremely comfortable and honestly one of the best hotel beds I have been in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for your kind words on the scenery and Spa facilities.

I have spoken to the Chef regarding your panncotta and he has asked that I pass on his apologies. I agree that the dessert should not have been served to you as it was and would like to assure you that had this been brought to the attention your server we eould have replaced it immediatley. We will certainly take your comments into consideration.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I spent 8 days in Ireland on a golf holiday. I spent one night at the Slieve Donard Hotel. It is adjacent to one of the best golf courses in the world, Royal County Down. The room was very comfortable, including the excellent bedding and bath facility. The hotel also included an excellent spa. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, including selection and quality. The hotel is right on the sea and has excellent views. Service was efficient. All in all an excellent hotel and a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

We are exceptionally lucky to be located as close as we are to the Royal County Down Golf Club, one of the world's finest, making us the perfect base for any golfing holiday. I am so pleased that our service and facilities matched the world class golfing right on our doorstep!

We hope you will return soon to see us again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Recently went down for a break to celebrate 3 glorious years of marriage. Disappointed at certain aspects. Upon arrival, we were told our rooms were not ready and waited until 15:30 until our rooms were ready. Hotel was over busy due to two weddings.

Rooms are clean, big and comfortable, bed was too soft and too high for my liking and the showers are designed for people under 4 ft....I had to crouch to wash my hair and I'm only 6ft!

The Spa is incredible, the view of the Mournes is spectacular!

Upon having a drink before going for our evening meal, we ordered 1 x Murphys (No Guinness can you believe!!!) and a spiriti and soft drink = £10.40 - V expensive! Needless to say we didn't hang around!

Breakfast in the morning was sub standard.....the fried breakfast was rated at 2/10!! I expected more.

Overall, the setting and atmosphere at the Slieve Donard oozes class, but the little touches let it down! Its very expensive and you will be forced to eat and drink in Newcastle! Would we be back?? Possibly, but it won't be top our agenda!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you would like to return.

Regarding the areas of concern highlighted in your review I am glad that they have been brought to my attention so that I may fully investigate.

The showers in all of our rooms are a standard height and should be accessible for all guests. I apologise if you had some discomfort in using your shower, shower heads should be adjustable.

We appreciate that there are aspects of any stay that won't be to everyones taste but we will certainly take your comments into consideration and make any necessary improvements.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Recent deal for two nights B&B and one evening dinner in Oak restaurant.
ROOM: Upgraded to superior room, without extra cost at booking time. Fabulous big room with good ensuite. The room had a big window with a view out over the sea and we were visited every morning by a real friendly seagull who sat outside and peered in through our window. We had the following facilities - iron/ironing board, tea/coffee making, safe on floor of wardrobe (not attached to wall and too low for older users to access readily). Bedroom was clean and bedding spotless but more stringent housekeeping care needed in ensuite (long dark hairs on floor and grime behind washbasin pedestal). I was able to have WIFI reception in my room for £10 per day (free in reception and bar areas). I thought this was a wee bit expensive so will use facility in bar on next visit.
RECEPTION: Very welcoming and easy check-in and out.
FOOD: Menu read very well with lots of choices available. However, the quality of the food (over two nights as we bought an extra night's meal) was variable. Our meal on the first night was really lovely but it was not good on night two and we wondered if there had been a change of chef on the second night. The melon starter was very hard-unripe and the loin of lamb was very tough. Partner's wild garlic dumplings were stodgy and inedible. The breakfast food was much better with a fabulous option of porridge with Bushmills whiskey. We were disappointed that the Percy French bistro at the end of the avenue up to the hotel was closed at the start of the week when we went but maybe that happens out of season. We had planned to eat there on our second night.
SPA: Lovely pool and hot tub but all the loungers were taken from early morning and covered with towels even though the pool users were not about. The reception staff dealt with this for me and had the towels removed. Sadly, by that time all the lounger cushions were very wet and uncomfortable. So I would suggest that if you want to have the amazing experience of lying on a lounger and looking out over the sea and the mountains of Mourne, go down early in the day. I did not have a spa treatment on this trip but, having stayed here last year with my daughter and having had a treatment, I can confirm that it was really luxurious and relaxing.
We will return and try to get a seaview room but will only do so on a B&B basis.
PLUSSES: Fabulous views, magnificent beach and great setting. The restaurant near the pool (I think it was called The Lighthouse) does great good value lunch type snacks. Grab a sofa there, if possible, views while eating are to die for. There is also a nice hotel shop, to the back of the reception, where you can purchase nice and sometimes quirky gifts.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room looking out over the front garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your February stay at the hotel.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough review of your time with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for highlighting the many positive aspects of the hotel as well as the areas for improvement. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and that the staff were able to provide assistance in order to resolve any concerns you had.

I will use your review as a tool to make improvements on the areas highlighted. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, you have to love the location of the hotel. Situated on the seafront and looking straight on to the Mourne Mountains. It's a wonderful view.

My stay was very disappointing however. To start it was fine, room looked tidy and staff were friendly upon arrival. Went for a beer in the downstairs lobby which was a nice relaxing area.

Dinner was in the Percy French restaurant, food was good but the noise was a little too much. I had the brie starter which states you get a piece of soda bread with it, and I didn't get the soda bread. The steak starter was great though, very tender. And the dessert was great too.

This is the part that it all fell apart. After dinner my partner and I went to our room to sleep, only to find that our room was right on top of a wedding party. We could hear every beat of music and scream from each individual. On pulling the bed sheets back, the mattress protector was spotted in alot of blood stains. I was not impressed and went to speak with staff in the lobby.

At the lobby, I was told that due to the wedding noise I could be moved room. However I woupd be downgraded with no offer of a refund. When I said I wasn't happy at this I was told I would have to wait until the end of the wedding just. I explained about the bed sheets too, and was told the sheets would be changed straight away. No one ever changed the sheets.

Next morning upon leaving the hotel, I spoke to the manageress, who was helpful with her apology and very pleasant.

This was my first trip to the hotel and sadly it will be my last. This is my review of the hotel resort and sorry to anyone who reads this and thinks this is the perfect hotel.

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointing aspects of your stay. It is our aim for all guests to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay and I regret that this has not been the case. I am pleased that you received excellent service from our Duty Manager in resolving your concerns but agree that your experience was not acceptable. I have spoken with our laundry supplier regarding the bed linen and I am confident there will be no further occurrences of this nature.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to provide you with the appropriate level of service on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Had a super weekend at Slieve Donard Hotel. Room had a great view of the sea and we slept in a bed offering pure comfort. Staff very friendly, attentive and smiling at all times. Food was delicious, both breakfast and dinner. Our son joined us for dinner in the evening and declared himself very impressed. We will be back! Thanks SDH!

• Stayed June 2013
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013

I am very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for choosing the hotel to celebrate such a special occasion. I will share your review with all staff members as recognition of their hard work.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Only was able to give 3 days notice for a one night stay for our anniversary and asked for a room with a view, didn't get one which was fair enough at short notice. When we arrived in our room the view was poor but i was pleased that the hotel were thoughtful enough to leave a card for my wife and a few sweets. However the card was a 'Happy Birthday' card not a 'Happy Anniversay' one which took the shine of things. Ah well.

Thank you for your review.

Regarding your request for an upgrade to a sea view room please be assured that when there is availability we try to accommodate our guests requests however during your stay all of these rooms were occupied.

Please accept our apologies for the mix up with your wife's card. It is always our aim to acknowledge guests' special occasions however, in our eagerness we seem to have made a mistake. Please be assured that we will take greater care in the future.

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!