“let down!!” 2 of 5 stars

Downs Road, Newcastle, Northern Ireland
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 82 Restaurants in Newcastle
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Situated in the grounds of the luxurious Slieve Donard Resort & Spa, the Perch French is the perfect place to relax with a drink and enjoy the finest of local produce, cooked to perfection.
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
“let down!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having stayed in the Slieve Donard we thought it be nice to try this place out. It looks grand from the outside and the menu looked nice and inviting. I was gutted to walk into what felt like a room full of tables with no character what so ever and for a Saturday night not many punters. It is late October which is understandable but i should have realised why. The staff where nice though and we got seated slap bang in the middle of the room. After studying the menu to discover very high prices for steak and 8oz fillet at £24 was a joke in my opinion when you can get 10oz in other places for £22. I decided to go for a 14oz on the bone rib eye at £19 i knew of course the bone adds to the weight but i felt some what dis-hearted by what arrived on my wooden block. I ask always for medium rare rested and the waitress didn't really understand what i was asking for. What did arrive was a medium well laking in flavour and seasoning. My girlfriend asked for a starter size haddock fish cake which she did enjoy and both meals where well presented but our table was not even checked on to see if we where enjoying our meal. When i asked for the bill i had been charged for a main size fish cake, easy mistake to make but really should not have happened in the first place. It was how ever corrected at the till but i felt let done by the experience but i don't think i will be back

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

When we entered the restaurant we were intially ignored by 2 servers before a 3rd greeted us with a grunt and said he'd be back in a minute (well we think that's what he said!). We were seated at a table across from a big bay window overlooking the sea. The view was a nice distraction from the lack of ambience. The food was alright but I've had much better. The desserts were quite good. We won't be rushing back any time soon I'm afraid.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Percy French, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Percy French.

With regard to your dining experiences I was disappointed that you had concerns with the service received from some staff members. I have passed your comments on to the Restaurant Manager who will address the issues detailed in your review with all relevant staff. Please be assured this is not reflective of the usually high standards offered at the Percy French or Slieve Donard Resort & Spa. Having not received any prior complaints of this nature I will endeavor to monitor this department in order to identify any areas for improvement.
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Evening meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We dined one evening at the Percy French restaurant. There was a good choice of menu which was very good. Unfortunately the waiter was very slow and we had to ask a few times for various things.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Percy French.

I am glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and appreiate your kind words regarding the menu selection. I have passed your concerns regarding the service on to the Manager so that we may seek to improve on the service we provide. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Bangor NI
“Good food but poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We have dined twice in Percy French restaurant while staying at the slieve donard hotel. On both occasions the food had been very good. Tasty, well presented and good portions.

Unfortunately the overall experience has been marred by poor service both nights. We have had to wait for our table, wait ages to have our order taken, wait ages to have used plates taken away and on second day had to go and ask for menu.

There seem to be plenty of staff but they are either standing about or showing each other stuff on their mobile phones. We even saw one eating a chip from a customers plate tonight.

This is such a pity as it could be a really nice restaurant if the service was sorted out

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Percy French.

I appreciate your kind words regarding the meals you enjoyed on this visit and hope that you will come back soon.

It is disappointing to hear that your time with us was marred by the service. I will speak with the Manager to ensure there are no further incidents similar to those detailed in your review.
United Kingdom
“A nice place to chill out in”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food wasn't as good as my last visit in Nov 2011 and the menu remains a bit limited for non meat eaters like myself. It is a bit pricy for what you get but it is welcoming and has a warm (if artifical) open fire

Visited October 2012