“Family Christmas Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Family Christmas Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

First time here, Been to Newcastle many time over tha last 36 years but this time was a short break to meet up with family for an xmas dinner.

It's easy to find A2 from Ardglas is the way we came, ample parking for the time of day 1pm so more lunch than dinner.

I thought the bar in the room we were in was quite small and they had problems with their gas supply to the beer taps, so quite a wait for a guiness. But not being a drinker I wouldn't know if the wait was worth it or not.

The seating area outside the restaurant seemed to me to be quite clinical but didn't matter on the scale of things once the entire family were sat on them.

The resaurant service seamed chaotic. I know there were lot's of us but waiters running around asking who wants what seemed odd to me.

However when I got my meal I could not complain. Starter mushroom with garlic. very nice, well presented.

Main meal Cod in a mustard sauce. to die for. I didn't get much as everyone at the table wanted to try it. Well done chef you excelled yourself here.

Sweet was lemon cake and custard but for what ever reason I could not fathom I waited and waited and asked 4 times if I was going to get it and others asked too.

When it finally came about 30 mins afer everyone else had finished I was wondering if I still wanted it.

Overall apart from a few moans I would say it's well worth a visit, I never heard any of the 67 family complain about their meals so give it a try

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House Restuarant, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Many thanks for your recent review on your visit to the Golf links House. I'm sorry you found some small problems and hopefully I can explain them. Your quite right about the Guiness in the bar that particular Sunday it was running unusually high due to the gas supply company installing the wrong cylinder, which they rectified the following day. With regards to the 'chaotic' service, its always quite tricky to locate who had pre-ordered what as there was 67 in your group and 5 choices of starter and main course, so that would have been the reason for the waiting staff asking who had ordered what as a lot of the folk had forgotten their order. This also lead to the delay with the sweets as when the staff brought through the ordered sweets we had 10 unclaimed, and therefore had 10 more to prepare. That combined with the fact that we had a full restaurant (your party was in the function room) for Sunday lunch did lead to a delay of approximately 10 minutes on the delivery of the newly ordered sweets. This was the fourth year running we have held that particular family gathering, which in itself is a good recommendation. We are glad you enjoyed your food and hope to see you again next year.

Co Down
“Excellent Christmas Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A group of 9 from my work when to the Golf Links for our Christmas Meal out, it was excellent, we had a variety of dishes and there were no complaints, not even tiny ones, from anyone in our group. I personally had the Beef followed by the Chocolate Brownie fabulous.

Well done Golf Links.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House Restuarant, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are so glad you enjoyed it. We hope to welcome you back again soon and would like to wish you and your party a happy Christmas and peaceful new year.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Average food. Good for groups of pensioners.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I found the food was okay nothing out of the ordinary. The service is good and the prices are reasonable.

Visited May 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit with us here at Golf Links House. I'm sorry that you felt the food was only 'Average'? We cater for lots of different age groups including pensioners. We are glad however that you found the service Good and the prices reasonable, but you don't seem to have reflected this in your rating? Perhaps on your next visit we may be able to impress you with the standards that everyone else talks about. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Family Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just been for a half term break to N Ireland -fantastic -visited this family restaurant and had a great Sunday dinner and pud!! So good we had lunch there a further two times on our visit. If you have coffee they give you wonderful home made short bread with it! If your in the area give it a try..........

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House Restuarant, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us at the Golf Links House restaurant. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and that you returned a further two times, the greatest compliment you could give us. Thank you for noticing the home-made shortbread, it is something we are very proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Nice dinner, poor dessert.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had dinner here recently.Steak nice. Dessert not.Ordered apple crumble ------ got a dish with puréed apple at the bottom, and chunks of broken up shortbread dumped on the top. Some of the pieces were over an inch in diameter.The 'crumble ' definitely wasn't cooked, as I understand crumble, because there wasn't any of that lovely bubbly toffee - like apple juice around the side of the crumble, and definitely no lovely 'cooked' aroma coming from it. My own theory is that the apple purée was put in the bottom of the dish, and then the chunks of biscuits put on top. NOT nice, and NOT a crumble.Very poor presentation.I'd go back again for dinner, but think I'd give dessert a miss.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience. We are sorry that you found your apple crumble disappointing. We were experimenting with a new way of presenting our crumble, but as you have pointed out it wasn't always perfect and we have therefore reverted back to our original method. We hope you will pay us a visit again soon and give us your opinion on it. As always we appreciate the feedback, good or bad. Many thanks again.