“Avoid at ALL Costs!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Inn

Kings Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castlewellan
Kings Inn
28-30 Lower Square, Castlewellan BT31 9DW, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Castlewellan B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Avoid at ALL Costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at the Kings Inn for one night as i was in Castlewellan for a Triathlon. I have travelled all over Ireland racing and i have never stayed in such an unaccomodating place before.
My partner and I travelled to castlewellan and we were pretty enthusiatic about the Kings Inn having read some of the reviews. We were so disappointed.
I had been in contact with the hotel twice the week before we arrived asking about breakfast times, the race i was doing started at 10am so i needed to be having breakfast at half 7 or so. They assured me on the phone that they would look after me. Obviously i wouldn't b eating a big fry before the race, i had brought my own porridge and fruit with me in case they didn't have anything to suit a pre-race breakfast. When i arrived the guy who was there said breakfast was at 10am and there was no possibility of getting breakfast earlier. I asked if i could use the kitchen to make porridge myself, but he wasnt having any of it. This was never a problem in any other B&B or hotel i have stayed in.
We were brought to our room on the first floor where we were greeted with an awful musty smell all over the place. Our room was tiny, the toliet didnt flush properly and i discocvered the next morning that the kettle in the room was not working so i couldnt even make a coffee.
I was woken during the night by 2 drunks and the barman having a heated discussion in the bar. The walls are paper thin and i could hear everything. I have never complained about noise in a hotel before but this was ridiculous and at 3am i went down to the bar to ask them to keep the noise down, the barman initially denied it was them making the noise and followed me to my room then to hear the noise for himself. Once there he admitted it was them making the noise and left!! Crazy Stuff! I couldnt wait to get out of there the next day.
On checking out i told the guy the kettle in our room wasnt working and his exact words were "Oh yes Sir, we meant to change that this week".
This is the first time i have ever reviewed any place i have ever stayed in but i was so disappointed and angry leaving this place i promised myself i would leave a review so other people wouldnt be fooled into staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Barwell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Kings Inn gave us the best holiday ever! We stayed with John and his family in their very welcoming Inn while in Northern Ireland for the first time. The atmosphere of peace and calm, at the foot of the Mourne mountains, has to be sampled to be believed, I have never felt so relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble, all the staff and family did all they could to make our stay the memorable holiday it was.

The food, well, what to say, Fionulla the chef (and John's wife) cooked the most amazing meals, the seafood chowder was excellent and now a firm favourite, as were the mussels, gathered locally. And if you like peppercorn sauce, then that is the place to go.

Our room was excellent, airy and spacious, looking out towards the beautiful church on the square. It had a superking size bed and all the amenities with a large bathroom and shower, ideal for us as we are both of the large variety!

For breakfast there was the famous Ulster Fry, cereal, juice, toast, tea and coffee, or any combination. It was also served at sensible times, you didn't have to be up early, like a lot of hotels.

The bar had a great atmosphere and was somewhere you could sit and chat, particularly with the friendly locals, even when it wasn't open for alcohol.

It is an ideal spot to tour from with the Mourne mountains, the coast and Stannaford Lough not far away, and not forgetting magic hill, where you car runs uphill!

I really cannot praise it enough I can't wait to go back again and again and again................

Room Tip: Room 8 has the super king size bed and even though on the front very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

What a fantastic time i had at the kings inn the staff are all very nice and bent over backwards to make my stay one to remember what a great family you are and the locals are so friendly.
The food was lovely and at a good price i will be going back but this time with the wife and just for a holiday. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Top floor at the back mega view of the mountains.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed her for the 2nd time and as before the hosts and staff really are the most friendly and hard working in every way. We stayed in a newly refurbished room which was tastefully decorated and had plenty of hanging and storage space, iron and iron board, leather sofa and a superking size bed which was so comfortable. The showeroom was large, fully tiled with a large shower cubicle. Breakfast was great and nicely cooked. And as I said before we will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Having spent a few nights at this B & B I can recommend anyone to stay here. The bar area is extrememley pleasent and serves great food. We had a nice fresh airy bedroom which was comfortable with views towards the mountains. The owners are the most friendliest and welcoming hosts as well as all the staff, nothing is a problem for them. Our breakfast was fab being cooked to order and plenty of it. Location wise is very good, approx 5 mins car drive to the beach at Newcastle and close to the mountains. There is ample parking outside in the car park. Even if you do not stay here it would be a great place to have a meal as the food and bar are excellent. All in all a great B & B and we wil be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed here with my family. The location is central, the rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean, the service was friendly, the food was great value, the bar was welcoming and lively - yet there was no noise in the rooms. Excellent value for money. WIll definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

came across this gem in the heart of down by accident. on a short family vacation we were heading to book into a hotel in newcastle and stopped here for a drink. on entering the place we were welcomed by a friendly barman who couldnt do enough for us.the local punters also seemed to be having a great time and the pints of guiness were great! the kids were getting tried and hungry so we decided to eat there. the menu was extensive and the daily specials board had a wide choice and was great value for money! not wanting to move again we asked about rooms for the night and they were more than helpful setting up a carry cot for the baby and putting us into a family room which was nicely decorated with all the mod cons. having recently been refurbished and renamed to the kings inn i have recomended this place to my friendsand family looking for a short break which wont break the bank!.overall it was spotlessly clean the staff were friendly the food was great making our stay one to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Kings Inn? Share your experiences!