“Very Nice and Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charlemont Arms Hotel

Charlemont Arms Hotel
You added Charlemont Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Charlemont Arms Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   57 - 65 Lower English Street, Armagh BT61 7LB, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Armagh B&B and Inns
donegal
“Very Nice and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

A lovely homely atmosphere was felt on arrival to the hotel, very friendly staff and great food, would recommend anyone to stay here. very reasonability priced.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North West England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I would definitely suggest you do not stay at this hotel... the whole stay was shocking!

We arrived to be told our room was 301... this was interesting as it wasn't sign posted which led me to believe that maybe this room wasn't usually occupied by paying guests.

It was at the top of no where hidden round a corner....very odd.

The room was ok, very spacious but generally tired and tatty. The TV had no remote, I had no chair at the dressing table to get ready. And the biggy.... the shower did not work at all.

When I reported this i was asked 'could i not get a bath?' No i wanted a shower. We were not offered another room - we were given access to a room that had recently been vacated to take a shower - this room had not yet even been cleaned. When I questioned this I was told that the bath had been wiped round!
It was very inconvenient having to take all of our shower stuff, towels and clothes down the corridor to another room.

When I questioned my bill in the morning (i didn’t think I should be charged for an en-suite room when we didn't actually have one) I was told that it was not up to the staff on duty. I asked for management to be contacted but was told it was too early to ring them - it was 10.30am!

I have since written a letter to the owner / management who has not even had the decency to acknowledge my contact, which I find to be very rude.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for a number of years, and so have stayed in many hotels and I have never stayed in such an amateur establishment.

I agree with others that breakfast was measly and service was nearly always without a smile.

I wouldn't recommend this place to my dog!

• Liked — Driving away from it.
  • Disliked — The whole stay
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

We enjoyed a homely, warm, friendly atmosphere when we stayed at the Charlemont Arms Hotel last weekend. It was our anniversary and we have beautiful meal in downstairs at turners, which is in the basement under the bar. It was delightful and our little waitress, looked after us well without being to pushy. We then went to Turners Bar afterwards and enjoyed some traditional music and some of the local cider. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a romantic getaway to stay here. As someone else said a family gem. It is not part of a chain and all the better for it.

• Liked — Big Bedrooms with kingsize bed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
N.ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

We recently stayed at the Charlemont Arms Hotel for the Ronan Keating Concert in the Palace Demesne. Armagh and our whole experience was wonderful, plus Ronan was fab too.
We arrived early on Friday and we were promptly checked in by a lovely lady called Eleanor, she went beyond the call of duty, as check in wasn't until 2pm. She informed us of all the hotel had to offer and was only too willing to help with all our questions.
We dined in the Restaurant Downstairs at Turners and had lovely meal, I'd the Seafood Chowder, Trio of Seafood and the Sticky Toffee Pudding and an illy espresso. Highly recommended, the service was excellent. Our breakfast on Saturday and Sunday Morning was well cooked and didn't disappoint.
Our adequately furnished room and we had two great nights sleep in our king koil bed (I had a peep) as I haven't had a sleep like it in ages.
Batteries charged we visited the two cathedrals which were close to the hotel and had coffee in Wrights Interior Shop in Russell Street, also looked at there lovely furnishing. We walked to the Ronan Concert the Palace Demesne and he was fabulous, but he would need a shave! The Traditional Music in Turners Bar topped off a great night and made weekend.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone as it has a lot to offer and we'll definitely be putting it in our top ten!!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights at the end of Aug/beginning of September.

When I checked in, no credit or debit card was asked for, I did think this was odd at the time but thought no ore of it. I stayed for 2 nights. The room was fine and clean.

I had to check out early on the Saturday morning (7am) the cleaner had to let me out of the locked front door. As the reception was closed, I was unable to settle my bill but assumed they would invoice me, as other hotels have done with no issues in the past.

On the Sunday evening (after I'd returned back to England) I was in bed when my mobile phone rang at 11pm! The call was from a witheld number I was half asleep so didnt answer. Upon getting up on the Monday morning I had a voicemail, it was from the hotel they had left a (threatening) message at 11pm saying I had until 11.30pm to call back and pay my bill or else I was being reported to the police!!

I was shocked, i immediately rang the hotel to pay and complain, they took my card details but offered no explanation or apology. i have since emailed the hotel management and again have had no reply!

I would not recommend this place in the slightest! What kind of hotel calls guests at 11pm threatening them for payment?! Had I have answered at that point I can say I still wouldnt have been giving my card details over the phone on a Sunday night at 11pm from someone claiming to be from the hotel calling from a witheld number! Madness!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

Myself and my girlfriend recently stated here for one night. Check in was no problem, the lady there was short but i wouldn't have said unfriendly. Indifferent I suppose would cover it.

The room was big, but when we got there it was a little cold. The room info said the thermostat could be adjusted. I adjusted it and we went out, expecting the room to be warmer when we got back but it wasn't.

The bathroom was again big. I had a shower in the early evening and the water was not hot. It was luke warm.

The TV had no remote control. Not that it would really be needed for the 4 or 5 stations that were on it.

If you plan on sleeping make sure you do not get a room at the front of the hotel. I wouldn't call myself a light sleeper but I could not get to sleep due to the street noise. The windows did nothing to block out the sound. I could actually hear conversations on the street. That mixed with what I presume is "boy racer" alley due to the noise of all the modified cars and pumpin' car steroes. There's a public car park directly opposite the hotel I presume this this is the meet up place for them.

I had to swap beds in the middle of the night becuase I could not get to sleep due to the bed being right beside the window.

The windows also have no net/ lace curtains or blinds so if you don't want every one in the car park opposite looking in you'll have to pull the drapes during the day.

The breakfast was ok. I expect people from overseas would be expecting Irish soda bread or something, there was none. There was 4 half slices of toast for both of us. Yup, that's right. That equates to one slice of toast each. I'm sure it wouldn't have be a problem to ask for more but it struck me as very stingey.

Overall, I definitely would not not stay there again. Well, bar I wanted to stay somewhere where I didn't want a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perthshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

Very good value. The service is friendly, honest and helpful. The rooms are surprisingly spacious for the money and very clean. Hotel is in the centre of town so you must expect a level of traffic noise but the levels are not overpowering. The whole building has lots of character and is long established. Easily located. This is not hotel chain accomodation and better for it. Food comes in generous helpings and service is fast and efficient. Breakfast is served up to 10.00am which allows for a decent lie-in! Only dedicated nit pickers would find any real faults with this hotel. Overall, good value for money and highly recommended

Stayed February 2007

Been to Charlemont Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!