“A Nice Stay in Armagh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charlemont Arms Hotel

Charlemont Arms Hotel
You added Charlemont Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Charlemont Arms Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   57 - 65 Lower English Street, Armagh BT61 7LB, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Armagh B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego
“A Nice Stay in Armagh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had a very nice stay at the Charlemont Arms. My room was large, clean and comfortable. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good, I really enjoyed it. Well placed for strolling around town, there are lots of nice cafes and restaurants. The hotel has parking too, which is very handy for guests. I would definitely stay here again, great value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

It's likely that we will stay here again. We had a good experience on the one night we stayed except that a wedding party were a bit noisy until the early hours.
We were well looked after especially during dinner and breakfast by Donna who catered to my elderly parents needs with a constant smile.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kentstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel décor could do with a little modernisation. What they lack in modern décor the more then make up for in friendly, cosy atmosphere. The staff are so friendly and efficient. Very accommodating. Food was so good. Location is very good for shopping and a night out in Armagh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Derry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of some care and attention and a good clean! But my biggest complaint is the staff on reception. On arrival we were told we had booked 2 rooms even when I had the confirmation slip that had one room booked , according to the woman on the desk it must have been my fault! This was swiftly followed by her putting the keys on the table with not a word about where the room was or breakfast arrangements we stood waiting while she faffed about ignoring us standing at the desk .
The room (superior double) was poor basic and needed a good clean, even the bins had not been emptied.
After searching for a place to eat ( not many options in Armagh) we returned to the room which was more like returning to a night club the noise in the room was beyond belief pumping Disco music from a party downstairs and bottles being tipped outside the window. When it got too much to cope with at 12.45 am I went down to reception to ask to be moved rooms, I was told there couldn't possibly be that level of noise in the room we were in, once again rudeness, I was told there were no other rooms left and could feel free to check out!
In retrospect I wish I had. Not once was there an apology, just a' if you don't like it on you go attitude'. The young girls running the breakfast room were lovely (better than the breakfast) on a positive note. Perhaps they could give the older woman on reception some tips on customer relations!
Never Again £80 very badly spent!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portlaoise, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

just spent 4 nights in this great hotel..
big thanks to all the staff especially Donna at breakfast and Jackie in the Bar. very special service indeed. I look forward to staying here again when im in the area

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We got a room at the Charlemont, the last one available and after parking in the handy car park at the rear found our room. We both needed a bath and found the water kind of luke warm. There was only one bath towel so I tried to ring reception. The phone did not work so I went down and asked informed the lady at reception. My complaint received no apology, in fact I was asked if I had checked to see if the phone was plugged into the wall. As the lead went under the bed and it wasn't really down to me I felt it was seen as being my fault. I asked for a bath towel and returned to have my bath. 40 minutes later ( I like a long soak, but I was getting cold by then) no towel, so my partner went to ask for towels. Apparently the director, who took my complaint so poorly had been on the phone and not sorted out the towels, so we finally got it sorted ourselves. The room was large, but had a socket for the kettle which did not work and the bathroom was in need of re-decorating, the carpet stained near the bed and the windows dirty, a table but no chair and the put waterproof coverings on the mattresses, so a hot night was made more uncomfortable. Breakfast was good, the person serving (on her own) coped well, but the carpet had not been cleaned in a while in the breakfast room. When we came to pay the person at reception, who was talking on the phone at the time, presented us with the bill, without asking how our stay had been, got the preceding list of complaints from me. I suggested that the room must not have been used for some time due to the faults. No I was wrong again apparently, no complaints had been made previously. I accept things will go wrong, but apologies and putting things right is the way forward, not making me feel as if I am being difficult or wrong. We were given £10 off, so If you stay here and would advise not doing so, then complain if it isn't up to scratch, but expect to be told you are in the wrong. The place is under staffed and those who are there seem to be high handed and or of little use. The waiting staff and more junior members of staff seem to be the ones who deal with the customers better or are effective.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and check it is all working and fully equipped.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

She is a little old, but she certainly still does have alot of class left in her. Our room was large but on the street, so we heard all the early morning traffic, but we were planning on getting up early anyway, so it wasn't too bad. Food was tasty, service very friendly and helpful. Great location for discovering Armagh.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep late, ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Charlemont Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!