“Perfect Summer Courgette Flowers! Beautiful food at James Street South.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of James Street South

James Street South
21 James Street South | BT2 7GA, Belfast, Northern Ireland (City Centre)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: City Centre Restaurant with Cookery School. Using the best of Northern Iris produce for a seasonal menu. Set lunch and pre theatre daily from fifteen pounds and fifty pence for two courses, A La Carte and Tasting Menu always available. Now with Private Dining Room and The Bar and Grill, a more casual dining option located next door.
Ireland
“Perfect Summer Courgette Flowers! Beautiful food at James Street South.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a really beautiful meal at James Street South last weekend. Apart from the excellent service and wine list, the restaurant served up a perfectly executed Italian dish - courgettes flowers stuffed with goats cheese in a light tempura with a honey and truffle dressing - absolutely fabulous, better than any I have ever tasted in Italy. Its fantastic to still have a restaurant in Belfast where you can have really fine dining in a welcoming atmosphere and at very agreeable prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Managerjss, Manager at James Street South, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Altobelli,

Thank you for taking the time to post your very flattering review, customer feedback is of paramount importance to us, we pride ourselves on our standards of food and service and we are always delighted when they are recognized by our customers.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed the courgette flowers, they are an amazing dish. We have now added them to our a la carte menu while they are still in season.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
“Brillant - beautiful food, excellent service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food was beautiful, presented well and the service was excellent! Lovely room and atmosphere as every table was full. The waitress was expressive and articulate about the food and we instantly had a good rapport with her. Recently engaged and home visiting my parents, I asked friends for advise on a great restaurant - they suggested James Street South. We were not disappointed!
After reading through the menu we decided on having the halibut. The waitress took our order and suggested we have one of the specials - "strips of fish lightly breaded". My Fiancee decided to have this special on the recommendation of the waitress and I kept to the decision to have the halibut.
The wine arrived first and was a great choice! The food arrived about 5 minutes later. My fiance started her food, and then stated the fish was just fish goujons and she was disappointed as it was not what she was expecting. We called the waitress over and explained to her the goujons were disappointing. She listened, apologised and went off to talk to the chef. Seconds later she arrived back, apologised again, and informing us the chef would make 2 new halibut's; then took everything away.
While we were waiting we received 2 glasses of champagne and another apology about the goujons being disappointing. The food arrived and we were both not disappointed!
I can only recommend the service we received from this brillant establishment, the food was beautiful and well presented. Thank you for resolving and recovering what could have been a huge disappointment to both of us! I cant remember the waitress's name but I would like to thank her for her kind comments and speedy response to a difficult situation.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Roverpete,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, customer feedback is of the highest importance to us. We pride ourselves on our standards of food and service and we are always thrilled when they are recognised by our customers.

Sara was your waitress on the evening you dined with us and I know she will be chuffed with your compliments on her service, I am thrilled that she added to your evening and rectified the issue with your main course.

We do hope that we will see you again when you are back in Belfast.

Carrick-on-suir, Ireland
“Good Food.,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

A friend of mine recommended this restaurant for its fine dining and we were not disappointed. We arrived at the restaurant at the appointed time and were quickly seated. The staff were very pleasant and very attentive. The food was excellent, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. There was just the right amount of time between courses. Unfortunately,for me, the restaurant lacks ambiance, but the food spoke volumes and my focus was drawn to the plate each time a new course arrived. Would i recommend it, most certainly.

Visited July 2013
Dear Strandlover,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, customer feedback is of the highest importance to us. We at James Street South pride ourselves on our standards of food and service and we are thrill when our customers enjoy their experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant soon.

Kindest Regards,

The Team at James Street South.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Average food - some ok, some terrible, some quite good. First, none of the dishes catches your eye in the menu, they dont look appealing. You have to take your chance; good luck with that.

Starters: Smoked & poached salmon - simply dull, why would you combine whose? ; Grilled mackerel - it is an interesting idea to make it battered, a nice round taste, accompanied with fruits, not bad; Beef salad with parmesan - what you would expect; Rasor clam, prawn and chorizo - very good, I heard.

Mains: Saddle of rabbit - not at all what you would expect, this is a terrible rabbit sausage to be avoided by all means, accompanied by dull tasteless vegetables; Rump of lamb - the liver spoils it all, gives an artificial wild taste, like venison gone bad; Grilled hake - what you would expect, nothing special; Sirloin steak - no comment from the customer.

This was an average experience, that I grade as poor because you enter the restaurant with high expectations.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Managerjss, General Manager at James Street South, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear SergiuB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, customer feedback is of the highest importance to us whether positive or otherwise.

We normally pride ourselves on our standards of food and service however we have clearly fallen short of them on your recent evening with us.

I can only profusely apologise that you found your meals to be only average, I do hope that you will return to the restaurant and give us an opportunity to put the wrong right. If you could ask for me personally upon making a reservation, I will do my utmost to make sure your next experience is a more memorable one for all the right reasons.

Nicola Walls
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great steak and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had a tasty ribeye cooked to perfection following a tasty salmon starter. Friendly staff in a buzzy restaurant. The wine list offers great choice and reasonable prices.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Madmagic1,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to see you the next time you are in Belfast.