“The Cookery School - A delicious way to spend a morning!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of James Street South

James Street South
21 James Street South | BT2 7GA, Belfast, Northern Ireland (City Centre)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: City Centre Restaurant with Cookery School. Using the best of Northern Iris produce for a seasonal menu. Set lunch and pre theatre daily from fifteen pounds and fifty pence for two courses, A La Carte and Tasting Menu always available. Now with Private Dining Room and The Bar and Grill, a more casual dining option located next door.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The Cookery School - A delicious way to spend a morning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my second visit to the Cookery School at James Street South. The first was to attend a demonstration of "Mid Week Meals" and I was so inspired I couldn't wait to come back, roll my sleeves up and try cooking myself. I picked the "Baking and Pastry" class and it was a fabulous experience. Our instructor, Head Chef Stephen, guided us through how to make rich, buttery sable pastry, creamy chocolate ganache, sweet frangipane and creme patisserie among other things. We then brought these together to create several finished dishes including a chocolate tart and delicious tarte tatin. Stephen has an excellent ability to work according to your needs - helping novices overcome their fears to produce perfect pastry for the first time or inspiring those with experience to raise their game even higher. You definitely won't regret booking a class here (or purchasing one as a gift for a lucky friend or relative), the only danger is that you will want to spend all your time in the kitchen rustling up treats when you return home!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Went with group of friends, I chose ok but every course my husband chose was more than disappointing, both in quantity and in flavour/taste. it's not that we expect large portions, we would rather have good tastes but this was ridiculous.

Visited April 2012
Washington dc
“Plentiful and Tasty Tasting Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Overall, James Street South rates highly in my book- serving very good food and doing a great job of pairing the wines with the courses served. It has been 2 weeks since I was in Belfast but I will try my best to highlight the meal. The first course was razor clam- and I was a bit apprehensive b/c this shellfish can be tough and salty. However, JSS did a wonderful job- mincing the clam and combining it artfully with a little chorizo, beans and sapphire- I was pleasantly surprise by how nice this meshed- b/c I didnt think it would. The Vintage Tomatoes with Gazpacho, Green Olive and Anchovy was presented in an unusual manner- very rarely is gazpacho served with chunks of tomatoes and a full anchovy- but again, it worked- especially if you combined the anchovy with the olive in a bite. The main course- beef with Ox tongue was MAMMOTH! They must have served us 8-10 ounces of beef- remember this is the 3rd course! It was cooked medium rare (thankfully b/c I hate that Ireland serves burgers well done- I havent died from a medium-rare burger!!!)

The cheese course was nice- but nothing exceptional. All somewhat mild cheeses- I guess so that they would suit everyone's palate.

Instead of two identical desserts- I ask for different desserts for my husband and me- and JSS happily obliged.

My one complaint- We waited almost 30 minutes for our first glass of wine- so it was a little awkward sitting there with no bread or wine for, yes, a full 30 minutes (My reservation was for 8:30 and the first glass came at 9pm).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Bren1812”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited Belfast with three friends and dined at James Street South
Food was perfect, and service excellent. Wine list surprisingly reasonable.

Would certainly dine there again when I return to Belfast.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cookery school at James street south restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This course was bought for me for a birthday present... And I didn't even know the course existed!...I went on Saturday 22nd to my pastry and baking course.

The course is usually 8 people max but there were on 2 of us today!... We had Stephen as our teacher ( one of the head chefs) for the morning.

At first when I checked out the price of the course I thought it was a bit expensive BUT it was over 4 hours long and you had extremely good ingredients to work with and you had a fantastic teacher!

Being bit of a foodie I was scared I wouldn't learn a lot as I bake a lot at home but I learnt new techniques in all the recipes!

I would highly recommend these courses to anyone ... There are different ones each week!

Please see the photos of some of the desserts I made at James street south cookery school.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere