“Good Food, Low priced, well staffed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Scalini Restaurant

Scalini Restaurant
85 Botanic Avenue, Belfast BT7 1JL, Northern Ireland (Queen's Quarter)
02890 320 303
Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 777 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Queen's Quarter
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Low priced, well staffed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Went there last night with my Spanish Class, yes I do see the conflict, Spanish class to an Italian Reataurant. There were about 20 -24 of us. There was a menu at each plate. The usual Christmas fare but also a few Italian choices. I had looked at their menu on line and the dishes I selected were of course not on the offered menu. However a quick chat with the manager and he sorted it with no fuss and allowed me to select from the main menu. I love fish and seafood. I went for the frito misto, it was lovely, large tiger prawns, squid, and mussels in a very good broth along with toasted chiabata. I was even provided witha finger bowl(lovely touch), for main I had triticco de pesche (please excuse any spelling mistakes, I am not Italian) this consisted of a decent portion of swordfish, the same of red mullet, three huge prawns and a serving of the best crumbed squid that I have tasted, when asked for a small dish of garlic mayo was quickly produced (a weakness of mine) the whole dish was well balanced, very well cooked and delicious, it was accompamied by a free side, I chose garlic potatoes(superb) for desert I had my favourite Panacota, however this panacota was totally different because it was in a different class. It was creamier, smoother, thicker than any panacota that I had tasted before accompanied by a good helping of marinated strawberries and other red fruit. All in all it was a superb meal however the big suprise was the price £26.74. I was totally amazed. The staff are bubbly, friendly and knowledgeable, nothing was too much trouble. Well done Scalini's, I will be back soon. Do yourself a favour and try these dishes. By the way the steaks are apparently some of the best to be had in Belfast and the menu is really, very varied.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Bangor, Co. Down
“ENJOYABLE MEAL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Scalini’s is situated in Botanic Ave. amongst several other restaurants and hotels. We arrived around 8.30 pm and were quickly shown to our table. Restaurant was busy (2 weeks before Christmas) and there was a good atmosphere. Menu was quite extensive and our drinks order of wine and water arrived very quickly. The service was cheerful and efficient, food was very good and well presented. I consider we had good value for money and look forward to a return visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, a great atmosphere and good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've visited Scalini's twice with my girlfriend and on both occasions I was very impressed. I had the carbonara both times; the first time I had it I could not finish it and was bitterly disappointed as it tasted delicious so when we visited a second time I felt obliged to have it again in an effort to finish it. I was defeated again however; a testament to the great portion sizes! The food was piping hot on both occasions which makes a difference as I find Italian restaurants more and more serve tepid food that’s merely being kept warm on the hob in the kitchen. The staff are warm and friendly and the restaurant offers a great atmosphere. One criticism is that the tables are quite small and cramped together in an effort to accommodate the busy demand. It can be quite difficult to fit two mains, two glasses, a bottle of something, and a side-order on the table. Other than these small complaints we find it an excellent restaurant and would not hesitate to return. Maybe I’ll be third time lucky and finish my main next time!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern Ireland
“Christmas Dinner with no sparkle or fizz - just lukewarm food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My colleagues and I ventured forth to Scalini's last weekend for our Christmas dinner. I have been to Scalini's many times and have enjoyed nice Italian food (nothing that will win awards as it's just ok). But on this night we had to choose from a set menu. The choice was good but very limited for the 1 vegetarian among us with only 2 vegetarian starters (soup or goats' cheese) and 1 vegetarian main (ricotta ravioli in a tomato sauce). The cost was £25 per person for 3 courses - not bad value at Christmas time, but when you looked at the food we received, the £25 was reluctantly handed over.

So, my main gripes?
1. The food was lukewarm. My main course of turkey was cold, served with lukewarm vegetables (and obviously frozen veg too). Others reported that their roast potatoes (Aunt Bessie's by all accounts) were hard enough to resemble rocks.
2. I received my dessert 10 minutes after everyone else because they forgot about it.
3. The service. Never have I come across so many disinterested and bored waitresses who referred to us as "that man there" or "that woman in the middle". Furthermore, there were twelve of us and our table was squeezed into the corner by the window, right next to the till point so that the waitresses kept pushing behind us to place their orders. And all the while the round table next to us stayed empty all night.

So, Scalini's, we left disappointed and feeling cold from the lack of warm, friendly and Christmassy hospitality. I, for one, won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely Italian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have visited here on about 4 occassions this year and have enjoyed good food and good service on each occassion. Plenty of small nooks and crannies for the more intimate dinners as well as being able to cate for the larger groups - love the place

Visited April 2012