“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: Award winning restaurant in the heart of Belfast's cultural district 'The Cathedral Quarter'. Celebrity chef Nick Price opened Nick's in 1989 and is still behind the stove today. Sourcing the best local produce from around the province, Nicks established itself as the doyenne of modern restaurants in Northern Ireland.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have be meaning to come to this restaurant for the last number of years. We arrived on a Thursday evening and the place was buzzing. We hadn't booked but we were able to get a table.

I am lucky that we have a couple of really good restaurants close to us and therefore we don't travel into Belfast for food that often.

I ordered the duck terrine for starter and my husband ordered the pigeon. Both courses were excellent and the dates and beetroot complemented the terrine beautifully. I had the hake and prawns for main course and ordered the vegetables to go with it. The hake was cooked to perfection and the prawns were delish. I hadn't planned to go for a pudding but I was tempted by the creme brulee. I was so glad I was tempted by it as it was the best creme brulee I tasted in years.

The staff were very attentive and sometimes the service was nearly too fast as I like time to digest each course. It is quite expensive for a Thursday night out however there was a cheaper menu unfortunately my hubby and I were tempted by items on the a la carte menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Good Resturant if a little over priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After a couple of recent visits to Nicks its time to write my review.
The restaurant has a nice feel to it. A bar area as you walk in then into a larger resturant area with comtempory feel from the traditonal building and modern furnishings. The resturant looks into the kitchen to offer some visability without it being imposing to the dining.
There was a pleasant atmosphere to the resturant

The service throughout both visits was professional and efficient although would benifit from some more friendly customer interaction of a more socialble nature.
The menu was good with lots of traditional choices with more modern twists. A good menu for a wide audience. All the food we had was well cooked, nice sized portions and excellent quality.
There is a wide wine list that will suit lovers of wine although they do need a better value house wine for those less concerned by their grape and vineyard choices.

Overall a good meal and would be happy to revisit or recommend.
I did think it was rather over priced due to its popularity its easy to clock up a big bill.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at Nick's on several occasions and each time I've hoped to be blown away by the food. Locally Nick's is very well respected and while it is good it falls a bit short of being a standout restaurant. Another good meal tonight and I'll probably go back but it's just that little bit too ordinary.

Visited May 2013
Ayr, Scotland
“Best shin of beef ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Six of us had a meal last Friday at Nick's, I chose the shin of beef and it was the best I have ever tasted. The meat just fell away on my fork and was so tasty. At first I thought I would n 't manage to eat it all but was so tasty I couldn't leave any. The service was friendly and welcoming. This was our second visit and just as good as the previous one.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lacking atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Heard so much about here that I was looking forward to going. Staff very friendly and efficient although place was fairly empty and severely lacked atmosphere. Food was excellent but I must admit I was expecting it to be a bit better that it turned out.

Visited March 2013