“First class hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“First class hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I were married here in march. I only had a month to plan the wedding as my husband works away, so I had a lot to organise. I needn't have worried because as soon as I met with one of the events organisers (Clare Coyle) she went over everything with me very clearly and put me at ease. She gave me some advise on lowering the price as she told me to order the evening buffet for only 50 percent of the guests as it would be more than enough due to the quantity of food and the selection of sandwiches. I thought that was very nice of her, it proved she cared about the customer and not just making profit for the hotel. Turns out the buffet was more than enough. I met with her a few times in the run up to the wedding, each time she was lovely and very helpful. The big day was the Friday in march that we all of a sudden had some heavy snowfall. I panicked as I was worried about ruining my dress on the way to the wedding car and into the hotel, I needn't have worried, Clare organised a large room for me to get ready in, so I went down on the morning of the wedding and got ready there. Clare came up to the room before the ceremony to wish me luck. the ceremony room was beautiful and nicely lit. The room where the guests wait whilst the pictures were being taken was really nice to. The way they set the room up for dinner was stunning, I could not fault it. The food was excellent and the portions size was good. Our guests all commented on how nice the food was. There was a few minor mix up with our children's meals and some of the guests children's meals, they also cut up two and a half tiers of our wedding cake which i felt was far too much. So I brought it up with the staff the following day and my husband and I were apologised to and offered a complimentary meal at a later date. The room we stayed in was beautiful, it is worthy of its 5* rating and the breakfast the following day was beautiful. I've stayed in quite a few 5* hotels both here and abroad and of all that I've stayed in this is one of my favourites, it just hast a lovely atmosphere about it. Will definatly be back and would recommend it to anyone. I cannot praise Clare enough, she's brilliant at her job and a real asset to the hotel. If any of the managers happen to read this...GIVE HER A RAISE :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

From the beautiful dining room to our Art Deco bedroom everything about this hotel was fantastic .Our bathroom was a beauty .We were met on arrival by the so efficient and kind Micheal who quickly gave us the low down on places to see in Belfast. Our open top bus tour was kindly organised by the porters.
There is a great buzz about this hotel. Right in the heart of Belfast it is both lively and peaceful at the same time.Plenty of bars and shop in the vicinity.
Everyone was so kind and helpful and in stark contrast to what we regularly see on our TV screens.
I won't leave it another 45 years before my next visit!!

Room Tip: Try an Art Deco bedroom. Don't miss a visit to the most amazing dining room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently attended a wedding reception here which began on the roof terrace and continued in a function room on another floor.

The roof terrace is lovely, especially on a warm summers day.

We were served a four course meal which was very well presented and very filling indeed. It was extremely tasty and the service was also excellent.

The function room was very nicely decorated, with really nice mood lighting and table centres.

Overall, a great location for a wedding. The service levels are excellent, as is the quality of everything in the hotel.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed at the Merchant for a couple nights recently. We received a friendly reception, were given a nice room and enjoyed our stay. The location in town is great. Service friendly and efficient. Breakfast in the restaurant tasty with many choices and great service. Room was clean and well furnished. Would not hesitate to return.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had my first visit to this hotel....it wont be my last. Beautiful Victorian building with super modern art deco part. Great hall for breakfast is and old banking hall, really amazing. Stayed in a fourth floor room with two extremely comfortable double beds, fabulous toppers on bed, really soft down pillows and crisp sheets. Free standing bath, huge shower with rose head. Two tvs in room and lovely furniture. My only minor disappointment was that there was no bottled water in the room and i was parched, when i phoned they said it is brought at turn down time, which it was, but had to buy bottle in bar for £4.95 to keep me going.visited gym& spa area looked very nice, especially as they are on roof top. Staff very helpful and friendly.great shopping only minutes away.

Room Tip: I really liked room 428 where I stayed, nice corner room on fourth floor, quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were treated to a night at the Merchant for our 30th wedding anniversery. It was a fantastic experience from begining to end. We had a beautiful afernoon tea perfect food and service then the tasting menu which was delicious. Our suite was magnificent the breakfast was lovley. we will defenitley be back soon.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

As good if not better than any of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in and I have stayed in most of the top hotels. Good value and one of the best cocktail bars I have tried, very knowledgeable bar staff. Now stay here every time I visit Belfast, walking distance to city centre. Try the Spaniards Inn across the road excellent Guinness.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!