“Lovely afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Merchant Hotel's Great Room is very impressive and is a great setting for afternoon tea. There is a good selection of sandwiches, scones, desserts and teas and the staff are very attentive, polite and helpful. Overall it is a very pleasant and relaxing experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
N.I.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Enjoyed one night as a gift - and what a gift!
The staff from arrival to checkout were friendly and professional.
The room was lovely in the new wing in art deco style and very spacious as was the bathroom.
We enjoyed a spa treatment, dinner in The Great Room and again breakfast next morning. This was probably the most civilised breakfast I have ever enjoyed - all peace, tranquillity and superb service - not a buffet in sight!
I had mentioned when booking that it was our wedding anniversary and special occasions are obviously duly noted. We had a special cake brought to us and noticed a few others being delivered as well.
Would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last nite for wedding anniversary. From the minute we arrived we were bowled over by the service! Have stayed in many 5 star hotels but the merchants staff are the best! Arrived at 1.30pm and never left hotel until we checked out. Lunch in Berts then cocktails on to champagne bar then great room. Bar tenders in cocktail bar were fantastic! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I had afternoon tea here a few weeks ago with a friend. It is pricey at £20 each but you are full
by the end of it.

Service in this place I cannot fault with staff polite at both times.

Afternoon Tea: Pricey , staff helpful but vegetarian sandwiches were a let down with too much goats cheese , it was like they didn't really care what was in them.

Dinner: Staff polite and again pricey. The issue again was little vegetarian options for me and when I asked for a salad I didn't expect it to be a few leaves , it was abit of a joke! I felt they could of done me something better and they need more vegetarian options.

nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were disappointed when we stayed here recently as there was a wedding on and the noise travelled upwards to our room on the fourth floor.We love this hotel usually and had been really looking forward to a relaxing night without the kids. We specifically requested a quiet room so were particularly disappointed that this did not happen.
When I complained, the staff member at reception was very helpful and initally asked the DJ to reduce the base noise. This made a little difference but we could still hear the music. The female staff member then offered us an alternative room which was unfortunately also quite noisy due to the wedding music and outside street.I could not criticise this service in the slightest as they did do their best to accommodate an unexpected situation(I am told wedding noise is never usually a problem and would agree on past experience).
The biggest disappointment was the attitude of the staff member my husband spoke to the next morning when we checked out.She asked him about his stay and he mentioned the noisy room.She offered very little by way of apology and then when he asked if we could collect our car an hour later than planned from the valet she told him this would be an extra £1 per hour. In my experience of the hospitality industry(my parents run a boutique guesthouse on the North coast) when a customer has requested a quiet room and paid to stay in a five star hotel and been disapponted in this way,the customer should expect a full apology and an offer of a discount for the room.I am saddened that this did not happen.We love this hotel and in all other respects it is fantastic but I was very disappointed on this occasion.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This is the 3rd year now I have returned with my Granny for afternoon tea. This time it was for her 80th birthday. We had a fabulous spread supplied with the tea and having an extra special plate brought out at the end of our tea with cake and a candle made my Granny's day. Karen who was front of house was excellent and an asset to the company. :-)

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a meal at the Merchant with some work colleagues. The whole evening was an excellent experience, the drinks selection was exquisite, the food was beautiful and the staff were very attentive. The only small criticism was that people from the adjoining nightclub descended upon the restaurant area towards the end of the night but the staff dealt with this reasonably well.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!