“Beautiful Building” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 43 hotels in Belfast
London
“Beautiful Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went here for a drink to meet a friend who lives in Belfast .. its a beautiful building apparently idt was an old bank and has been restored beautifully .. Well worth a look and a drink but dont be tempted to have a session as its prices as quite high. No draught beer!!! Patrons are all well heeled or nosey like us. Its lovely but wouldent be tempted to stay all night as my pockets are not that deep ! Staff are very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Bangor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

my husband and I went in here last night and stayed for food and drink, the food was good and the cocktails were lovely but the service was to In your face and false.

We will go back as its a lovely big room and as I said good food.

thanks

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have just returned from an absolutely PERFECT night stay at the truely fabulous Merchant Hotel in Belfast. right from the second we steeped over the door we were treated like royalty! The staff are an absolute credit to the owners of the hotel. Every single person were warm, friendly and only to happy help. We had a double room in the Victorian side of the hotel - room 215, which absolutely beautifull, very large and spacious, yet dark and sumptious! Bathoom was huge with goregeous bath and overhead shower, top class luxury. Every single detail in the room was perfect and the restoration of this hotel is second to none, with every single feature perfectly preserved and luxurious. This hotel is really the crown of Belfast, and located in the very popular area of Catheral Quarter, with great resturants, the new Mac theatre and trendy music venues. Make sure to head up to the hot tub on the top floor which was fab, hot and steamy and perfect for a cold night looking up at the stars! not sure who said it was warm, but when we visited it was perfect hot temperature. Steam room, sauna and gym facilites are all top quality, with view over the city from the steam room very cool. We dined in Bert's resturant on Saturday and had an exceptional meal, with gorgeous food and some of the best service we have ever had. Breakfast in the Great Room is an absolute must to finish your stay at the Merchant, with very piece of room too good not to finish. I also enjoyed an amazing couple of treatments in the Spa, which were also excellent and staff really lovely. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to be treated like a VIP :) with warm and inviting staff making you feel like part of the family! Last but not least, the cocktails in the main Bar are EXCEPTIONAL and well worth the money. Also have a look in the very glamour Harper store located on the bottom floor if you want to put the cherry on the cake and invest in some amazing Louboutin shoes.
Absolutely everything about this hotel in 5* with amazing attention to detail. Only problem I had was that I wanted to stay longer!

belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have just retruned from a one night stay at this hotel, it may be fancy etc. but if you are looking for a peaceful nite in the city then be aware that the area is anything but peaceful. The staff do not make you aware of the noise from the area, we actually paid a ridiculous amount initially for the room but as it was a special occasion and as we were due to be in the city we thought we would treat ourselves. We rang forward and asked for an upgrade, they suggested a Junior Suite which was an extra £100.no word on the noise outside. We did not get to sleep until after 3.30, when I aired my complaint to the duty Manager she duly told me that it was a city centre hotel and noise is to be expected (her tone was patronising/and undermining and she continued to speak over me)I do understand city noise but I should not have had to pay extra for the noise without being warned first, so if you do decide to book here my advice is DONT, but if you must then ask for a down graded room with less noise,how does this place put clients into these rooms knowing that they face the street and charge such prices for doing so, would love to know .PS They did refund the upgrade CHARGE or a free nite, but only on chosen days, I DECLINED but really from a customer service point they should really have been refunding the lot ,as we did not get what we paid for,if this was a top department store a refund would have been made immediately and that is why we go back to these stores, customer service is more important than fancy and 5*, makes you wonder about these apparent 5* hotels.

Room Tip: cheaper rooms , if that is possible, may be quieter
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I dont know how organises the HR training in The Merchant but I have to say this took my breathe away when we stayed last weekend. I have stayed in Ritz Carltons, Raffles, and Burj Al Arab and Mandarin Orientals butI would say the service was even better because it was 100 percent professional but in no way OTT or false. From minute we arrived , shown to room by great concierge ( Jody), drink in cocktail bar( menu brought in to us and told to take time), to a dinner in Great Room Michel Roux would be proud of, til car keys delivered back.. I have nothing but compliments.

I can see why groups of Americans etc come back every year, cuz in the middle of the strife about Flags, The Merchant would make any Norn Ireland man proud of our wee country and capital city. Its a cut above the rest.

Room Tip: Long Island Ice teas in coctail bar are great.. made with fresh Lime.. a rareity over here.
County Tyrone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here on a Sunday night in February on one of the hotel's Sumptious Sunday deals as we thought it was pretty good value for a city centre 5* hotel. We had got our dates mixed up and arrived a month early, but the Reception staff could not have been more understanding or obliging and we were soon sorted out by the very helpful, pleasant Duty Manager, Sharmain. That was to set the tone for the rest of our stay - from the bar staff, to the Concierges, to the restaurant staff, all without fail were what customer service should be, nothing was too much trouble for them. We literally ate and drank ourselves silly during our visit - everything was delicious! Our room, an Art Deco one, was spacious, so comfortable and the last word in luxury - particularly the super-comfy beds! Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would return in a heartbeat - the icing on the cake was Monday morning's roof-top hot-tub high above Belfast, before our lovely cooked breakfast. A stay at The Merchant is definitely a treat worth saving up for and we will be back! Great service, superb location and unparalleled luxury, definitely a 5* venue!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed in the merchant in Sunday night with my sister and best friend to mark my xxth birthday. We had a fantastic time.

Stayed in a Deluxe Deco room which was amazing. The roof top hot tub (which was more luke warm than hot) is worth a visit - if only for the experience. A novel way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon. Dined in Bert's where the service was excellent then finished off the night sampling great quality cocktails in the cocktail bar which is a must visit.

Breakfast the following morning in the great restaurant did not disappoint. I would agree with Paul T's observations about the staff training and service. Well worth a visit. This was the second time I have been fortunate enough to stay overnight in the Merchant Hotel and hope it won't be my last.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!