“2nd Stay” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Skipper Street, Belfast BT1 2DY, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
“2nd Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

From entering The Merchant Hotel, until we left, our stay was perfect! I cannot say enough about the rooms we were allocated, the staff were more than helpful, their service was excellent. The dinner and breakfast in the Great hall was outstanding! Can't wait for the next stay!!!!

Room Tip: Having stayed in the ArtDeco and Victorian Rooms, I really couldn't choose between them, would o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
derry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Merchant Hotel is the first I have visited which lived up to its hype. The staff were warm, helpful and gave consistently top class and discreet service which reflects the total experience.
Our room was stylish, the bathroom luxurious and I can honestly say that I slept as well in my hotel bed as I do at home- a first!
We enjoyed cocktails in the elegant Cocktail Bar and breakfast in the magnificent Great room was outstanding in terms of both food and staff.

Great value for money, great experience, fabulous architecture.

Belfast has just become a weekend-away destination.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was not my first visit to the Merchant - all business related but my wife had not stayed there before and we had a fantastic time from start to finish. We had palnned this stay to co-incide with an Andrea Bocelli concert in the Odyssey - it is within a easy walk of the hotel which is a big advantage as it can be chaos after a big event!
We had a light lunch in the main bar which with an open fire and the opulent surroundings of the old Ulster Bank headquarters - where the vault is now a wine cellar - we started to relax immediately. The room was huge, great views over Belfast and an art deco theme - big bathroom, separate shower and bath - excellent. Before going out we visited Bert's Bar for an early dinner - boy was this something we had not expected - it was excellent we had a mixed starter that would have been enough in its self then chateaubriand steak - that was as good a steak as I have had for a long time - champagne, red & white wine by the glass - a brilliant meal and great steak, service excellent and while it was busy still time for a chat and a catch up with the staff! Back to the bar after the concert anda few nightcaps before bed - perfect! Needless to say the service ambiance and attention to detail were first class and the breakfasts are what breakfasts should be - relaxed great food and no rush. Anything to improve - two small things our tioletries were not refreshed overnight and we had to ask for more. An ongoing issue for me is that in an award winning cocktail bar - I cannot get a perfect G&T! Not cheap but you remember the experience long after you have forgotten the price! We will be back again - best in Belfast

Room Tip: I have been in most types of room in the hotel and there is not a bad one, if you wnat charachter tr...
Ballynahinch.UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Warm recption on arrival and check out. Upgraded to mini suite (our 48th wedding anniversary) in the Victorian Section. Super accomodation. A light near the tea & coffee would have made it easier to make. Dinner in Bert's was great-hepled by the complimentary glass of champagne from the excellent bar man. Enjoyed the jazz pianist and singer. Card ,balloons & truffles on retiring. Loved it

Room Tip: We prefer the decorArt Deco rooms but could not fault the Victorian
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I think micheal in the dinner roon upstairs was very good he was kind helpful and polite. The room was amazing and the food and drinks where high standard thank you. The staff where very kind and helpful. The place is beautiful inside and met some celebraties there too

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

without doubt the best hotel experience in Belfast. This place oozes class, from the "doorman" - a refreshingly attractive blonde female, to the receptionist, to the delightful bedroom with the comfiest hotel bed I've slept in for a long time, to the bar staff (still smiling as our sing-song by the open fire continued to 5am!), to the restaurant staff who welcomed us with smiles even tho' we were late for breakfast..... Don't expect a cheap night (bottle of beer and a G&T £12). So if you want a treat and don't mind bending the plastic, I'd recommend the Merchant. We'll be back.
B&P

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the Merchant for business for two nights on November 11-13, 2012. I arranged a hotel transfer through the hotel and a driver was waiting as promised when I arrived. He was friendly and engaging.

The front desk staff person at check-in (around 10pm) was incredibly friendly and made me feel immediately welcome. She advised that in-room dining's menu would be much more limited shortly and if I wished to order I should do so soon.

Ciaran assisted with our luggage (my wife was with me) and upon learning that I had not had a proper pint of Guinness beer, went the extra step of attending at the bar adjacent to the Merchant but not connected to bring me up a pint. What incredible service!

It set the tone for consistent, superb and friendly service during our stay. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The included breakfast is superb and generous.

Highly recommended!