“Merchant oozes class” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Skipper Street, Belfast BT1 2DY, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 44 hotels in Belfast
“Merchant oozes class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

without doubt the best hotel experience in Belfast. This place oozes class, from the "doorman" - a refreshingly attractive blonde female, to the receptionist, to the delightful bedroom with the comfiest hotel bed I've slept in for a long time, to the bar staff (still smiling as our sing-song by the open fire continued to 5am!), to the restaurant staff who welcomed us with smiles even tho' we were late for breakfast..... Don't expect a cheap night (bottle of beer and a G&T £12). So if you want a treat and don't mind bending the plastic, I'd recommend the Merchant. We'll be back.
B&P

1,349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the Merchant for business for two nights on November 11-13, 2012. I arranged a hotel transfer through the hotel and a driver was waiting as promised when I arrived. He was friendly and engaging.

The front desk staff person at check-in (around 10pm) was incredibly friendly and made me feel immediately welcome. She advised that in-room dining's menu would be much more limited shortly and if I wished to order I should do so soon.

Ciaran assisted with our luggage (my wife was with me) and upon learning that I had not had a proper pint of Guinness beer, went the extra step of attending at the bar adjacent to the Merchant but not connected to bring me up a pint. What incredible service!

It set the tone for consistent, superb and friendly service during our stay. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The included breakfast is superb and generous.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently for our wedding anniversary and it was truly a great experience from check in to check out. The room, staff, food and drinks were all of the highest standard and I would go back in a heart beat. I would also recommend the Spa which is also fantastic.

Room Tip: Victorian rooms would be my choice as they feel more luxurious than the more modern rooms.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the hotel as part of a birthday celebration. From arrival to departure the service was excellent. We left bags and car off around 1130 and headed off for some shopping. Got a call shortly afer 1pm to say room was ready even though official check in was much later. All the bars were very busy - it was a Saturday night and a great atmosphere - wonderful tall cocktails. Our room overlooked the street but we had no noise issues and room was pure luxury. Definitely worth every penny and be sure and enjoy a great breakfast followed by a relaxing time in the rooftop hot tub. Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Room Tip: older rooms may overlook side street with bars so check if this is a problem for you
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Merchant Hotel last week as a special treat for my girlfriend and the whole experience could not have been better!

On checking in I was greeted by a very friendly concierge who arranged to park my car nearby. Our room was very luxurious, we opted for the 'victorian room' which seemed to be full of antique like furniture, heavy draped curtains, and a very rich bathroom covered in a dark green marble and with a huge deep set bath and powerful shower. We visited the hydroptherapy pool on the rooftop which has views of most of Belfast, nothing nicer than sitting in a bubbling hot tub while it rains!

For our meal at nice we visited Bert's Jazz Bar which had a bustling atmosphere, dark walls, jazz music, and every table full gave it a great ambience for a meal and a few drinks. The meal itself was nice but is on the fancier side and some of the sauces and sides with the meal itself my girlfriend or I weren't particularly fussed on. After the meal we headed into the bar and played some snooker in the billiards room. Breakfast was outstanding in the Great Room with excellent service and top quality food on offer (I had pastries, fresh fruit, and then salmon and scrambled eggs for the cooked breakfast).

Worth mentioning that while checking in and checking out, I managed to bump into, one extremely well known Irish comedian, a world famous book author, and a very well known Belfast actor.. so keep your eyes open when you're staying here! Will definitely return in the future.

Durham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Booked this hotel on the strength, largely, of reviews on this site. Then wished I hadn't.
Love Belfast, but would give the Merchant a swerve next time. Over-rated, over-priced, a triumph of style over substance. You can get much better value elsewhere in the city.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moygashel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My new wife and I called in for afternoon tea one Saturday. Even though we hadn't booked the staff were delightful and managed to find us a table. The food and tea was top notch. There was another group in the room, who were having a renunion and didn't want to sit down as they didn't really know eachother which bothered us as they were all standing right behind us, but we didn't want to say anyting because they were so nice about it...but we didn't have to as when we went to pay the bill the staff apologised and gave us a discount.

Would really reccomend this experience and will be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!