“What a Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“What a Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently for our wedding anniversary and it was truly a great experience from check in to check out. The room, staff, food and drinks were all of the highest standard and I would go back in a heart beat. I would also recommend the Spa which is also fantastic.

Room Tip: Victorian rooms would be my choice as they feel more luxurious than the more modern rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the hotel as part of a birthday celebration. From arrival to departure the service was excellent. We left bags and car off around 1130 and headed off for some shopping. Got a call shortly afer 1pm to say room was ready even though official check in was much later. All the bars were very busy - it was a Saturday night and a great atmosphere - wonderful tall cocktails. Our room overlooked the street but we had no noise issues and room was pure luxury. Definitely worth every penny and be sure and enjoy a great breakfast followed by a relaxing time in the rooftop hot tub. Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Room Tip: older rooms may overlook side street with bars so check if this is a problem for you
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Merchant Hotel last week as a special treat for my girlfriend and the whole experience could not have been better!

On checking in I was greeted by a very friendly concierge who arranged to park my car nearby. Our room was very luxurious, we opted for the 'victorian room' which seemed to be full of antique like furniture, heavy draped curtains, and a very rich bathroom covered in a dark green marble and with a huge deep set bath and powerful shower. We visited the hydroptherapy pool on the rooftop which has views of most of Belfast, nothing nicer than sitting in a bubbling hot tub while it rains!

For our meal at nice we visited Bert's Jazz Bar which had a bustling atmosphere, dark walls, jazz music, and every table full gave it a great ambience for a meal and a few drinks. The meal itself was nice but is on the fancier side and some of the sauces and sides with the meal itself my girlfriend or I weren't particularly fussed on. After the meal we headed into the bar and played some snooker in the billiards room. Breakfast was outstanding in the Great Room with excellent service and top quality food on offer (I had pastries, fresh fruit, and then salmon and scrambled eggs for the cooked breakfast).

Worth mentioning that while checking in and checking out, I managed to bump into, one extremely well known Irish comedian, a world famous book author, and a very well known Belfast actor.. so keep your eyes open when you're staying here! Will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Booked this hotel on the strength, largely, of reviews on this site. Then wished I hadn't.
Love Belfast, but would give the Merchant a swerve next time. Over-rated, over-priced, a triumph of style over substance. You can get much better value elsewhere in the city.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moygashel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My new wife and I called in for afternoon tea one Saturday. Even though we hadn't booked the staff were delightful and managed to find us a table. The food and tea was top notch. There was another group in the room, who were having a renunion and didn't want to sit down as they didn't really know eachother which bothered us as they were all standing right behind us, but we didn't want to say anyting because they were so nice about it...but we didn't have to as when we went to pay the bill the staff apologised and gave us a discount.

Would really reccomend this experience and will be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great hotel stayed for 1 week on business, everything was super and the cocktail bar was especially good! The Great room was simply that, great with wonderful food and atmosphere. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Belfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My new husband & I stayed a night here as we trekked through Ireland. The reception was warm and Peter who brought up our luggage was lovely. The room was in the older part of the hotel & in viewing the pics of the Art Deco rooms, I'm happy. The decor was Victorian decor and gorgeous. The bathroom was spacious and grand. The chambermaids were so sweet as to leave us chocolates & a little note congratulating us on our nuptials. My only gripes were that the room was on the second floor & overlooked some back alley, so no view. Also the morning of our departure there was some delivery of kegs that was loud out in the alley. If we were on a higher floor, I'm sure we would not of heard it. Warning to folks driving to the hotel & not familiar with Belfast - it's very hard to find. We must of drove around for 45 min + driving in circles before we finally found the entrance.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!