“World Class in Belfast” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
N. Ireland
“World Class in Belfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Last weekend my wife and I had an overnight stay at the merchant. Everything about this hotel has been carefully considered and it's all about the detail and the excellent service. The entire hotel has great synergy; the staff in all areas are well trained, the building itself is so opulent and the experience was second to none. Highlights include the food in the great room restaurant, the hot tub on the roof and the little extras in your room. I'll not spoil the surprise about the latter! The only negative and it's not really the hotels fault is the noise. We stayed overnight on a Saturday and the volume from the clubs and pubs outside was significant... significant enough to keep me awake until 3am! I would imagine it would be quieter midweek. The Victorian rooms, which we were in, would be affected more due to positioning and if I were to return again I would definitely opt for the newer, larger and quieter positioned Art Deco rooms which sit on the opposite end of the hotel. I do however feel that it is a testament to the hotel that I still feel that I had a five star experience. It is expensive but it's worth every penny!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Portstewart, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff, the rooms, the location here - all brilliant! From the moment I arrived the staff have been very polite and very helpful. I was shown to my room, shown around all the parts of the room, given directions to the sauna and gym etc. The room itself was fantastic, very clean and very nicely designed. The bed was very comfortable. The service and the food were on par with everything else, brilliant. The only down side I found was the sound of traffic and drunk people outside the Spaniard Bar accross the road, but the hotel can hardly be blamed for this. Overall, I had a brilliant time, I would gladly go back and gladly recommend this hotel to others.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on 3 occasions to date and booked a suite on each visit. The overall experience was top notch, from the moment you enter the main reception, through to the bar and restaurant. The suites are particually impressive and very large to say the least.
Location is very convenient, and you can walk to most places around town.
Staff were all very pleasant and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ballymoney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I missed my train and was late for my 1:00 pm lunch engagement at the Merchant's Berts Bar. Even so the staff didn't make a fuss about my tardiness and were very accommodating. My friends and I were able to have a drink and catch up before we dined. As it was Belfast Restaurant Week, in addition to the extensive al a carte menu, there was a set menu at the very reasonable cost of £17.50. Tim had the Waldorf Salad, Chris the Beef on Crouton with Bearnaise sauce and I had the mushroom soup with sour dour bread.Yum yum yum. Tim then had Sea Bass with basil mash and it was as much a delight for the eye as it was to eat. Tim said it is a delicate fish. Chris had Chicken Chasseur (bones and all). I had the Boeuf Bourguignon. All were delicious although my beef was rather tough. I like it slow cooked so it melts in the mouth. The desserts were to die for. Creme Brulee for Tim, chocolate cake with hot sauce and lavender ice cream for Chris, lemon posset with raspberry sorbet for moi. It was the most delicious dessert I have had in a very long time. I ordered a very palatable Antipodean white wine with a hint of pink named Ned. I recommend it at £26. Our waiter Richard was really attentive and pleasant as was the restaurant manager. We had a thoroughly lovely afternoon and I intend to go back for dinner and Jazz.

Room Tip: We didn't stay over
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PORTADOWN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

istary 2 nights in this hotel and stay in ther best room 800 pounds for 2 nights the 2 nights i stay i sept about 2hours complainand all they offer me was 1 night stay not even breakfast i will never be back and have for a full refund and they have just offer night stary very very bad

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We too enjoy travelling the country participating in the ENGLISH tradition of Afternoon Tea - I read the last reviewers comments with great saddness as although I am sure Dubai, Bangkok and New York can indeed do Afternoon Tea - it's hardly 'traditional' for them. I also wonder how much they had to pay?

£19.50 pp is by far the cheapest we have ever paid and is definately not reflective of the quality. Yes, there are tables near the entrance but if there were other tables free or you felt the table had not been properly prepared then why did you not request a different location?

The Great Room is beautiful with a lovely atmosphere. The pianist played at just the right volume so you were able to hear each other speak but were unable to hear the guests around you. We had a number of staff serve us - all were polite and efficient. The sandwiches, scones and pastries were presented in the traditional way and were fresh and delicious. Extra sandwiches and fresh tea and cups were offered (and accepted). We were unable to eat 2 of the scones and the pastries so they were put into a delightful box to take home with us, which we enjoyed later that evening - and they still tasted wonderful.

All in all we found this a truly enjoyable afternoon and would highly recommend The Merchant for a first class low price traditional English Afternoon Tea.

ALBERTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Loved our stay here from start to finish!! Yes it is a little pricey, but this hotel really knows how to look after you completely!! It was a wonderful final couple days stay in the country after a month.BEST beds ever, you will have a difficult time having the motivation to leave the comfiness. The food in the restaurant both for breakfast & dinner that we had, was really excellent.There is an elegant pub right beside the dining room, which is cozy and perfect for pre-dinner drinks. with a huge menu and terrific selection of unique cocktails. Only downside of pub is they do not have beer on tap. Bert's Bar right next door has beer on tap, just not in pints - only 1/2 size. The service was not the best in this place and it wasn't even really busy But the live music was terrific.!! Back to the hotel, its in a great location, walk over to high street for tons of restaurants, or over to the "blue domed" shopping mall, lots of places there too. Slurge, you will not regret it, and best of all you'll really enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: They will charge you $20.00 for parking a car.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!