“Not bad, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison

Save Saved
You added Malmaison to your Saves list
Malmaison
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 - 38 Victoria St, Belfast BT1 3GH, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #20 of 43 hotels in Belfast
Brighton, England
“Not bad, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

Stayed here June 2007, very impressed by the welcome and the decor. The room was fabulous - big with beautiful furnishings and a well-stocked bathroom. However, even with both windows open it was almost too hot to sleep. It was only 12 degrees outside so am not sure where the heat was coming from...
The lighting level was low, making for a good bedroom atmosphere but not great for a bathroom - it was really too dark to apply make-up with any hope of looking normal afterwards.
I would stay again, but it could have been so much better.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

I am a resident of Belfast and as an extra birthday treat for my wife I booked us into the hotel for an evening meal with bed and breakfast on the last Saturday of the month. On arrival we were shown to our room but unfortunately due to a problem beyond the hotel's control we had to be moved to another room, no big deal you might think, but to our utter surprise, the deputy manager, Tina, showed us to the best accomodation in the place, The Samson Suite. This suite is the Daddy of all suites and you would really have to see it to believe it. It is absolutely massive with its own snooker table, two plasma TVs, living flame gas fire, huge bathroom with rolltop bath and twin shower cubicle and fabulous bespoke toiletries. We had such a great evening and night in the suite that we stayed in it an aditional night.

I'm sure that this exceptional hospitality will not be made available to all customers who have any problem or gripe with regards to their room but I have to say that the staff and especially the deputy manager made my wife's birthday one to remember. We cannot speak highly enough about this employee and all the other staff we came into contact with in the hotel, everbody was so friendly and helpful.

• Liked — We were upgraded to the best accommodation ever
  • Disliked — Nothing, we didn't like having to check out
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I stayed one night as I was in Belfast on business.

This one looks like all the other Mals I have stayed at with nice boutique touches.

I found the staff helpful - I ordered room service during check in and they were spot on. Food good also.

I would recommend, particularly given that the alternatives are BIG chains that are really soulless (and more expensive than the Mal)

• Liked — Coolness
  • Disliked — Coolness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Stayed in Malmaison for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. The hotel location is good for exploring the city within 5 minutes walk from the main shopping centre. As a previous reviewer points out, the hotel has no car park of it s own. Our room looked over the adjacent bank - directly in to an office window - so the room was equipped with a 'net curtain'.

Room decor is good, although in line with the theme of the hotel it is still quite dark even with the lights turned on ~ which is not good for applying make up etc. The hotel is also very warm and has no air conditioning. The hotel is located on a very busy road traffic noise is clearly audible with the window only slightly open. Rooms do however have a fan.

The room was generally clean, although it could be better! There is obvious wear and tear in the rooms - stained carpets etc. Staff were pleasant to deal with and helpful. Bed was very comfy.

May be its me, but I expected a little more for the money and would not choose to stay at this Belfast hotel again - and probably opt for something with air conditioning

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

I stayed in this hotel in August 2006. I traveled to Belfast from Dublin for the 1st time. We were told the hotel was near the train station, so we walked. We didn't really know where we were going but found it ok. But next time I would get a taxi - instead of dragging our bags on the street!

The building is really cool, both inside and out. The reception was totally different to what I've ever experienced. It comprised of 2 separate tables! We waited for a good 10 minutes before anyone checked us in! I wasn't impressed with that, but they might have been short staffed or something. That was only minor - the room was great. Really plush bed covers and loads of pillows and cushions. The hotel has a cool funky vibe going on. There were free condoms in the bathroom and the toiletries had cool branding etc.

The hotel staff arranged for a black taxi tour around the city (highly recommend!) And they marked out on a map the various points of interest.

Overall I had a great experience there and would stay there again. The location is perfect. Near the new waterside area (which was v quiet!!) and 5 mins from the city centre on foot - it's a very compact city anyway.

One strange thing was - before I left the hotel I filled in a feedback card saying how great it was etc. Then that evening when I arrived home, I thought I had left my toilet bag behind. I rang the hotel twice asking if it was there. I later discovered it was in my friends bag!!! But the hotel never returned my calls!!! Then a week later I received an email thanking me for my great feedback on the feedback form!!!

That aside - it's a great spot! :)

• Liked — Funky interior
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

Stayed at the Malmaison last week, as soon as we arrived we spotted a major problem. PARKING... As with most hotels in Belfast the hotel does not have its own car park, which for a hotel of this quality is surprising.

We were informed that there was one a short distance behind, however when we went to use it later that evening we found it closed. This led us to the Hiltons car park which the hotel has a deal with, but is a walk away across a busy road. Had we know we would have just booked into the Hilton and saved all the drama.

Also room service was not the best, although prompt, when our food arrived it was cold.

The room was a decent size and the bed comfy but we wont be rushing to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Isle of Man
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

Stayed for three nights to take advantage of the Belfast Arts festival and great food and drink scene that Belfast has become - highly recomended Belfast to visit - all the best bits of Dublin / Ireland without the stag and hen parties, and the airport's dead near the town centre.

Have stayed at the Malmaisson a few times in present guise, and preferred McCausland Hotel. The difficulty is do you compare the Mal with other Mal hotels or McCausland - whichever way there are positives and negatives.

The hotel does not have aircon - OK in winter but during the summer you have a choice - road noise from the front or the sound of all the adjacent building's aircon units from the back. May in an inbetween time - we were initially given a quite dingy (as in dark) back room - 104 avoid, but on request moved to a front room - much more spacious and 2 rather than 1 window. Road noise was there till the early hours and from 6ish - but get some Irish hospitality and ride it out.... The returning revellers will wake you whatever (at 4, 5 and 6!) - great pleasure in banging doors on way out at 8!...

The hotel has 3 grades of room, standard, superior and suites - doesn't seem a huge difference between standard and superior - where the room is seems to make a greater difference. The extra £20 odd bearly seems worth it for superior - not a dressing gown or luxury extra.

The hotel is well placed for town shopping - entertainment generally other side of town, but only a short taxi ride away. There are a few good pubs nearby, much cheaper and more fun than hotel bar.

Housekeeping was variable - some days beds were changed, some not, sometimes you got toiletries, towels, tea bags and the like, sometimes not - could be an issue - but a quick call to reception cured - just a good superviser needed.

Have had mixed feelings over Mal's food - some good some bad - there are great restaurants in Belfast - it would be a shame not to try them. For breakfast plenty of cafes near doing full Ulster frys for about £4.

Staying in Belfast has become a quandary, I love the the McCausland, and quite like the Mal. It is however very hit and miss, and for the price the Radisson, whilst corporate in feel is more consistent. For a deal Day's Inn looks good. Depends what you are after - I think a lot depends on expectations, if you're paying £100+ a night room only will you be getting that much extra value than one of the other hotels in the £70 a night bracket. £30 goes toward a good night out, and a night in Belfast is so good £30 toward the kitty, you don't care about the hotel - why pay more?

• Liked — Good position, can have good deals
  • Disliked — Noisy, no aircon, indifferent service
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Malmaison? Share your experiences!