“Overall, very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison

You added Malmaison to your Saves list
Malmaison
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 - 38 Victoria St, Belfast BT1 3GH, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
“Overall, very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent a Friday and Saturday night here last month to celebrate my fiancé's birthday. Splashed out and booked a superior room with a total cost of £306.00 for bed and breakfast. Arrived and checked in with no problems with a friendly and helpful receptionist. Got to the room and everything was fine...the only issue being the darkness for anyone trying to do makeup etc. A light over the mirror could easily sort this out.
Anyway, went down for a few cocktails and some bar snacks. These were tasty but all quite pricy so the cost quickly adds up after a few hours in the bar.
After that we went back to the room to go to bed. Tried to sleep but unfortunately our room had a door adjoining the next room. Whilst we didn't have a problem with the door being there, it was not properly soundproofed. In fact we could hear every single word that was being said by the guests next door (even though they weren't being in any way loud). So that alone unfortunately kept both of us awake late into the night (even after 4 cocktails each). I also found the pillows of poor quality for a hotel.

So, the next morning we went to reception and without causing any fuss, asked for a new room. This was quickly organised and a few hours later we were shown to our new room. The new room was much smaller not being a superior room which I was disappointed in. I assume they had no superior rooms available. Other than that the room was fine and we both had a much better nights sleep. I was a bit disturbed by a big brown stain on the sheets though which made me feel a bit paranoid not known if it was what I though it was. At this stage I couldn't have been bothered complaining and just sucked it up.

Checked out the following morning and we were charged for two nights in a superior room so we informed the receptionist that it was not a superior room the second night. She reduced the second nights rate by £20.00 to the regular room rate (I assume this was correct but never actually checked). She made a comment that she would put a note beside my name saying that i don't like adjoining rooms. I found that comment slightly rude, belittling our complaint (maybe she was trying to be helpful, I couldn't quite tell).

To summarise, I spent around £500.00 over the weekend in the hotel between the room, food and drinks over the two nights. I left feeling £500 poorer with no good memories to make it feel worth while. Actually feeling a little unappreciated for my custom. I spend a lot of time in hotels and find that a mid range hotel such as a premier inn is usually consistent and you leave feeling like you have got good value for money.

There, rant over.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed one night for dinner b and b. Had a lovely meal in the brasserie. Very nice staff in all departments. Comfortable bed. Close to Cathedral quarter, good bars etc. Didnt Notice any noise at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballymena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night over Easter and was really impressed. The hotel has a nice feel about it and the lobby is welcoming and comfortable. The check in staff were really pleasant. The room itself was really nice. There were a couple of things that could have been better - the bed was rock hard and I agree with other reviews that the lighting in the bathroom isn't great for doing make up! Both small issues really. The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Belfast and I will definitley stay again. I didn't have the breakfast, so can't comment on that. But did order a late night snack on room service and thought it was very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Due to the bad weather cancelling our trip to London we decided to go all out and book a superior twin for two nights. On arrival the ladies at reception were very engaging and helpful. Despite the power cuts across the city we got sorted with our room. Very big room and reasonably priced for a 4star hotel in a capital city. Was quite a gothic design which suited our style. The shower was powerful could have stood in it all day. Food was a tad expensive but again the quality was top notch. The waitresses were very friendly and took time to have conversation. The breakfast was disappointing though. For the cost there could have been a greater selection from the buffet and more pieces from the grill. Apart from that very good

• Stayed March 2013
Derby, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The city centre location is great, the rooms are good but street noise is prevalent. I ordered a fillet steak dinner for 37 pounds expecting a quality meal but received a tough steak more akin to a cheap chain pub, I did complain and the server removed approx 6 off the bill which didn't really compensate.

• Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Booked an overnight stay here in December as we were going to a concert at the Odyssey. The lady on reception was very pleasant and offered us an upgrade - first time ever! The room however was disappointing as was very dark and gloomy and overlooked a courtyard between office blocks. The bathroom was small and the complimentary toiletries looked shabby and worn. The tea/coffee making facilities were good though one small packet of biscuits between two is a bit mean, we could have had the Tayto crisps on the table but if memory serves me right they cost £2 which is ludicrous. Dinner was part of the package and the set menu was limited which is to be expected in most hotels although the food was tasty and well served by the friendly waitress. However the restaurant was almost empty and she had initially seated us at a table facing right into the kitchen but credit due, when we asked to be moved she was more than happy to oblige. We slept well, the room was quiet and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was a bit of a disaster with two young waiters not really on top of the situation, we waited ages for coffee and when it came it had not been filtered correctly so had to be replaced - another wait. We had the buffet breakfast which was pretty standard but overheard other guests complaining about the wait for the cooked breakfasts so glad we missed that. There didn't seem to be any senior staff in charge. Checkout was slowed down by the printer at reception not working but that can happen to anyone and the receptionist was very friendly and pleasant during it all. Overall this hotel is fine for an overnight stay but is a bit characterless even though it is trying very hard to come over as atmospheric and gothic. Staff are pleasant enough but I feel they are badly let down by poor management and a general lack of anyone in charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'm a big fan of Malmaison and have stayed in many of their hotels over the years. The Belfast hotel met the high standard that I have come to expect over the years. Staff were exceptionally helpful, the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and food good in the restaurant.

My room was clean and comfortable with an ensuite bath as well as shower. I had heard that parking can be a pain in Belfast but I was able to park right outside with no bother

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Malmaison? Share your experiences!