“Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I really enjoy this type of food so we thought we'd give meat in a bap a go.

My boyfriend had brisket in a bap with chipotle mayo, and a side of sweet potato fries, with some pork meatballs as an extra. I had a salad bowl with pork which gave a real taste of everything including sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, and coleslaw.

Ironically I actually got more meat in my salad bow, however the pork lacked something for me from a personal point of view. The smokey barbecue sauce I had with it was nice but the meat hadn't been cooked in it and was a little dry meaning the meat and the sauce didn't really integrate. The sweet potato fries and corn on the cob were nice, but not really anything to write home about. The beef was again a little dry. The chipotle mayo was very nice.

I really couldn't say the food was unenjoyable, it was just fairly forgettable, and in my opinion probably a little overpriced. I wouldn't discourage people from going to try the restaurant, it just wouldn't be my first stop for somewhere to eat in Belfast.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited here at the weekend after hearing good things on Facebook. I went for the pulled pork and it was nice enough with a nice Apple sauce but the whole thing was ruined by the music which was just too loud. I'm not old by any stretch but felt it by the time we left!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great concept that doesn't disappoint!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Called in here when out and about in Belfast on Saturday and I can't wait to get the chance to call back in again. I had loved the concept of it since seeing it on facebook and sorry I hadn't made it down before now.

I ordered the beef with meaty mustard sauce and a side of balsamic shallots and C had the pork with rosemary & thyme sauce and the house slaw on side. We also got a side of meat bon bons between us too.

The portions were great, and both the beef and the pork were lovely and juicy. The side of house slaw was the nicest slaw I have every tasted and I'll definitely be back for that alone. It was hard deciding what to get as the choice was great. There area few tasty looking sides and delicious sounding sauces I want to go back and try (I can't wait to try the blue cheese sauce or their wings, oh and their sweet potato fries too lol). I noticed they do a veggie skewer also so it's not just for carnavores.

All in all we had a great experience, great service, great concept and great food. I will be back for sure!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Great quirky idea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Was brought here by my brother who had raved about it so had to see what the fuss was all about.

I had the beef with meaty mustard sauce and a side of Mac and cheese. The beef was juicy and melted in my mouth, the sauce was delicious and really complimented the meet, the bap it came in was also excellent. The mac and cheese tasted as you would imagine, very nice but nothing special.

My brother had the pork with sticky bbq sauce with a side of meat Bon bons, he said it was all fantastic.

We found it all to be reasonably priced as it is a good amount of food which is served to you.

I just have two complaints about the place really, 1 the music is too loud, you have to raise your voice to almost shouting so the person next to you can hear, 2 they don't provide enough napkins.

Can't understand some of the bad reviews on here, I really enjoyed and will be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast
“Nice enough, but others do it better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had lunch in Meat in a Bap earlier in the week. We went early, just after 12, as we'd seen the queues out into the street before and expected it to be busy. Service was quick, and it wasn't long before we were placing our order. I had the chicken in a bap, with house slaw; and G had beef in a bap with mac'n'cheese. There were still a few seats left, so we decided to eat in.

The food arrived quickly, on breadboards, not plates. The bap was generously filled, and I could see the sweet & sticky sauce I'd ordered on top of the chicken. The meat was warm, slighty dry and could have done with more sauce on it. The salad in the bap was good - fresh, crispy and worked well with the meat. And the bap was a nice, focaccia-style bread. The house slaw was too salty for my tastes. G's beef was very tasty: the smoky barbecue sauce was great, though the sandwich could have done with more sauce. The mac'n'cheese was quite bland.

The music wasn't so much background music as foreground music. It was blaring so we couldn't hear each other, and we were sitting across a small table. It would put me off sitting in again to eat - I like a bit of craic when I'm out for lunch with someone.

All-in-all it was an OK lunch, but there are other places that do this kind of food better, with a less intrusive soundtrack.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere