“Nice enough, but others do it better” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue, English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Belfast
“Nice enough, but others do it better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had lunch in Meat in a Bap earlier in the week. We went early, just after 12, as we'd seen the queues out into the street before and expected it to be busy. Service was quick, and it wasn't long before we were placing our order. I had the chicken in a bap, with house slaw; and G had beef in a bap with mac'n'cheese. There were still a few seats left, so we decided to eat in.

The food arrived quickly, on breadboards, not plates. The bap was generously filled, and I could see the sweet & sticky sauce I'd ordered on top of the chicken. The meat was warm, slighty dry and could have done with more sauce on it. The salad in the bap was good - fresh, crispy and worked well with the meat. And the bap was a nice, focaccia-style bread. The house slaw was too salty for my tastes. G's beef was very tasty: the smoky barbecue sauce was great, though the sandwich could have done with more sauce. The mac'n'cheese was quite bland.

The music wasn't so much background music as foreground music. It was blaring so we couldn't hear each other, and we were sitting across a small table. It would put me off sitting in again to eat - I like a bit of craic when I'm out for lunch with someone.

All-in-all it was an OK lunch, but there are other places that do this kind of food better, with a less intrusive soundtrack.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Unreal........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I can fully understand y they q in ther 100s for this place. I visited last nite an was completely overwhelmed by the whole concept I realy struggled to decide what to have 1ce I arrived at the hot counter with crispy brown skinned chicken an the pork with the crackling looked jus to die for but I opted for the beef Bap which came to me in a froccacha (sublime) an the bonbons. Now I understand what all the fuss is about the bonbons were absolutly stunning . Well done to whoever a behind this it's jus what Bedford St needed a must try for every1.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Meat madness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my sister for a hangover cure, the staff were really friendly. And when I asked questions about the menu the staff were very knowledgeable and help. I had the brisket, which was amazing. We also tryed the frickles which were very odd, but strangly delicious! The place was clean and tidy with a busy atmosphere. The food is prepared in front of you and the chefs were very neatly presented. I will defiantly be back for some more meat in a bap

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“absolutely disguising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

absolutely disguising never will we be back again felt sick staff were all dirty looking an dodgy looking may i add no defo give this place a miss kitchen was filthy as well by what we could see as we were sat near by :(

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“over priced and not that good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The queue of people out the door of this new eaterie suggested that it was either merely a novelty or that it sold splendid food. After waiting an eternity to be served I ordered the 'pork in a bap' only to be told that there was no pork. I then opted for the chicken, with hot sauce, to go with a side of corn. Whilst standing waiting , for quite a while, i noticed that there was in fact pork available all along. when the 'chicken in a bap' finally arrived i found it to be greasy, tasteless plain chicken with bits of bone in it and served , by the time id returned to my office, in a soggy bun. The 'hot sauce' was not very hot, the quantity of meat was meagre to say the least and the chicken, as well as corn, were simply bland without flavour. This costs £5.95 WITHOUT a drink as was to go. Very disappointing and I will certainly not be back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere