“Good food, good cocktails and good service” 4 of 5 stars

St Anne's Square, Belfast BT1 2LR, Northern Ireland
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Coppi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good food, good cocktails and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Went to Coppi, before a concert in the Odyssey and really enjoyed my meal. We had a selection of the small starter dishes to start, all delicious, especially the feta fritters. I had the sea-bream (a special) for my main course and it was cooked beautifully. The restaurant itself is quite stylish, my only criticism of it is that it is a bit dark and the music is a bit too loud. The cocktails are really tasty and the service was good.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Northern Ireland
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have only been to this restaurant once but hope to return again very soon. The atmosphere was very good. We went on Saturday night and it was filled to capacity yet the service was extremely good and the food arrived promptly. The interior is very nice with a warehousey type feel. The food was beautiful and everyone I dined with loved their meals also.

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Not exactly a special meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We visited Coppi on Saturday 9th November 2013. I had checked the menu online and made a preliminary choice of what I might like to have. The restaurant was buzzing, a nice atmosphere. We arrived a little early and were accommodated.

We started the meal with a cocktail each, which were delivered promptly and were very nice. The starters were ordered and again delivered promptly. My wife had the beef carpaccio which she said was so heavily laden with aioli, it drowned out the flavour of the beef. I ordered 3 cichetti plates, the chicken, the sausage and the squid. the chicken and the sausage were pleasant, if not particularly exciting. The squid, despite what it said on the menu, was laden with aioli. Because I am allergic to raw egg, I am unable to eat aioli or mayonnaise, so I appreciate when it is clearly labelled on the menu. When I called the waiter over to explain that it had said nothing on the menu about aioli and I wouldn't have ordered it if it had, his first reaction was to produce a copy of the menu and try and prove me wrong. it was only when he realised that I was in fact correct, that he offered to replace it. He returned from the kitchen a few moments later to inform me that the batter also had egg in it (which would've been fine as it is cooked) but by this time my wife had finished her starter so I felt that I didn't want to hold up the meal any longer so I just asked him to cancel. To his credit, when the bill came later, my whole starter had been removed, which as a goodwill gesture was appreciated.

The first thing we noticed when we first read the menu was that the chef must've received a job lot of porcini mushrooms, because it was very mushroom heavy. Neither me nor my wife like mushrooms. Both the beef specials were cooked with porcini, the risotto was mushroom, and the duck dish was with mushroom ravioli. When I had checked online, there was a pork belly dish on the menu which I was looking forward to trying, but had disappeared on the restaurant version of the menu. Once you removed all the items with mushrooms, the choice was quite limited. With the exception of steak, which I never order in a restaurant as I do not feel that cooking a steak well is a very advanced skill for a chef, there was no red meat choice without mushrooms. My wife is extremely averse to fish, even the smell makes her feel unwell, so that choice was out too. The only half way apealing choice was the chicken, which was served with smoked bacon, potatoes and roast onion. Whilst it was undoubtedly cooked well and very moist and tender, I didn't get any flavour of smoked bacon, and in fact couldn't find any on my plate. It was fairly plain, a bit bland even, and I wouldn't rush to order it again. My wife had the pork saltimbocca special which she has eaten many times when she lived in Italy, and she felt that this incarnation paled badly into the realms of "distinctly ordinary". in fact she felt that she had just been served a pork chop which had been given a fancy name in order to double the price of it. We both cleared our plates though, so we can't complain too much.

When we ordered desserts, we both went for the chocolate torte, with a glass of muscat. This course was the saving grace of the meal as the torte was delicious. Although we were both nearly finished our desserts when the wine arrived, which kind of made them superfluous.

This was not a car crash of a meal but it was by no means special. We both enjoy good food, and when we go out for a meal we find it disappointing when we have something that we could cook just as well, if not better ourselves. It wasn't helped by the waiter's constant attempts to make a humourous situation out of the aioli incident by asking me if I was still alive everytime he was at our table. I felt it was a little patronising. Overall I felt the meal was just about average, and very overproced for what it was. The incident with the waiter trying to prove me wrong brought the whole experience down a notch.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a very good meal here recently. Staff were friendly and the food was well presented. I liked the cycling theme and the atmosphere was relaxed. I certainly shall return.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast
“Consistently good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Always have great food every time i go, but I find it hard to order anything but the Mushroom ravioli with the duck ragu. Delicious! Love the small plates too. Service is always great. It's also lovely to sit out on St Anne's square people watching during the better weather.

• Visited October 2013