“excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Square

You added Ten Square to your Saves list
Ten Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Donegal Square South, Belfast BT1 5JD, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Derry, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My boyfriend took me here the sunday before valentines. On arrival the reception had a lovely atmosphere and the receptionist was really friendly. Unknown to me my boyfriend had organised a surprise so that when we got to our room there were rose petals arranged as a heart on the bed, rose petals around the bath with a big bottle of bubble bath, and chilled wine with gorgeous choccies. The room was huge and clean, with a small little window and no view, but what else do u expect for a city centre hotel.
We decided not to venture too far from the hotel and had dinner in the restaurant. Again the service was excellent, waiters were very friendly but not too in your face. Food was delicious.
By the time we had finished our meal there was a two piece band setting up in the adjoining bar so we moved into there for a for drinks. The bar is not a typical hotel bar which is for residents only so ther was a good atmosphere..and lovely cocktails!
All in all, it was a lovely experience and I would definately stay again the next time I am in belfast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed as part of a larger party for 2 nights.
The bedding is really odd, everytime either of us moved in bed in the night, we woke the other one up because the bedding was so noisy - I kid you not! (other reveiws mention it too) We mentioned it the following morning to other people staying and they had wondered if the bedding was the disposable stuff. Staff said that it was because it was startched - I'm not convinced, but it was really odd and I'm not usually very fussy.

First night we had diner in the restaurant: my husband has an intolerance to gluten, which he discussed with staff. They advised him what he could eat and they got it totally wrong. When the food arrived it clearly had wheat content and had to be sent back. Staff weren't generally concerned about the possible problem that this could have caused. Coeliacs - BEWARE
On our final morning, we were leaving before breakfast would be served. Reception staff asked us the night before to arrange what time to get breakfast delivered to our room, but our taxi had arrived and I said that we'd need to do it when we returned later at which point the receptionist threw our room key down and huffed! Really, really rude. We did arrange breakfast, but it arrived too late to be eaten and the cost has never been returned and this affected 3 rooms. We dealt with the manager on our return that evening to discuss breakfast and he's the rudest man I've dealt with in a long time (Others in reviews have mentioned him), he suggested at one point that we leave (considering it was at 11.30 at night, it wasn't helpful for him to suggest that we left with no where else to go and 2 elderley relatives).
I could go on and on, but you get the gist? The hotel looks great, but as soon as you scratch below the surface, it's poor and there isn't a culture of customer service that I could notice.
On return home, I called the hotel to ask who I could complain to and was told that there was no one higher than the rude manager we'd already dealt with as it was privately owned.
Stay away - there's much better!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
TenSquareManager, Manager at Ten Square, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Thank you for your post.
Whilst we acknowledge our food service shortcomings on that particular evening and rectified the issue immediately with our sincere apologies, we must state that the subsequent tirade of verbal abuse levied at my staff would simply not be tolerated in a modern society. We will not tolerate verbal, intimidating or threatening abuse of our staff under any circumstances, abuse which left a professional receptionist in tears. We are thankful that the lead party in your group sent us a thank you card full of praise for our staff and the hotel facilities which was most welcome and more reflective of our guests experience.
Cookstown, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Initially when we arrived i thought it looked really impressive. we were shown to our room by a member of staff who was really pleasant. the room seemed really nice too.. but the heating wasnt working and as we were staying during the one of the coldest spells -10 and colder at times out side it was really cold!! the bed sheets were also so course they brought me out in a rash/burn like marks. The restaurant staff were pleasant but i had to send my food back as it was cold (This is something i never do). then when we left we unfortunatly forgot a watch which was never found even though we were able to tell them exactly where it was and they had told us there was no one else booked into that room until after christmas, therefore would like to know what the staff did with the watch? i also followed this up by emailing the hotel via their website to see if it turned up later and i still have not recieved a reply with any kind of explanation or information. at breakfast the next morning they staff were very didinterested and appeared to be hungover or simply lazy and rude. the breakfast wasn't very pleasant either.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We have just returned from a Saturday night stay in Ten Square. Can't recommend it highly enough. The staff were the nicest and friendliest I have come across so far, their welcome is so friendly and relaxed. They gave us a free upgrade to a suite because it was my husband's birthday, what a room...amazing....even a birthday card in the room for hubby. The bed and pillows were to die for. And free movies and internet access! Our package included a three course meal for two in the grill room. The meal was beautiful as was the breakfast next morning. The bar was buzzing, the hotel only has 22 rooms but the bar and restaurant is very popular with non-residents. There was a DJ playing 'cheesy pop'....great night, great music, lots of dancing.
The location of the hotel is brilliant for shopping in Belfast, overlooking city hall, so handy. I will definitely be back sooner hopefully rather than later. This is my new discovery and I will be recommending it to my friends.

Kircubbin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ten Square with friends for a birthday celebration. The hotel staff were wonderful...couldn't do enough for us. We had stayed last month and this time we were upgraded to a deluxe room free of charge as a thank you for our custom. There is nothing to fault at the hotel, its very relaxing, rooms are spacious, clean and well presented, staff are very efficient........in fact to sum it up, we can't wait to go back!!!

drogheda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

stayed here with my daughter before visiting the odyssey arena . excellent location for city centre .quaint, quiet , family run feel to this hotel - however the bar & restaurant seemed lively aswell . Free movies in the room & a free upgrade - my daughter was delighted ! would absolutely recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Belfast . 5 minute walk to car park (extra expense) however the room was such good value that this was not a big issue . Staff were very helpful, chatty & efficient . I will be back.

• Stayed January 2011
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

What a great Hotel! I have been recommending Ten Square to everyone every since my husband and I stayed (with our 5 month old daughter). Everything about the hotel is great, the staff, the decor, the location, the breakfast...we left feeling totally recharged and looking forward to our next stay.
We were also delighted at the ease of travelling to Belfast thanks to the motorways. We drove from Tipperary, via Dublin - making the most of the facilities at the new service station at Lusk - and were gobsmacked at the total travel time (3 hours 15 mins). With a young baby, this made all the difference.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ten Square? Share your experiences!