“Wonderful meal with very reasonably priced wines” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #170 of 736 restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: new restaurant just opened in April 2012 in the Cathedral Quarter, Belfast, owned by Donal and Teresa Cooper
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal with very reasonably priced wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited on Saturday night with friends from Dublin. The food was exceptionally good - my mussels with Thai green curry to start was sublime! All plates totally cleared for starters and mains which doesn't often happen. Very good wine list which was reasonably priced but should include some Languedoc wines too!
We will be back.

Visited October 2013

74% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Dinner and Wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I visted SALT Bistro in the Cathedral Quarter on Thursday evening last. It was Restaurant Week in Belfast and it was fairly busy when I arrived. I had been to a nearby bar for a pre-dinner drink and so was in the form for some good food and wine. I was not disappointed.

Very friendly staff. As I was alone, I waqs directed to a nice quiet table in the corner. They tried to get me wifi connection for my iPad and although the connection could not be made for technical reasons, they did their best.

Lovely menu - special one for Restaurant Week. Fish Cake to begin. A fabulous glass of Montepulciano - superb taste and the temperature was perfect. I had rib -eye steak with chunky chips. Delicious. Had a small dessert to finish.

Very nice place, great staff - very interested (not in a nosey way) and keen to ensure that I enjoyed Belfast. I did!!!

Thanks to all at SALT. I will be back soon!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, Connecticut
“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was my first time to Belfast and was very surprised to find this amazing restaurant. There were a few in that area that sounded inviting. I was very pleased with my choice of the Dahl as was my friend who enjoyed her meal as well. If ever in the area again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to try other wonderful sounding meals.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yarm, United Kingdom
“dissapointing....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We choose to eat at Salt after checking the menu online, which I often have to do as a vegetarian. However on taking our seats we were told that the daal was now a risotto. I was dissapointed by this but felt we may as well stay instead of trying to get a table elsewhere on a friday night. We shared the roasted veg mezze to start, which was just ok. Too much dip and a tiny amount of bread so we were unable to finish off the dip. My partner had the chicken as main which he felt was nice but overpriced for £14. On the other hand the risotto was the worst I have ever had. I tasted like a rice pudding which small bits of (?) frozen peas and butternut squash. I only ate half of it as it was so horrible. For dessert I chose the apple and blackberry crumble which was nice but was blackcurrant not blackberry which was again dissapointing as I chose it for the blackberries. My partner chose the cheese selection. However it only consisted of two cheeses (brie and stilton) which isn't really a selection...

I possibly would have rated Salt two stars however I felt the staff and atmosphere were good which redemed themselves slightly. Unfortunately I won't be returning or recommending to a friend and with so much competition in the cathedral quater now, they really need to up their game with the food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Belfast
“service and food poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I visited Salt on 28th September with friends. The service was poor. We asked for a jug of iced water after we had ordered our wine and were greeted with 'would you like a bottle of still or sparking?'. We replied that a jug of iced tap water would be fine. A warm jug of tap water (minus the ice) was presented. We ate our starters and had only the water to drink. My friend had to go and ask a waiter after our starters if we could have the wine we had ordered. The wine was then brought but no apology proffered for the delay. My friend and I both ordered steak which was very fatty and sinewy. The bistro itself is nice looking and in a great location as I love St Anne's Square but in my opinion both the food and service were poor when I visited. I would not recommend.

• Visited September 2013