“could be better” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

After admiring the cafe on several occasions, I finally visited it last week. The atmosphere was friendly, bright and busy but I definitely wasn't impressed with the quality of the food. My tea was not what would be described as hot, it was warm at best and my rice krispie square was tasteless. I was thoroughly disappointed as I had high expectations of the cafe and the interior and surroundings are ideal.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

lilylady10
“Staff members should possibly consider a career change that does not involve the general public...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I get my hair cut quite close to the cafe and on saturday the 19th i had an early appointment. The snow was quite heavy (by Northern Ireland standards) and myself, my young daughter and my partner wanted to grab breakfast before hand. We spotted the cafe which was well lit up and looked appealing. I decided it best to check it was open before getting our daughter out of her her seat and into the cold. There was no display of opening times but i was able to openthe door and step inside. I waiting inside the doorway for a few moments and neither of the two staff members acknowledged me despite it being blatantly obvious i was there. I accepted this to be clarity that it was ok to come in so quickly went back and got the others. Once we arrived back at 852, i was met by a female who was working on some paperwork. She said they wernt open until 9. I asked could we stay and read a menu etc until they were ready to serve, but the female stated we couldnt as they wouldnt be open for 15 or 20 minutes. Not an unreasonable request but the female appeared insulted by it none the less. She was rude, abrupt and a bit sour to be honest. Not what you would expect despite it being before nine. We decided too try our luck elsewhere and came across a smaller cafe a few minutes down the street. Thr girl working there was happy to have is in despite the time stating they opened at nine. There were two older gentlemen enjoying a fry and we got some delicious crossiants with ham and cheese. Two establishments couldnt be worlds apart. Good luck to Mauds in the current economic climate... They will need it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
B
“Not good.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife , son and I would frequent Mauds once a month but the standards have slipped. Firstly some of the staff seem disinterested to the point of being rude. The food is average and not worth the inflated prices. Also Mauds has only one toilet which is not ideal if you have a young child. Average food and service is the norm .

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have only been here a couple of times, each time I had the chicken ceasar salad, it is excellent.
The atmosphere was lovely, the staff were friendly.

Visited August 2012
Cushendall, United Kingdom
“My favourite cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Have been to this cafe on many occasions, and it rarely disappoints. Great food, lovely danish buns, lovely coffee, great atmosphere, and thus very popular - at times difficult to get a table. Staff very friendly, and knowledgeable about food and drink, and it's very clean!

• Visited October 2012