“Sour Faced Waitress” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bar + Grill at James Street South

The Bar + Grill at James Street South
21 | James Street South, Belfast BT2 7GA, Northern Ireland (City Centre)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #95 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: International
Good for: Doing business, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Best casual dining offering in Belfast with local produce very much on the menu, great cockails and wine list
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Sour Faced Waitress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Food was nothing special, infact overcooked steaks and fatty chicken. The worst thing was the service, one of the waitress was extremely rude. When one of my colleagues asked if his meal was coming with chips, the response was "i've only got two hands". Unfortuately this was one of many unnecessary comments. Overall, not worth the visit, there is far better available in Belfast.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ManagerBelfast, Manager at The Bar + Grill at James Street South, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Craigiemo,
Thank you very much for taking time to post your review. I was very disappointed to read your review as we pride ourselves on the high standards of service we provide. The majority of our other Tripadvisor reviews comment on our friendly, professional and attentive service.
After an investigation to the events i was able to establish which waitress was looking after you on the evening. The waitress that was looking after that night remembers your table very well as one of your guests came from the same town in England as she does which they discussed. Your waitress also remembers having a bit of a laugh with the gentlemen on your table. She did remember saying that "she had only one pair of hands" but given that she had been having a bit of a laugh with the table she thought it would be received in the good humour that it was intended.
Obviously you did not receive the comment in the manner it was intended and for this I apologise.
Your waitress on the evening also remembers distinctively checking on your main courses when everything was deemed as very good with no mention of " overcooked steaks and fatty chicken". We check all our guests while they are eating to ensure everything is to their satisfaction. If there is a problem such as an overcooked steak then we can deal with it then and there and ensure you leave a satisfied customer. Unfortunately there is not much we can do days later when a guest decides to air their discontent on Tripadvisor, rather than telling us on the night.
We hope you will not let this experience deter you from returning in the future when I would hope you will have a much more pleasurable meal.

Quebec
“Uncomplicated good food and very good front of house staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This could be just another Bar and Grill swinging on the tail of its more upmarket restaurant and cookery school, however what makes this a really good bar and grill is the menu and the staff.

The restaurant menu indicates the source of their ingredients which for the most part, is reassuringly local bringing a changing seasonal flare to the dishes. The menu is varied enough for everyone's taste but what the chef has managed to produce is excellent uncomplicated food (you don't need a dictionary to decode the menu) which is flavourful and looks appealing on the plate.

Additionally, the house staff know how to greet and look after the customer. My friend arrived with suitcase in hand and was immediately asked if she would like them to securely store her case. I, who by now should know to ask one very important question about the menu, forgot so my starter arrived (Parsnip soup) looking exquisitely creamy, my stomach was filled with dread as I'm intolerant to that particular much-loved restaurant staple. A quick word with the server, who spoke to the chef, resulted in a change of starter with not an ion of fuss or dismay. Brownie points all round!

It's a fine restaurant, a few pounds more expensive but not prohibitively expensive for lunch plus there is a set menu which offers a great choice if you prefer not to go the a la carte route. The atmosphere is OK, it's not too loud which facilitates meaningful conversation as you can actually converse without yelling - a definite plus in my book. All in all, a very nice lunch.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear BeachPebbleQue,
Thank you for taking the time to post your favourable review.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed dining with us and we hope you can visit us again soon.
Derry, United Kingdom
“Very nice food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The food here was very nice & quaintly presented, the portions were abit too big for me but my partner relished this, I couldn't manage a dessert but had a dessert cocktail...it was delicious! very satisfying evening

Visited March 2014
Dear MoClarke,
Thank you very much for posting your comments.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Derry, United Kingdom
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

6 of us ate here on Fri night. Our table was ready for us when we arrived, and service was prompt and attentive. The food was delicious, my fillet steak was cooked perfectly, I didnt even use the sauce as I didnt need it as the steak tasted so good. Would def recommend and will def be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Yumplum,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Liverpool
“Nice Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere, nice staff.
Someone mentioned on here their steak was underdone. It's a problem with places that specialise in steak, and steak purists they tend to deliver your steak how they think it should be, which is rarer than your average Joe Egg wants it. My steak was spot-on I usually do medium or medium rare. This night I was looking for a medium rare, so insightfully I asked for medium, and it came medium rare actually hedging on the rare side, but great quality. We all enjoyed the starters and the deserts too. My baked apple took me back to my childhood, when my mum used to do them, it was lovely and I will be doing them at home now I have been reminded.

Visited March 2014
Dear Vladsquiff,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.