“Easy stay for business” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Easy stay for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed in the Ramada plaza on a Monday and Tuesday night for business in the hotel and had a pleasant experience.
The hotel seemed very empty, probably because of the days of the week.
Attentive staff at check in, clean room, pleasant food in restaurant. Coffee and tea were good.
Helpful staff through out my stay. When the honey and whiskey ran out and my partner asked them to refill it they brought it over to our table when they had refilled it which we didn't expect.
I accidentally left my phone in the hotel room on check out and drove down the road and back again - was given a key to the bedroom to check it straight away but before I could get there one of the household staff approached me in a very discreet way and asked which room I'd been in, and only after confirming I was in the correct room did she produce my phone. Nice to know it wasn't going to be given to any stranger.
Taxi's into Belfast city cost only £7 - the nearest bus stop is about a 15 minute walk away.
The distance into the city centre would put me off if I was there for holidays in belfast city centre.
I had been putting meals on the room during my stay and I wasn't presented with an itemised bill on checkout, just told the amount. Everything was correct but I'd prefer to check it myself prior to payment.
Also, as is often the case of hotels of this age and class the shower was decidedly lacking pressure. You could get clean but it was no rain shower.
Those small issues aside, I would definitely consider a midweek stay in the Ramada Plaza again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GeraldineMcL, Manager at Ramada Plaza, Belfast, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Irish Rover24

Thank you for your review. We are delighted you had a pleasant experience during your business trip and found everything satisfactory. At the Ramada Plaza it is our main objective to deliver a high level of customer service and appreciate your kind comments on our staff throughout your stay. Your feedback is valuable to us and take on board your relevant comments.
We are glad to hear you would consider another break in the future and do look forward to welcoming you back to the Ramada Plaza Belfast.
Geraldine McLarnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Cookstown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had booked to stay in the Ramada on Saturday 10th November 2012 after a family wedding at a venue nearby earlier in the day- a venue with no overnight accommodation. The bride and groom along with many of their family members (ourselves included) thought the hotel would be perfect to return to after a great day...how wrong were we.
We were greeted by someone from another party being sick in a plant-pot outside reception. We can't blame the hotel for this, but it was a pre-cursor for things to come.
Outside the lobby doors a young girl was lying in a really drunken state. We notified the front desk staff who dismissed us immediately. The young girl was sick in the porch minutes later. Another lovely image. Reception staff left her on her own again, and even refused a friend of hers a cloth to help clean.
I admit that the hotel cannot be held responsible for the binge-drinking of some guests, but the attitude of the night staff on the front desk left a lot to be desired. I wish I had have noted the gentleman's name.
Next up, there was a mix-up with the keys to the bridal suite - staff gave the father and mother of the groom the keys to the suite. They only realised when they unpacked in the room. When they returned to the front desk (in their pyjamas) to sort out a new room for themselves, the gentleman on the desk insisted that they had 'demanded' the keys to the bridal suite. The groom's parents do not drink, are mild-mannered, and would not have demanded anything. The staff member was more concerned with absolving himself of any blame than actually sorting a very simple mix-up.
Phew. On to the morning. Myself and my wife had not booked breakfast as part of our package, but decided we'd go down and pay for it. £25 in total, but we didn't mind because we thought we'd be getting a good breakfast. We got a mainly cold, and very greasy breakfast. So much so that my wife ate very very little. Her mother warned me off the scrambled eggs, saying they were freezing, so I heeded her advice. I got some really deep fried bread with sausages, bacon, and stone-cold fried tomatoes. Honestly, the worst hotel breakfast I've ever had.
We left the dining room very disappointed and went back to our room to get ready to go home. My wife went for a shower, but called me to show me how 'dirty' the bath was. There was water marks that had turned a brown-ish colour. Apparently the bath in her mother and father's room was in a similar state.
So far after a lovely wedding, we've encountered sick, had room mix-ups, cold and over-priced breakfast, and unclean rooms. A great finish to the occasion.
We met the new Mr and Mrs in the lobby before we went home and they were very disappointed with the hotel. I could sense that they regretted the decision to recommend it as accomodation for the rest of us.
Look, I know this is a very long review, and not very positive at all. I've never reviewed anywhere else before, as I've never felt the urge not to, but this was so disappointing, it made me almost angry. I'd have made my feelings known to reception staff in the morning, but they seemed over-worked due to a conference that was taking place so I decided to leave them be.
To conclude, we all left the hotel on the Sunday morning feeling very let-down by our experience, and I just hope it didn't taint the bride and groom's experience too much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeraldineMcL, Manager at Ramada Plaza, Belfast, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Ronan D

Further to your recent review during your stay with us at the Ramada Plaza Belfast we are extremely disappointed to hear your comments. Its is very important to us that all guests arriving to stay with us have a warm friendly welcome, with good efficient service, to make the stay as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible. It is very unfortunate on this particular and rare occassion that your first impressions to the hotel where perceived when you met with these unpleasant circumstances and totaly understand how this appeared to your party checking in at that time of the morning. We have investigated this with our night team and have inform us that they where doing their best to deal with the situation at the time, i can ensure you that this is not regular at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the mix up in room keys with your party which was due to the same name when a member of the party came to the reception and had asked for the keys, which should of got the correct rooms for the bride and groom and parents, we are extremely sorry for this inconvenience that it caused. With regarding to breakfast we are sorry to hear that you did not find it satisfactory and will follow this up with our senior chef to investigate. However we do appreciate you comments and are sorry that your experience at this time was not a memorable one, but we do hope that we can prove a much better one on another accassion.
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here last Saturday night after a family wedding. On first entering the hotel we were greeted at the doors with two females lying on the ground vomiting. Having mentioned this to hotel staff at the reception, they refused to do anything about this and just said it was bad timing. Customer service was atrocious. My parents who had already checked in at this stage, were then told at 2.45 am to leave their room as it had been given to them incorrectly. They had been given the honeymoon suite incorrectly (though you wouldn't know this by looking at it as it was nothing special at all) Reception staff proceeded to say that they had insisted upon this room which was a complete lie. The breakfast in the hotel was very poor and definitely not worth paying for. The hotel in not of four start standard and really needs to improve on their customer service as staff are not attentive at all. I don't think we will stay here again, After a lovely day at the wedding nearby we were let down greatly by this accommodation.

Dear jmo115

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments reference your recent stay with us. It is very disappointing to know you encountered a few issues at this time. It is of the utmost importance that all our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable stay. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that was caused to make your stay not a good experience and will investigate all your comments at this time to ensure the best possible service is delivered to our customers.

lononderry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

good key points free carparking,excellant food ,good jim and swiming pool ,rooms very good ,staff very helpful good for walking and cycling , very nice location negative points bus stop to travel into the city centre to far to walk to the shuttle bus should have a better service it might be good idea if the shuttle bus it provided a service for xmas shopers for the guests inter net could be better

Room Tip: the that booked very good very clean and spacis
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeraldineMcL, Manager at Ramada Plaza, Belfast, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Hugh

Thank you for posting your recent review during your stay at The Ramada Plaza Belfast. We do hope you and your wife had a enjoyable stay on her 60th Birthday at the hotel. Our team appreciates you kind comments and takes on board your suggested comments. We are delighted that all at the Ramada Plaza offers the facilities and surrounding location to suit all our customers requirements and provides the quality service to give a memorable experience. Thanking you for your comments and hope to Welcome you back at our hotel for another stay.
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My mother,sister and I stayed here on Thur 8h November 2012 as we were going to a concert at the Odyssey. On that note, it is around a 10 minute drive to the venue, taxi there cost around £10 one way. Free parking is a bonus. On arrival at hotel the receptionist was doing something on the computer and as I approached the desk he said 'give me a minute'. I thought that was off putting as a ' Welcome to the Ramada, Ill be with you in a moment' woulc have been warmer! But he was actually very helpful when we were checking in, and throughout our stay. We had lunch in the bar 'Surburbia', food was beautiful, I had prawn and salmon cocktail on wheaten bread. Price £6.50, very reasonable. My companions also enjoyed their food. The female bar staff was grumpy and miserable looking. The hotel itself, including our room, was spotless, no problems there. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi were ok, temperature of water in pool too cool, and there was a cracked tile in the jacuzzi covered with black masking tape, dangerous especially when there are children running about and swimming. However, we did enjoy these facilities, and the staff in the fitness suite were lovely. The rest of the hotel staff we encountered were great, very helpful and friendly. My mum is a diabetic and on returning from the evening out we asked for milk for her cereal and some jugs of water, he offered to bring them to our room and it was no bother to him. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous, great selection of Irish breakfast fare and continental, and the staff were more than helpful and friendly. The domestic worker the next morning was very nice and friendly; its these things that make a difference to our stay. Overall it was a nice experience, have had worse, and better. My mother, who never really travels or goes to hotels, was very impressed and wants to go back, so although my rating is average, hers would be excellent! It's subjective I guess!

Room Tip: All family rooms face the car park on ground level.
Dear caitlin01028

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ramada Plaza Belfast, and for taking time to post your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to hear our customers feedback both positive and negative. We take on board your views on your first arrival which could of been more welcoming, however we are glad you found our staff throughout the hotel to be very friendly and helpful. Its nice to know that you and your family enjoyed the facilities here at the hotel from the lunch in the Suburbia Bar and enjoyed the great breakfast choice. Overall its great to know you had a nice experience and would return for another visit.
Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We arrived at 13:50 hrs on the 1st Nov 2012 after driving for over 3 hours. The first words from the man on reception who booked us in were “you can’t book in before 14:00 hrs, definitely not before 14:00” there was no good afternoon welcome to the Plaza, did you have a nice trip etc.
This was an extremely negative first impression; even if we were 10 minutes early there was no need to be so rude. Next words were take a seat and I will check you in at 2.
Thankfully not all of the staff at the hotel were so unprofessional, the staff in the restaurant were very polite and friendly. We had a lovely meal/experience that night in the restaurant.
The small bed in the family room is not suitable to two kids.
I would return to eat in the plaza but not to stay due solely to the negativity on checking in.

Room Tip: Family room not suitable for two adults and two kids if kids are older than 5 (bed is small for two...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeraldineMcL, Manager at Ramada Plaza, Belfast, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear tomrowland

Thank you for taking the time to post review, We appreciate your comments and firstly would like to sincerely apologize for the extremely poor reception welcome you received on your arrival to the hotel. We totaly understand how the first impressions at our hotel would of appeared, this is not the normal reception we would like to give to our guests. We are thankful to know that the rest of the staff had a professional approach and where polite and friendly and that you enjoyed your experience and meal in our Green Room Restaurant. We do hope the positive comments will make up for the negative one and would hope to welcome you to return to the Ramada Plaza Belfast.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Room was nice well presented and a good size, on arrival at our room it was freezing the windows had been left open, took a while for it to heat up! The bath could of done with a good clean, a brown stain in the middle of the bath nothing a bit of bleach could of sorted out! Overall nice hotel and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed November 2012
GeraldineMcL, Manager at Ramada Plaza, Belfast, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Rab84

Thank you for posting your review during your recent stay at The Ramada Plaza, we appreciate both positive and negative feedback from our customers and recognise the importance of making everything as comfortable and enjoyable for our guests during their stay. We are dissappointed to hear you encountered a few issues with your room and apologize for failing to deliver our normal housekeeping standards, and sorry that the window had been left opened and obviously the room was cold this should have been checked prior to your arrival. On a positive note as you mentioned overall you enjoyed your stay which is nice to know, we do hope we will be able to welcome you back for another stay in the future.
Geraldine Mclarnon

Been to Ramada Plaza, Belfast? Share your experiences!