“Wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Belfast

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Belfast to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Belfast
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Ormeau Avenue, Belfast BT2 8HS, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Derry, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here at the weekend.We arrived at 11am & the room wasn't ready for us when we arrived. First time I have been to a hotel where the room wasn't ready before. Well the not very pleasant man on the desk didn't offer us the room just kept our bags without little eye contact.
When we got the room there was two large towels and two hand towels despite 3 ladies were booked into the room. The sofa bed was hard and I had the worst nights sleep
I wouldn't go back to this hotel as there is much nicer hotels close by.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Everything you would expect from a holiday inn hotel, great rooms which were very clean.
Friendly and helpful staff
Restaurants, bars and public transport all within walking distance.
Would happily use this hotel again in the future when visiting Belfast.

• Stayed December 2011
Seaton Carew, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My choice of hotel for both business and social is Holiday Inn. This one demonstrates why.

My wife and I stayed 2 nights 9th and 10th nov and the experience was excellent. When you read negative comments on here you must bear in mind you get what you pay for. Pay minimum rates and you won't get the likes of complimentary wifi. Pay top whack and you'll get the suite with wifi and everything else you want.

We were in an executive room booked via their on line best price guarantee. It was excellent value. Very pleasant colour schemes/fittings notably the wooden window shutters which very good at keeping out the daylight and the minimal but inevitable Saturday night city noise.

The room comes with coffee tea, complimentary bottled water, chocolate, bath robes etc etc. all very clean and well presented. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room temperature very stable.

The whole set up was very clean and well presented. Check in and out (check out on Sunday a very charitable midday) were flawless. An error on their booking system did not impact on our stay in any way once the polite and efficient staff were dealing with it.

There is no on site car parking, in common with a lot of city centre accommodation. However literally a minutes walk away is an NCP multi storey which is secured from midnight to (if I remember correctly) 7 am . Validate the token at he hotel front desk and a discount is secured. 24hr parking for £8 . No problem.

We asked for as a quiet a room as possible, not worried about having to go up stairs along corridors etc. We ended up on the 7th floor. Seemed to be families and couples on the corridor, no stag or hen do's. Very quiet and pleasant.

Minor criticisms ? The complimentary Internet was a bit hit and miss and some of the tv channels on the flat screen tv disappeared. However as we were visiting family and looking around Belfast , hardly big problems.

We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the meals. However the location is very handy for a wide range of restaurants and cafes being less than half a mile from the city centre.

Would we go back here next time we visit Belfast ? Of course, there's no reason not to !!!

Room Tip: 7th floor very civilised.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHolidayInnBelfast, General Manager at Holiday Inn Belfast, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for a very comprehensive review of your stay with us, it is much appreciated.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we went through your comments in detail at our communications meeting and they will be posted for all the staff to see.

I apologise about the scratchy internet service over the weekend, there was a fault with a BT line which caused the problem and has now been fixed. Usually our internet is the fastest and most reliable in the city at 26mb.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully very soon.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed (2 adults, 2 kids) in an "exec" room on a short family break. I had stayed here with work a lot 6-7 years ago, so knew the location was good, which was our main reason for choosing

Check-in was easy & the hotel has £8/24hour parking in a carpark just behind the hotel, so that was easy too. Room was nice, with 1 camp bed and 1 converted-sofa bed in the room. Not sure what else was "executive" about the room, but the room was clean and well-equipped. I would quibble a bit with leaving mini-bar chocolates and (more importantly) small bottles of whiskey scattered around the room.....the kids were intrigued until we intervened!

The location is great, as it's a very short walk to Donegal Square. There's a Pizza Express right across the road, which is ideal for families, and a few other decent restaurants in the areas. We took a swim, but the pool was quite dark, and there were a lot of people there, so we didn't stay long. Also, the dressing rooms were not particularly clean. Maybe we hit a bad time.

The lobby/bar/breakfast area was the biggest let-down. The bar/restaurant area is very open to the lobby, quite cold and sparse and a pretty uncomfortable and austere place to sit in the evening, and it's all a bit tired.....needs a facelift. We didn't eat here in the evening, as it didn't feel very welcoming. The breakfast was pretty standard fare....nothing particularly special, but no faults either. It was included in our price, so I don't know if it was expensive. There's certainly plenty to eat, if you want.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and took time to chat to our kids. Thanks to them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the HIB it is greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and your comments caused some discussion at our recent communications meeting.

The welcome minitures and chocolate come as standard with our Executive Rooms along with free Wi Fi and Movies plus a number of other extras. This is the first time we have had a comment from a family about the accessibilty to curious children and we feel you have a point so the housekeeping team will set up the family rooms differently in future whilst still giving the extras.

I would disagree with you (although very agreeably as I fully appreciate people have different ideas about decor and layout) over your comments about the lounge and bar area. We do keep it is an open area during the day but at night the lights are lowered the area is made much cosier by the drawing of the gold voil seperating it from the reception lobby and the tea lights on the table.

Thank you for your great comments about our location and staff and all your comments have been posted up for all to see in full. I do hope we can welcome you and your family back to the HIB where we can try and impress you and get an extra star (at least) on a future review.

Thank you again for your time and constructive comments.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

First stay at this Hotel .... initial fun & games to find as SatNav takes you around the corner from Hotel (by BBC building) ... so a bit of fun finding the place.
Initial impression good ... bright, clean reception, welcoming staff.
Had an upgrade to club room ... and the room was fine, nice wide screen TV, good sized room, good sized bathroom.
The issue we had (wife & I) was that the bead was awful .. I mean truly awful, had no support at all, serious 'roll together' we both kept rolling into a trench in the centre ............ this was either an old and worn out mattress or had been bought at the pound store.
I do over a 70 nights a year in IHG hotels ... and this was the worse bed, and as a result the most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever had - you could feel the frame of bed poking into your back.

Food ... we eat out in the evening ... loads of places to eat within a very short walk .... turn left at end of road and walk for 2 mins and you are surrounded by restaurants. We ate at a small Italian 5 min walk .. Carlittos' which was fine ...
No shortage of choice nearby.
Parking is not good at the hotel, any spaces are 'pay & disply', and you would to be up early to avoid being 'expired'
However a large secure NCP multi-storey is behind hotel and the Hotel will validate your token so you get fixed price of £8 This does lock down at night so be warned it is no 24Hr access.

Breakfast at Hotel was good ... and often a let down at HI, Egon Ronay it isn't but certainly edible and plenty of it.
Would have no hesitation in using this hotel again if I need to go back to Belfast.

Room Tip: Be a member of Priority club - it may get you an upgrade
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review it's greatly appreciated.

It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed all your comments on to our team.

I was concerned to read your comments about the bed as they are all very new and the general feedback we get is that they are extremely comfortable. Housekeeping are going around testing all the beds to see if they can find your room and I have sent you a private message to see if you can remember it.

I would like to reassure you that we take our commitment to a great nights sleep extremely seriously and we replace any beds / mattresses that our broken as soon as it comes to our attention.

Glad you liked our location, we believe it to be the best in the city, just steps from the centre yet on a quieter road so less noise. Also your comments on breakfast, we are half way through upgrading this further, look out pancakes coming soon!

By the by I haven't heard of Egon Ronay in years and had to explain who he was to my somewhat younger team, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I hope we can welcome you back to the HIB very soon and again thank you for your comments.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I spent a few nights here this month and am confused why the reviews are so poor.

The hotel was clean and my room was very nice and well maintained. I wanted an inner city hotel with swimming pool. This also has a hot tub, sauna, steam room and spacious gym.

The breakfasts were expensive, but in fact are plentiful and to a high standard.

The staff could not have been nicer too.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you very much for your review it is really appreciated by us all at the HIB.

Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our Spirit Health Club is a real selling point for the hotel as we're the only hotel offering a swimming pool in Belfast.

Glad you enjoyed your breakfast with us, I always recommend that if your breakfast is not inclusive in the rate that you buy a voucher at reception which is £8.50.

I agree this is more than you would pay at the local cafe / or Wetherspoons I would also say that we offer a hugely wider choice, great quality and as it is a buffet unlimited quantity of both food, juices and hot beverages.

Also if your bringing a family remember Children eat free at Holiday Inn's.

Thanks once again for your great comments and I hope to welcome you back in the near future to our great city.

KInd regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

A modern well-placed hotel, ideal for brief business visits. Arriving mid-evening, the welcome at reception was warm and efficient. My room was comfortable and clean, but disappointingly the wifi charges seemed quite steep. My biggest issue was breakfast - a buffet counter with two unappetisingly congealed fried eggs and a pile of over-cooked sausages. No sign of a chef cooking fresh eggs to order.Not good enough!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read your comments about breakfast and offer my genuine apologies that it was not up to our normal high standards. I have already spoken to our Chef about your commnets and Anthony has asked to be associated with my apologies. We take great pride in offering a really tasty appetising breakfast and you constructive points have been taken fully on board.

With regard to the sausages I would say that we offer two types here, pork sausages and beef sausages. The beef sausages are very dark looking and this can be confused for looking over cooked which I assure you they are not.

I hope we have the opportunity to show our true colours on a future trip and turn you in to one of our fans.

Thank you again for your comments.

Iain McGuigan

Been to Holiday Inn Belfast? Share your experiences!