“Diamond in the Rough” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 777 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We serve modern british cusine 5 days a week, plus bring your own with a small corkage charge! We only use quality local produce cooked fresh to order!
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Diamond in the Rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The only negative aspect to this restaurant is that it is located in a less than salubrious part of town. However, once you get past this initial impression and venture inside, you will be delighted with what you find.

The menu is exciting, featuring unusual ingredients such as pork cheeks (which were delicious) alongside more mainstream dishes. The food was skilfully prepared and well-presented and the service was attentive and friendly without being over-bearing.

It is a BYOB place, so although the food is probably slightly on the expensive side, the overall cost of a meal out is significantly less than in comparable restaurants.

Will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Co.Down, N.Ireland
“Awesome Eaterie on the Outskirts.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to me by a Chef working in a Two Michelin Starred Restaurnt in Scotland. The guy in question I have known all my life and with this we share a love for good food.

The restaurant is just on the Outskirts of the busy City and within a stone throw away from where we live. We had only been told about it in recent weeks and thought it would be a good idea to head down on a Saturday night. We were able to get a table upstairs although at short notice you and with this being an exceptionally busy place you might have to sit downstairs, they will clarify this on the phone when booking.

When we arrived we were shown upstairs, a cosy and quaint room upstairs, a more like a converted house with beams and stair case. We were presented with Table Water and Glasses for our Wine which we brought ourselves (It's BYOB with no corkage!!) The menu we were handed was exquisite! Just reading through it was making my mouth water. I had looked previously on the menu online and was excited but despite this everything on the menu we actually had infront of us was completly different, allowing us to believe everything was cooked to order.

Everything from Frogs Legs, to Mussels, Salmon and Pate for Starters was available. I opted for The Pigeon Breast and my Partner went for Crispy King Prawn Won Tons. Both which were exquisite! Infact I could've ate the Pigeon twice! All presented brilliant on the plate.

For Mains the both of us had the Shin of Beef on Mash with a share bucket of Homemade Chips. On top of the Beef was Deep Fried Bone Marrow. I can't even begin to describe the flavours! It was unbelievable. I can safely say the plate could've been licked clean!

We couldn't decide upon a dessert and frankly we were quite full by this stage as the Main Portions are quite big. Although there were 3/4 desserts to choose from including a Cheese Board which we seen being brough out at the end for another table (Quite annoyed we didn't get one now)

One thing I would also like to comment on was the facilities, the Toilet was Unisex as there only was one but in it were freshly cleaned towels, deoderants, anti persperants, and other toiletries that could be used Free of Charge. You don't get that in alot of restaurants and the ones you do they make you pay extorniate amounts of money for the privelige.

This was overall an excellant place to eat, the fact it's just a little out of the City means you only need to jump into a taxi at the front door and head on for the night. The fact it's Bring your own Bottle also cuts down on the price of everyones night, there seemed to be tables of 4/6 and couples so I'd say it's a popular spot for having a great dinner and plenty of drink before going on. I can't fault anything about this place. Our Bill for two starters, two mains and 2 coffees including a 10% tip £55 an on a saturday night I think that's a marvelous price to pay for spendour.

Really looking forward to our next visit, next time going to be a group of us. :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Went to Bistro Este last weekend for the first time...cafe atmosphere but restaurant prices and food was just ok and I agree a tad overpriced for what you get. It is BYO wine so I guess they bump the food prices up to compensate. They really need to sort the lighting out..way too bright.
Not my type of place really but staff friendly and obviously very popular as fully booked.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“DISAPPOING”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Tried breakfast before booking for evening meal. Had pancakes which were very dry even with maple syrup. Asked waitress for cream. Apparently they do not have cream in their kitchen - unbelievable given they make desserts! Asked about vegetarian choice for evening meal and told by same waitress that vegetarian option only available sometimes! Decided not to book evening meal and also not to go back!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Unbelievable food at such a reasonable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I visited this restaurant for the second time with my boyfriend last weekend! As I walked in I was greeted warmly by the staff who were very attentive all night. For starters I had the pigeon which was amazing, tasted so tender and blended well with the salad. Then for main course I had the portavogie scampi which again was beautiful! We didn't have enough room to fit in a desert but next time we visit we definetly will! I would greatly recommend this family business, they appreciate all the custom they get and we had a brilliant experience there and will definetly by back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere