“Amazing food --- but!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Amazing food --- but!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I first discovered this restaurant a few months ago, and since then have gone several times per week - we love the food - delicious & for all the times I have been there, I have never had a complaint about the meal!

But... the attitude of the staff sometimes leaves a lot to be desired! Although the majority of the staff are friendly and helpful, offering more, there is one person in particular that rarely gives a smile, or even makes basic conversation. This is really disappointing since the other staff at times are really nice and want to offer more. The food always makes us come back, but everytime we leave we leave we have the conversation about the service!

I know this is not just my experience as a friend has had the same service - how many customers are being lost due to this unfriendly unwelcoming attitude ? Disappointing!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
carrickfergus
“A new experince”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Tried this out with the family Saturday evening; we had the place to ourselves??????? A very helpful guy (maybe the chef-patron) helped us through all the choices especially my daughter who has a gluten intolerance. A totally knock out-meal and very well priced since we brought our own wine(no corkage)

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Best burritos in Belfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Have been to Boojum approximately 5000 times but saw all the great reviews here for Chalco's and thought we'd give it a go on Culture Night. Absolutely wonderful! A great variety of Mexican on the menu and the portions are massive. Perfectly spiced, not too hot, not too mild and really full of flavor. The staff were lovely and a great buzz about the place. Can't wait to go back. New favorite for Mexican in Belfast!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Left it disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Heard many great things about Chalco's and wanted to see if it's that good. Went on a Friday afternoon with my girlfriend and there were some people sitting inside but there was no queue at all which was the first plus point.

I found it quit hard to decide what to get as the main menu board was pretty messy and not organised and for somebody who comes in for the first time, it took me some time to decide what to get. The staff was patient and okay. After choosing a 'Super Deluxe' Burrito and a regular Burrito with Chicken the guy (owner?) asked us if we want something to drink and said we should go to the till. Unlikely to Boojum, I had no choice of choosing what's coming inside of my Super Deluxe.

After a short time of waiting my Burrito arrived on the table. The rice in both Burritos was dry and hard and so was the chicken. The price was pretty good but the quality of the Burrito was not. I can only compare Chalco's to Boojum and we both were disappointed of Chalco's after hearing so many good things about it. Maybe I've expected too much of it after hearing so many good things.

Both not happy, leaving the place saying goodbye to one girl of the staff and walking next to the other girl and the owner and being ignored by them was the cherry on top. If you run a small restaurant as a owner you have to say goodbye to every single customer. Especially if it's almost empty.

I would not recommend it if you want to eat a Burrito. You better go to Boojum even though it's a bit more expensive and you probably have to wait 5-15mins.

In the future I will give Chalco's a second chance, only because I want to try this Mega Burrito with pork or beef to see if I can handle it. Otherwise I would always prefer Boojum's Burrito to Chalco's.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Friday lunchtime burritos are my favourite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Go here most Fridays for lunch and really love the food! Favourite choice would have to be a pulled pork burrito! Juicy and delicious! Wasn't such a huge fan of the steak but it was still nice enough & the chicken is really tasty in a quesadilla. Have heard a few people who find the mango salsa isn't to their taste so avoided it as I prefer the spicy stuff anyway! The staff are really lovely, especially Edgar who my brothers and I had a great chat with after our lovely lunch!

I keep coming back again and again so what they're doing is definitely working!