“Great hospitality, lovely place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Rectory

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belfast
Old Rectory
You added Old Rectory to your Saves list
148 Malone Rd., Belfast BT9 5LH, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hospitality, lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I only stayed for one night but this place was very welcoming, wish i could have stayed longer! The owner/manager was friendly and helpful in every way possible, it was very much appreciated. Everything was clean and well presented, and the food was absolutely delicious (I had supper & breakfast!). Good bus links to the city centre, which is only 10mins away. If you value genuine hospitality then the Old Rectory is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

This was a fantastic guesthouse to stay at. When we arrived we were immediately welcomed by Mary and made to feel at home. She helped us find all of the different things to do around Belfast and arranged them for us. The breakfasts were absolutely amazing and really made a great start to the day. The perfect place to stay in Belfast, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but a cheap five minute bus ride to the city centre.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I travelled with my wife. We were welcomed & shown to our room which was very pleasant.
We stayed for two nights & had two good nights rest. Breakfast was very good on both days.
We were given plenty of advice on local area facilities. Good bus service into the city centre.

Room Tip: Close enough for the City centre.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
antigua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed at the Old Rectory after coming across their details on TripAdvisor. I looked up the number on the website and called to make a reservation for four days that week. I was a little surprised that I was asked for my credit card details In so far as it hasn't happen before when booking a B&B but I suppose it's normal for hotels.

Anyway I arrived after work the next day and was shown to my room and given details of facilities, WI-FI, keys etc. All good. One of the reasons I booked this B&B is that they had free WI-FI. The room was fine with a double bed and plenty of space to hang clothes, desk, good sized TV. However, the private bathroom/shower was along a hall leading to the room - not ideal but I knew about that before I booked.

Initial impressions is that the house was in good order, carpeted throughout but with that slightly musty smell you get from old houses - maybe in need of updating in areas!
It's about a 45 minute walk to the centre of Belfast but there's good transport links nearby.

The internet speed was good and I was able to catch up on some work before settling down to read and watch a little TV. I must say I found the room slightly chilly when the heating was off and I needed to put a jumper on. Also I needed to wear a t-shirt in bed - it wasn't freezing but it would have been more comfortable if it was a little warmer. The bed had layers of blankets of which I'm personally not a big fan (prefer duvets). The house is on the very busy Malone road and my room overlooked it. It was quite noisy at night but it didn't affect me too much as I always bring a set of airplugs.

You have to fill in what you would like for breakfast the night before. I had poached eggs, sausage, mushrooms, toast, tea every morning which was first class, really set me up for the day! I was working in the centre of Belfast that week and walked to work some mornings which was nice as the weather was dry.

One slight annoyance was I had to keep asking for the WI-FI to be turned on. It wouldn't be on when I arrived back from work or first thing in the morning. Not the end of the world I just couldn't understand why it wasn't left on all the time.

On my final day after breakfast I went to check out and gave my credit card as payment. I was told that only cash was accepted. I explained that when I made the reservation my credit card details were taken and I assumed I would be paying by credit card. I was told that this was not the caseand should have been explained to me and anyway it was stated on the website. Well at no point was I told that cash was the only means of payment and sorry but I didn't read the website T&Cs. As it turned out I had to drive through heavy traffic to a cash point which made me 30 minutes late for work.

While standing at the reception desk I noticed there was a sign stating the credit/debit cards are not accepted. I only noticed these when leaving. It would be much easier if this was stated at the time of booking or on arrival. It's rather confusing to take credit card details at the time of booking while not accepting them for payment!

All in all despite some inconsistencies, the not so warm room and the payment debacle my stay was acceptable. I wouldn't stay again though.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
123maria34, Manager at Old Rectory, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
I am very sorry that this gentleman, who stayed with us from 7-10 March 2011 was unhappy with some aspects of his stay, although he thoroughly enjoyed his breakfast which he states was ‘first class’, his comfortable room, free wifi with good speed and good transport links.

On booking this gentleman would have had a choice of either an ensuite room (bathroom within room) or a room with private bathroom, which is cheaper as the bathroom is outside the bedroom so although the bath/shower room was not ideal, it was his choice. I regret that he did not mention to us that he found the room ‘slightly chilly’ as we could have checked the radiator, sometimes guests alter the thermostatic radiator settings even turning them off/down at the wrong end which disables the thermostatic valve. We use blankets throughout the house but we do have duvets as, like non-feather pillows, some guests prefer them, but they do have to let us know their preference. We do ask, individually, at breakfast time whether our guests slept well and it is at this time that we would find out whether we can make their stay more comfortable.

In response to the comment regarding our free wifi we have changed our wifi policy and now ensure that it is available during early mornings and evenings so as not to inconvenience guests.

Regarding taking credit card details, all of the guesthouses/B&B’s I know of in Belfast take card details to guarantee bookings against no-shows or late cancellations but some, like ourselves, do not accept the cards for payment as, because we are small, we are charged between 2.5% & 4.5% depending on the card. When making a booking via telephone all guests are advised that we only take credit cards details to guarantee the booking and do not accept cards for final payment, only cash or cheques. On checking this gentleman’s booking sheet, it appears he was advised but I do understand that perhaps not everyone hears this as many questions are asked and answered during the booking process. It is for this reason that we have 2 signs, stating that credit cards are not accepted for payment, in the main hallway, one sited on the check-in desk beside where guests fill in their breakfast choices each day and another where guests exchange their keys on entry/departure, it is also stated on the ‘Rooms & Rates’ page of our website and on our email booking forms. We may now point this sign out to guests when they are checking-in or, alternatively, place a sign in each bedroom. Nevertheless, we do apologise for causing this gentleman to be late for work as our aim is to make our guests stay with us, whether for business or pleasure, comfortable.
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at the Old Rectory for a week, enjoying a different breakfast every morning. The choice is outstanding, the quality superb and one’s start into the day simply delicious. Not to mention the homely atmosphere in this well-kept B&B and the boundless kindness of the hosts.

With the bus stop at the front door, the city centre is within easy reach.

Mac-users beware: don’t expect the WiFi to work for you…

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I was applying for a US travel visa in Belfast and looked this place up online and chose to stay here as it was just a stones throw from the US embassy. I found the Old Rectory to be a very welcoming and comfortable place to stay. The staff (Mary and co) made me feel at home, the room I stayed in was very cosy and included a nice sofa as well as everything else you would expect and the breakfast menu was superb, scrambled eggs and salmon for me! At just over £40 for a single room for a night I thought it was great value. I'd have no hesitation in recommending a stay at this place to anyone. Also easy access to the city centre from here via buses, ten mins, which leave from almost right outside of the place. A satisfied customer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My friend and I spent one night at the Old Rectory. We stayed in a twin room that was lovely. Mary and her husband were very welcoming and gave us great directions into town. We parked our car at the B&B and walked into town. It took us about 45 mins to walk into the heart of the town but it was nice to stretch our legs after traversing with the car along the roads.
The room was beautiful and clean. The bathroom was great as well. The breakfast was amazing. You pick from the menu the night before and the food was delicious. I would recommend this place whole heartedly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Old Rectory? Share your experiences!