“Brilliant budget accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

22-23 Donegall Road, Belfast BT12 5JN, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
“Brilliant budget accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Right from the booking to checking out, all I can say is it was great!

I had to stay in Belfast for 4 nights last week, and booked the hostel through a website. I booked the double ensuite, and was willing to pay the double occupancy, but the moment the night receptionist knew I was on my own, discounted it to single! He was really pleasant to deal with and went out of his way to ensure my comfort!

The room was immaculate and the facilities on site were great also!

I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2013
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi fnib!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am delighted to read such positive comments and to hear that you enjoyed our stay. We take the comfort of our guests seriously and I am glad that we met your expectations. I am pleased to hear that you will return again in the future and we very much look forward to welcoming you.

Best Wishes

Cathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Never have I stayed at a more clinically abysmal hostel. The staff seemed as though that had a mandate to be nasty and unbecoming; interrogating guests rather than welcoming them. Also, the stairwell was filled with urine.

Would recommend sleeping at a taxi rank in the rain over booking at this hostel ever again

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Ben B - What a lovely review from a lovely guy!

One thing you omitted to say in your review is that you visited Belfast International Youth Hostel as part of the Shamrocker tour group who not only subjected our Belfast staff to a tirade of abuse but also thought it acceptable to cause damage to our property and disturb our other guests from whom we received multiple complaints about your behaviour and how it impeded on their stay.

As Belfast’s largest hostel with 202 beds, we play host to a diverse and wide range of groups of all ages from across the globe. During your stay we had a French school group residing with us; needless to say, the antics of your group in the early hours of the morning, did nothing to impress these young travellers and only for our staff (whom you rudely and disrespectfully refer to) managing to diffuse the situation we would have felt it necessary to relocate an entire coach load of students. Perhaps you should also take the time to read the previous reviews of the BIYH by our guests, even those negative reviews all pay testament to our staff, who without a doubt are our biggest asset.

On a final note, it is unfortunate for us that you were not one of your group that was physically removed from the hostel – you could have had a lovely night under the stars at the local taxi rank and our staff would have had one less headache.

If you wish to discuss your comments in detail or indeed contribute financially to any of the damage your group caused, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place is run like a prison, the staff are the rudest people i have ever come across. I was on a tour group that recommended this place, but I wouldn't even let a dog stay here!!! I had tried to get in the door & was refused entry as I was trying to get my key out. I was then thrown out on the street (being a 26 year old woman) who had just arrived in the city. I tried to ask for another place to stay in the area, as it was the middle of the night & was just told to FECK OFF!! I asked for a refund & again was told to get off the property. I was shocked, scared & didn't know where I was or where I would go, I was on my own!!! Not the Irish charm I thought I was going to receive on my first holiday to Ireland. I wasn't the only person on my tour that had problems getting into the hostel after dark. I am appalled at the situation I was forced into, as this was my first experience travelling on my own. This has put a dampener on me wanting to travel again on my own!!! MINUS CRAIC!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi JJBlogs!

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a constructive review. The tour group which you were with was Shamrockers - their last ever visit to our Belfast hostel and for which the staff breathed a huge sigh of relief when that last bus drove off.

I can only assume that you feel the place is run like a prison because as part of Hostelling International we do indeed have strict rules which we adhere to, to ensure the safety and comfort of all our guests. As Belfast's largest hostel with 202 beds we have a duty of care to International visitors which includes young children and we take our responsibility to ensure their safety and wellbeing as utmost importance. Unfortunately, this duty conflicted with the itinerary of Shamrocker Tours to "go out, get drunk, abuse our staff, our building, pay heavily discounted prices, complain and leave."

Also, lets be clear. You were not thrown out onto the street. You returned to the hostel at 2am and refused to show your key card to gain access to the hostel. Again, to ensure the safety of our guests we make it very clear that to regain access to the building after 10pm you must show your accommodation card to the night receptionist. I'm sure you would agree that if you were a young girl travelling solo, staying in a dorm room, you would sleep much sounder knowing that our staff take this precaution and do not just allow anyone off the streets to access the building. You were also given several opportunities to show your card and only when you started swearing at our staff was the door shut on you. You were not and are not entitled to a refund - it was your choice to behave in the manner that you did and we take pride in ensuring such behaviour is not permitted in our hostel.

By all means, please feel free to get in touch with myself to discuss your issues further.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went on a school trip to Ireland! This is one one of the places we stayed there! It had a wonderful breakfast and wonderful people, and was really a great place to stay and a great center of the city to go on all the tours in Northern Ireland. Although it was a hostel it really had a high class feeling to it, and it was very comfortable. If you want an affordable place to stay and not sacrifice comfort, stay here! It is highly recommended!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Issa K!

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel and for leaving such kind feedback. I am delighted to see that you were impressed by the facilities that we offer our guests and that most importantly you had "lots of craic!"

I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location is pretty good, the beds were clean and relatively comfortable, and the staff were friendly but that's about all I'd say is positive. The bathroom was a distaster - the shower rooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned or the drains unclogged in a long time and the toilets were the same. The bedrooms weren't really clean, and neither was the rest of the hostel.
Find somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hi Jen, many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. It is disappointing to receive such a poor rating but all feedback from guests is extremely important to us. I can assure you that all areas of the hostel are cleaned by dedicated housekeeping staff on a daily basis and I am very sorry to hear that they did not meet your standards. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to Belfast nonetheless.

Piracicaba, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is great hostel to stay if you are looking for friendly and helpful staff, nice location an plenty of space. The bathrooms are separated which is private. There are informations for turism and trips in Belfast
I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hi!
Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you recommend our Hostel to others. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A great place to stay - loved the causeway cafe. It's within close walking distance of the shops and cinema, though miles from the hop-on hop off bus stop. good fun walking through the city to get there though. It would have been good if they had some gluten free options for breakfast - other than the chocolate schmoo, which was delicious :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi!

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel with such positivity! I hope you had a fantastic time in Belfast throughout your stay.

The Causeway Cafe is actually run independently from the hostel but is such a hit with all our guests (and us at Head Office!) With regards to the Café not offering more gluten free options; Alan (Chef and Café owner) has asked me to and he tells me that they have quite a large gluten free range:

"gluten free white and wholemeal sliced bread and bread rolls (to make toasties, sandwiches, and even we can make a full London Breakfast Gluten Free), as well as gluten free porridge (available with gluten free apricot, banana, pecan nut, or honey toppings) eggs (poached fried and scrambled), bacon, cheese, ham, yoghurts, fresh mixed red berries and strawberries, salads, etc etc. We also stock Soya and Lacto Free Milk for those who are dairy intolerant."

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to avail of them throughout your trip - perhaps you will come back again and tuck into just a few of the options above!

Cathy

Been to Belfast International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!