“Belfast - hostel ok-ish; staffing - zero.” 2 of 5 stars

Belfast International Youth Hostel
22-23 Donegall Road, Belfast BT12 5JN, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
U.K./France
“Belfast - hostel ok-ish; staffing - zero.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

Although the Hostel itself is 'refurbished', this should not mean 'soul-less'. Maybe this is why every member of staff with whom I had dealings left much to be desired.
Surliness, rudeness, disinterest were constants here.
This was evident from the failure to look up, offer any greeting, say ANYTHING, by a person on reception(shamefully, another New Zealander). This set the tone and worsened with other staff, even from the man who seems to be in charge. At no point, from ANYONE, was there warmth, natural basic courtesy, spontaneous help, any recognition of what Hostels represent.
When I returned to retrieve my bag from the Luggage Room. the plastic entry card would not work. This happened repeatedly with every card I used there. I asked a new male face, older,(near my age!) for another. He, smirking, had watched me struggle without comment, but now - immediately - ranted, very Paisley-like - 'Can't you read? Give me that. You shouldn't have that. You're supposed to return this. You've got no business having that'. I had been given the card 5 hours earlier for said purpose and would of course return it when I had my bag, so asked 'Pleae may I have the correct card then?' He shouted 'I'm not giving you anything. Can't you read? Don't you read anything?', jabbed at the card with his finger, flung it down, took it up again and repeated the process, expanding his abuse. I was astounded. This far exceeded the general disinterest, 'blood from a stone' attitude met with beforehand. I said he, but not he alone, further shamed Belfast Youth Hostel, Youth Hostels generally, and asked if he'd read the other Negative comments on the website. As I was leaving, he waved my Life Mem. card, about, out of reach, saying 'And I don't suppose you want to leave this by any chance?' He was sneering and would not give my card back. I had a plane to catch, said as much and was forced to reach for my card from his dancing hand.
Also - although Belfast is listed as a 24-hour Hostel, it should be made clear that there is no check in before 13.30h, as I was surprised to find out when arriving around 11am.
Emphasis seems geared to marketing and processing people as units for add-on spending.
I am a Life Member, female, aged 59 - make no assumptions on that basis, please! Staffing at Belfast rated disappointing to abysmal.
What on Earth is going on here?
I self-catered and hope the Causeway Café staff are friendlier.
Things need to improve, from the top down. 'Hello', smiling, 'Please', 'Thankyou' are URGENT first steps.
By contrast, I have only the highest praise for the staff at PRONI and the General Register Office[if you are tracing family] also the City Airport, where people seem to LIKE their work, like people.
I have never before written a review or left comment ANYWHERE, but this experience was so singular and chimes very much with a comment by Sonia, of Wales, on HINI's own website. Add to this the stained and dirty mattress cover, insecure showers(detailed elsewhere), poor self-catering kitchen provision - I intended writing to HI anyway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

This was the first hostel my friend and I stayed in during our trip to Europe during the summer, it was also the first hostel experience I have had.

Unfortunately we got quite unlucky and were put in one of the unrenovated rooms. I didn't really have a problem with the room itself. It definitely was nowhere close to being the nicest room that we stayed in while in Europe but it was okay. The facilities, however were what got to me. The bathroom next to our room wouldn't lock and sometimes the door wouldn't even stay closed! It was also extremely dirty, frequently without toilet paper and we had a hard time even getting the toilet to flush! The shower was also really dirty.

Some of the stairwells and hallways had burnt out lightbulbs.

On the plus side, the restaurant was very cute and had really yummy croissants!

• Liked — Yummy breakfast
  • Disliked — Gross toilets
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

Allowed us to check in early to our room. Had a private twin room with a sink. I only had an issue with the shower which was basically a small bathroom with a hole in the ground without a drain cover. The floors in the showers aren't tile they're just some sort of industrial flooring. I highly recommend bringing flip-flops.

The location is good and the price is excellent. The cafe downstairs provides a good breakfast for a decent price. The internet stations are expensive. I used the car park which is gated but doesn't have much space so if you choose to stay here get there early to get a spot. In addition the call box to the gate doesn't work so you'll need to run in and tell them you want to pull your car in/out.

All in all a good cheap bed for the night in a good location. Stay here if you plan on being outside enjoying Belfast for the majority of your visit.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — The shower.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here...booked a double room - they don't have double beds...only single ones. Not very romantic.

Room - The beds look like they could turn into bunks. Were very high off the ground and fixed to the wall (ie you cannot push them together). It was clean.

Bathroom - Terrible. Shower had no shower curtain...just an unadjustable shower head sticking out of the wall. Reminiscent of a prison shower. Unsurprisingly everything got soaking wet after showering. Towels not included (although some dirty towels were left behind in our bathroom - clearly it hadn't been cleaned too thoroughly). Not for the faint hearted.

Location - located just to the south of central Belfast. Everything within walking distance (but some things eg murals were a long walk). Close to University.

Parking - some free, secure parking out the back. Curiously about 50% of spaces were reserved for disabled parkers (and were all empty).

Reception - very helpful. Changed our money back to English pounds (a real relief) and even looked up movie times for us.

Cafe - located within building. Reasonable prices, good food.

• Disliked — Bathroom...for a small amount this could be rectified
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

The staff was very nice and tried to help out a lot. They weren't too knowledgeable, but tried to help any way they could. The place is very "institutionalized" looking. Looks like a hospital, very clean and sterile. The bathroom in our room was a sink, toilet, and shower, no curtain for the shower. So when you shower you are splashing water on the toilet and around it.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

We stayed here for two nights at the end of August. We had a twin ensuite. As far as hostels go it was clean, secure, and relatively quiet. Our room overlooked the street (and the bar across from it), so we did feel a little less private than we would have liked. The beds were your traditional dorm bed - quite uncomfortable and squeaky. The location was great - near the university, botanic gardens and downtown. The price was also great, definitely the least expensive option we looked at.

There were pay by use computers available for a reasonable price (I think 1 pound per 30 minutes?), and we didn't have to wait to use them. We didn't use any other other hostel facilities (kitchen etc.) so can't comment on them.

• Liked — Feeling of security, price and location.
  • Disliked — bare bones rooms and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ballymoney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

This is the second time i stayed here and i have to say this experience was better than the last one and really thoughtit was good last time. just stayed for one night, me my hubby and my son. I would say this is a basic hotel, hostel isnt a good enough term for it.

stayin again in january t go to a concert. fgreat for a cheap nights stay.

• Liked — friedliness of staff
  • Disliked — only one tv room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Belfast International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!