“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madison's Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madison's Hotel to your Saves list
Madison's Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 - 63 Botanic Avenue, Belfast BT7 1JL, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #19 of 44 hotels in Belfast
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on the 22nd of jan with my boyfriend as we wer in the city to c a gig!!
the location was perfect 10 min walk to the limelight where the gig was on 15 min walk to the city center for shopping!! we booked on the hotel website and got the january sales price which was super cheap 50 euros for bed and breakfast!
the hotel was nice the reception staff were lovely and helpful. our room was big with a huge bed and big bathroom.
i just have a few comments on the room it smelt like eggs my boyfriend says this is because of sulpher added to the water i got use to the smell after a little while it was just very strong on entering the room. our room could do with a lick of paint lots of marks n splash marks on the walls , we had to try about 7 different internet codes to get the free wifi and the last thing was the duvet was super thin and there was no extra blankets, it had been snowing all week so even though the heating was turned right up it was quite cold in bed!
the breakfast was lovely the next morning.
the bar and restaurant were lovely with cheap cocktails during happy hours we would have loved to try the food maybe if we come back.
overall we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked the hotel very last minute when hearing about their January deal.
B & B for £40 per room per night.
The staff as always (would go to bar / restaurant quite often) were professional and really friendly.
Once I dropped my bags in the room I went downstairs to the bar for a couple of drinks.
Their cocktail offer is VERY popular and I was waiting at least 20 mins to be served (a few students each ordering 4/5 cocktails can really take time!) This was slightly irritating and I think maybe one member of the bar staff could serve people who are looking "regular" drinks that take no time at all to serve but still cost more.
The room was looking out onto Botanic Avenue and although the bathroom was maybe a little tired it was spotless. As it was mid-week (and January) there wasn't really any street noise but at weekends I would say it would be a different story.
There are a lack sockets in the room which can be a pain if you wanted to charge your phone but keep it beside you for an alarm.
After a lovely sleep the breakfast the next morning was great - I ordered off the menu (due to dietary reasons) and there was no problem at all.
I cannot fault this place for their service, location and price - I wish I could treat myself more often!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I do spend a bit of time researching hotels (mainly using TA!) before booking so my reviews have tended to be very positive about places I've stayed. Madison's is no exception. I've stayed there several times which says something in itself - rooms have always been very clean, spacious and well appointed. There's free internet, an excellent bar and restaurant and good location (particularly for Queen's University). Staff very friendly and helpful. According to locals the bar can be quite lively at the weekends (students!) which might be an attraction or the opposite according to personal preferences. I've only stayed during the week and not been disturbed by noise even with a room over the main entrance. Considering the quality, room rates are very good value - try it!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear would possibly be quieter particularly at weekends
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We visited the restaurant for our work Christmas lunch on what was probably the most popular day for works outings. We were a party of 26. To be honest we didnt have high expectations as Christmas lunches tend to be hit and miss.

What a very pleasent surprise we got!

The service was 1st class amd the food was fabulous. All the meals were served piping hot and given that we were such a large party, we were all served at the same time. No one was left eating one course while the next was being served as is sometimes the case.

Only one person in our party complained that they didnt enjoy the food but I think that was more to do with they made the wrong choice rather than the food not being good as other people had ordered the same food and had no complaints.

We were given a 2 hour sitting and I was worried that we would be rushed but this wasnt the case. There was plenty of time to sit and relax after our meal and chat etc.

This hotel does fabulous cocktails and on Fridays between 5-8pm they are only £3 each. the only downside to our day was the nightclub.

We were charged £5 each in at 5pm. We have never heard such dire music. No DJ, just the bar staff putting on random cds. And they were random. As it was Christmas and late afternoon we would have expected some sort of christmas music or at least some chart music but unfortunately this wasnt the case. Our whole party very quickly lost its atmosphere even though we tried very hard get the party going. The ambience in the club left a lot to be desired. We complained about the club and were given an immediate refund. I thik this in itself showed that the hotel agreed with us as I have never been given a refund in a club before. The hotel had said at the time of booking that the nightclub was an independent francise and they had no control over the entrance fee. so I did find it strange that they were able to authorise a refund! The night club experience brought our day to an abrupt end which was unfortunate and spoilt the day for some of us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is nice, receptionist Amy very helpful by email and when we arrived for checkin.
rooms were reasonable sized alow our bed was small compared to another family members room. Bed is very soft,but comfortably, room was warm, shower was great and the dinner was good, deserts were not really that special and wine list was not great, residents bar is open till 3am but we had to wait from 1am to 1.45am to get a drink as they kept saying that they had to get other non residents out of the bar, we went up 4 times to be told this, nightclub Avenue was free in. Door man told us to get out, instead of asking us first if we were residents staying at the hotel. Breakfast was on till 3pm so you can checkout first then get breakfast, we returned from breakfast at 11.30 and we were all locked out of our rooms which had to be activated again, this was not good as checkout is not till 12 this needs to be addressed, also fire bell went off twice through our meal, on checkin out a friend said there bathroom had a horrid burning smell which we all went in and good smell, receptionist did not offer an apoligy and just replied that she would get this looked into and was not friendly when we were leaving. overall cheap price for what we paid, breakfast staff excellent.

Room Tip: stayed on 2nd floor, quiet, room 207 bathroom smelled badly.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

had a fantastic stay at this hotel The staff are among the best i have ever seen girl at reception couldnt do enough for us the food was also excellent i have stayed in a lot of hotels in belfast at much higher rates than i paid for this one and i wouldnt rate them as good loved it so much i have booked it again in january for my husbands birthday cant wait to go back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 10 weeks whilst working in Ireland.The hotel is in a great position only a short walk to the centre of Belfast, there are plenty of bars and resturants close by. The hotel has a great bar and great bar staff, it also has a club which is free to residents. The food is great, the rooms are clean and spacious. But most of all the staff are freindly,very helpful and nothing is to much trouble for them.
Thanks again for looking after me.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the staff.
Paul AIM ENG

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Madison's Hotel? Share your experiences!