“Belfast Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Belfast Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I don’t normally write reviews but stayed here last week and i have to say the staff and management went out of their way to be helpful and courteous and my room was very comfortable indeed and being a frequent traveller have stayed in many hotels up and down the country i was taken aback with the warmth and friendless of the waiting and bar staff. I did have several meals in the hotel including breakfast etc and found the food extremely good,I was also very surprised that the hotel had only been open for 2 weeks prior to my visit would certainly stay here again and have recommended to some of friends who come to Belfast quite often.

Keith
Edinburgh

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Everything which has been said above forms part of my experience! I should also note that I never ever write on review sites but my experience here has prompted this!

On arrival the girl at the front desk was very polite and helpful, even if I did request an iron and board that never arrived (she did seem very busy though).

I was put on the first floor. I wish I had read the reviews on here before booking!!

First night stay I ordered food, 45 minutes it came to the room. the guy who brought it to the room was very friendly but the order was wrong - I didnt complain purely for the fact i was starved and didn't fancy another 45 min wait for a redone burger.

I was kept up till around 3am on the first night, there was a disco running until 1am which had me wide awake (gangnam style at 1am had my brain definitely on!) after this it took me a while to get off to sleep (that's not the hotels fault although gangnam style definitely contributed to me being awake - the bed was soft but comfortable enough).

The following morning I went for breakfast, dead flowers and filthy cutlery weren't looking promising!

Toast was stone cold. Bacon and sausage was nice, soda and potato bread weren't cooked properly.

After a long day and not a great experience the night before I returned to the hotel and ordered a take away. I have done this in other hotels and there was no mention that I couldn't do this in the room guide. I called reception as a courtesy and was told that I can't do this, I ask why and I was told that the hotel provided a food service, I made the point about my experience of the night before and I was told again that their policy was a definite NO.

Ok, i can accept that. I cancelled my order and headed down to place a room order and register my issues from the night before - as i was staying for work this was my first opportunity to do so.

I was greeted at reception by a woman who claimed to be one of the company directors. She asked how she could help and I said I wanted to place a room order and complain about the issues from the night before.

I honestly wish I hadn't because for the next 5 minutes I was subjected to nothing but abuse - it was like being on one of these awkward reality shows where the hotel owner is in denial about any issues in her hotel and goes on the defensive and then hurls abuse at guests.....not great.

I explained very calmly my issues:

Disco til the wee hours
Poor evening meal
Dirty cutlery and poor breakfast

I was asked why I didn't register these issues the previous night and I explained

1. You're not going to turn down a disco
2. I had waited 45 mins already for food
3. I had to be in work and did not have time to wait that morning therefore this was my first opportunity to discuss my issues.

I was then called small minded, I was talked down to because I was only 29 (!?!?!?), it was made out that my 12 years in customer service management meant nothing to this woman and that I was a liar.

I was talked down to, my points disregarded and when points were again challenged they were ignored and the subject changed.

I was accused of having a sleep disorder, recommended that I should take sleeping pills because I couldn't get to sleep because of the disco and then advised that I should have some alcohol to send me off to sleep - when I told her that I didn't drink she scoffed at me.

She offered me £5 off of my room rate which I rejected, I told her that I don't want the reduced rate and that I would have rather been spoken to with respect and professionally - she scoffed at me as she didn't agree that she had been disrespectful or unprofessional.

I placed my room service order and went back to my room. I received a call telling me that my food would be free of charge.

The second nights food was a massive difference to the first night, arrived in around 20 mins but I was just left feeling that if they were going to give me my food for free they have only upset a customer and wasted money. I would have been happier if I had been told "we don't usually allow food to be brought in, we understand that this wasn't pointed out to you, tonight we will make an exception but in future we won't" or "what can we get you off of our menu and I will personally ensure that it is made to best standards etc".

I don't see a win win in this at all. The director lady has only put me in a position that I am writing an honest account of exactly what has happened for the world to see.

This could have been dealt with in a better way on their part and without them really turning away a customer.

While I appreciate the free evening meal I would have much more appreciated her respect and for my issues to have been taken seriously and for me to not have been verbally abused.

As I said previously I never write on these things but I am still stunned the next day on how I was spoken to.

The take away was not the real issue, the complete lack of respect and awful service is.

• Stayed November 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed there for a family wedding at Belfast Castle. Room on 1st floor was very clean, also spotless bedlinen and towels. Tea making with biscuits (nice touch) hair dryer, iron and board. The breakfast was ok, with salty bacon and burnt toast! This hotel is very shabby and in need of a makeover!! There is a very busy bar used by locals and a disco that drown out any conversation ! but if your on the 1st floor the noise is awful, I did go and complain and we were able to move across the hall so that we were not directly over the music, even so we could still hear it. The walls are so thin you can hear conversations in the next room and for that matter all other activities!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night with a Grabone deal. Prior to booking I was informed that because it was on a Saturday night, there might be noise from the popular bar underneath our room, however it didn't rise much of an issue during the stay.
At check-in the staff were abit dry, but still remained helpful.

The room was nicely finished, and the Tv had plenty of channels to choose from which is rare to come by in most hotels nowadays.
We went somewhere else for dinner, and just relaxed in front of the Tv at night, before get an average night sleep. In the morning we went for out included breakfast which was lovely. The woman who served us was extremely pleasant, which was a nice finish to our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

went to the Landsdowne hotel on 18th March 2012 mothers day for dinner and a drink. This is the 3rdyear we've have been to the landsdowne for dinner and drink. Cavery was very poor. roast beef was over cooked as were the yorkshire puddings and I am still trying to
figure out what the soup was. I got cheese cake for dessert which i can only say
was either ice-cream or stil frozen. Entertainment later that night was in the main
room which we were not told as every other year it is in the bar area. After a heated
discussion with the manager he gave us a table in the main room, as I explained
to him my mother was on crutches and I could not ask her to stand in a cue that ran
from one room to the other. We arrived at 1.30 and got our seats in the bar area
thinking this is were the entertainment would be. All in all it was a good day as
entertainment was very good but I dont think we will be eating here next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
nothern ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Upgraded to the Bridal Suite which is a lovely wee room. Got this on a groupon package which was very cheap. Yes the hotel could do with a makeover but your not paying high prices so therefore can't complain. The room, towels, bedlinen is spotless, the room was cosy. Got breakfast delivered to room which was lovely. Enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Book bridal suite