“Little Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Tring, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at the Avenue Guest House. Was so impressed with the location, help that I was given by the excellent hosts (Alice & Stephen), and the comfort of the room. It has everything you need, and all you want. I have never used Trip advsor before, but felt that I had t say something, as Belfast/N. Ireland are a much under-rated and under used resource for holidays

Room Tip: Ask for one as far away fro the road as possible!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We came back to Avenue Guesthouse for the 2nd time in December 2012. Our experience there was just as good as before. It was freezing outside but the house was lovely and warm – as was Alice’s welcome. We had a different room this time at the front of the house with a large bay window overlooking the street. It was spotlessly clean and the bed was amazingly comfy. I loved the up to date “Hellos”. The breakfasts were lovely and we both loved the scones warm from the oven. I love fish and had the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon both mornings. My boyfriend had a cooked breakfast and loved the bacon. Alice was just as helpful as before in helping us plan our days. We went to the Giant’s Causeway one full day and it was amazing – freezing cold! We will definitely return to Avenue Guesthouse in the future and would recommend it as a great place to stay to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at The Avenue Guest House 2nd November for 3 nights. Our room was lovely clean and cosy. Breakfast was wonderful. Our host were very friendly and helpful, Had use of computer and printer to book on-line tickets for our journey home. Good location right by University, Botanical Gardens and Museum and plenty of nice places to eat and drink. A short walk into town approx 20 mins.We had a fantastic weekend in Belfast and we would highly recommend this guest house.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our hosts Alice & Stephen made us feel most welcome immediately upon arriving. The guest house was absolutely perfect for us. The rooms were of a high standard and spotlessly clean. The breakfast also perfect with a variety of choices available. Alice had a lovely sense of humour which appealed greatly to us. The location was fine & I cannot find anything negative to say about "The Avenue Guest House" I don't believe it's possible to find a better place to stay for the room price. I booked on the information available on "Trip Advisor" & it exceeded my hopes and expectations - to my mind it offered everything you could wish for or reasonably expect. Nothing else to say other than book there and stay there you will not be disapointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here in September for 4 nights, mainly based on the solid reviews from Trip Adviser. The B and B is a very good standard and i'm sure that everyone will have a good stay here. It is quite a safe choice, ie. rooms all decorated well/ fridge/ wardrobe/ big tv/ comfy bed etc. Has the feel of a hotel, rather than some more quirky/ interesting B and Bs which is both a positive and a negative.

We paid £80 a night, which is quite a lot. The area is good as it is in the University quarter, so lots of cafes/ restaurants nearby. Our room was on the first floor at the front of the house. The room is a bit busy, so difficult to sleep with the windows open because of noise.

The breakfasts were a bit too traditional, i.e. fry ups. There was a choice of breakfast but it wasn't very good quality, i.e. tinned fruit, cheap sliced bread, instant coffee. For £80 I would expect a higher standard of breakfast, definitely better quality bread/ rolls, coffees, cereals and a better choice of hot food.

Rooms were decorated to a high standard, but bedding was sheets and duvets (so whole linen is not changed). I know a lot of places have this, I think that they spend a lot of money on one set of bedding then just change the sheets, but I don't find it very unhygenic as the sheet never stays in place throughout the whole night. Edges of the duvet were very dirty.

Alice was a lovely lady and has a great business here. But it could definitely do with modernising (maybe my expectation are too high!, I think most guests were very happy.

Breakfast times were also very tight - we had to be up by 8.45 at the weekend, which we weren't that happy about. There was no flexibility to this - which was a bit disappointing,

All in all a very safe bet for Belfast.

Room Tip: A back room - away from the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Avenue Guest House for 4 nights in October. We had a triple room (double & single beds) with en-suite. It was a lovely room, lovely hotel, lovely area & very amiable hosts. Very convenient for Queen's University with easy on street parking & a quiet atmosphere. Children appreciated the free Internet & all liked full cooked breakfast. We hope to return sometime.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
W. Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Thank you to previous reviewers for helping my friend and myself to find this lovely guest house. We booked for a weekend in Belfast to visit my friend's daughter who is a student at Queen's University, and chose Avenue because of the great reviews.

We weren't disappointed! It was very handy for the University, Ulster Museum and various restaurants, and only a 20 min walk into town. We had a family room (double and single bed) with ensuite shower room. It was spotlessly clean, the beds were comfortable and - nice touch - the curtains were blackout lined so you could sleep in on a light morning. The room was at the back, so very quiet, with two windows so it felt very light and airy. We had a flatscreen TV with DVD as well as tea/coffee making facilities, chocolates and toiletries.

Breakfast was served in the bright, cheerful dining room, with patio doors onto the lovely garden. Alice offered a good menu and my vegi and my friend's meat breakfast were done to perfection. We also sampled the home made soda bread.... WOW!! I love soda bread and Alice's was the best I've ever tried. There were home made scones too but we couldn't manage those as well!

Alice and Steve were wonderful hosts, making us feel really welcome and also including my friend's daughter, allowing her to join us for breakfast and putting an extra cup in our room so she could have a cuppa with us. We needed to print our boarding card for the return flight and they helped us to use their guest computer to do this: nothing was too much trouble. It was good to have the use of the guest lounge to use the computer, and I noticed plenty of books there as well as DVDs for guests to borrow to watch in their rooms.

Belfast was a delightful experience, full of fun and friendly people, culture and beauty, and staying at this home from home was the icing on the cake. I hope to return sometime and take my husband to enjoy the hospitality of the Avenue: a huge thank you to Alice and Steve.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Avenue Guest House? Share your experiences!