“Early bird special” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Early bird special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was working in Belfast and was staying round the corner, I'd finished work early and went for a walk around, and came across this place. Well it was lovely, the staff were friendly and couldn't help enough.
I will visit again when I'm back working in Belfast. The food was lovely and well presented and the glasses were nice and thin glass. All in all the place has great deco and great atmosphere. As a solo traveller and young lady it made my visit to Belfast a good memory. Thank you

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“New additions to menu welcomed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have eaten in The Potted Hen many times over the past 18 months. Not much to complain about, service is always prompt and friendly. We started to get a bit bored with the menu, it never seemed to change much. Its been a few months since our last visit and we were pleased to see some changes to the menu. My wife had crispy fish cake starter and I had duck terrine both were new additions to the menu and both were very nice. For mains we had hake fritters and beef cheek. To finish we shared a creme brulee. All this was on the pre-theatre at £17.95 for three courses which is excellent value. We have always felt the Potted Hen offers good food, reasonably priced. Still worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“excellent quisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I have been to the Potted Hen a couple of times. We eat out in Belfast quite often and Deanes and the old Cayenne (before it closed) would have been regulars but the Hen is equal to or above that standard. The salted chillie prawns were cooked to perfection (they can be so hard to get just right). My wife had a fish dish, again cooked perfectly and I had a steak. I had read reviews where the steak was criticised but you can always tell when the review is 10 chapters long that it's probably the work of a professional complainer. Mine was perfectly done.
Service was prompt and staff were helpful. It's not the cheapest in towm but then the best never is.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went to the potted hen because we had heard a few good reviews....it was in one word awful. There was no atmosphere, the air con on and we were actually shivering. To be fair the waitress was a lovely girl but they all looked so bored and fed up and I don't blame them. The starters came out and they were awful - my duck tasted like tinned tuna and our soup tasted like a bowl of salt. Our mains came out - chicken - again overly salty. We were there for a three course theater menu but ended up getting the two courses instead because we just wanted to leave. We talked back to the car and walked past Made in Belfast close by - it was packed and the food looked amazing - think we will give it a try next time. Would 100% never return to the Potted Hen.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
bangor co down northern ireland
“Started well ended up a disaster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Well having been here with friends a while ago I had been meaning to go back , we arrived early and we were shown to a table for two upstairs which was great not a typical view of a wall and plenty of space , ordered a cocktail and a beer took a little while to arrive but we were in no hurry , we wanted to have a drink before having our meal and this was no issue , we ordered our meals , salt chilli prawns and terrine followed by 2 steaks one medium and med rare . After 30 mins still no starters was just about to ask about them when they appeared , prawn starter is huge theterrine not so, but very nice, so far not bad two very attentive waitresses one called mairead she was outstanding as the night progressed. While waiting on mains we ordered two more drinks each and we were still waiting on our dinner , nearly 1hr and a half after arriving we got our main course Steaks ,the waitress arrived saying rare sirloin so I said no med and med rare rib eye , she very quicky corrected herself but turns out she was right about the rare ,they looked fab and the chips looked crispy and they indeed were lovely , however on my first bite of my gorgeous rib eye it was stone cold and I mean cold I am not one for boiling hot food so it must have been freezin for me to complain! Anyway I was offered a replacement very nicely by the manager and as this was done very quick my partner had only eaten a tiny bit we discovered his was very rare when he ordered a medium . I like rare but even a bit rare for me so back we go again , mine had already arrived very quick and it was going to take another 20 mins for his steak to be ready and as we had eaten some chips and onion rings we were not really hungry anymore and the atmosphere had been ruined. To be fair to the potted hen they offered to replace the whole meal again and my chips were hard and undercooked this time. The waitresses were so embarrassed and the couple beside us waited one an hour for a main course no starters, new head chef apparently not used to cooking for so many people. I felt for the staff on the floor who were obviously having a stressful night. We were offered free coffees desserts and a cocktail off the bill plus not charged for one steak as I are mine but the chips were awful. Desserts were nice but nothing special. Why is it so hard to get a steak cooked correctly in Belfast , neills hill was just as bad when eating with friends , steak was replaced 3 times ! And James st south bistro wast much better . The potted hen has a limited number of dishes I think about 6 starters and ten mains approx mainly steak and fish and dishes that most people would eat , I am sorry to leave a bad review but I expect more when paying nearly £22 for a steak and 8 for crispy prawns I can cook a home . I just want to say the waitresses again were wonderful under pressure and very honest no bull which I appreciate.they did everything they could , think the chef needs a good reality check . I would love to go back to give it another chance but there are so many good places not sure if I will.

• Visited August 2013