“Such helpful staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Europa Hotel - Belfast

You added Europa Hotel - Belfast to your Saves list
Europa Hotel - Belfast
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great Victoria St., Belfast BT2 7AP, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Such helpful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a function at Deane's restaurant round the corner. I was a bit worried about accessing the hotel, as due to an accident I was on crutches and from previous trips we weren't sure how close we could get to the front. However, there is a small pull-in area which meant I could be dropped with the luggage while my husband took the car to a car aprk (the hotel has no parking of its own).

Check in was efficient and friendly, but when we got to our room I realised that I would be able to use the shower, as you had to climb into a bathtub to do so. My husband went down to talk to reception, and with absolutely no bother we were put into a family room where there was a walk-in shower. The showers are excellent, by the way. Our room had a huge double bed plus a single, so there was plenty of room to spread ourselves. I found the room to be a bit warm, as there's no air-conditioning.

My only slight quibble would be with breakfast. Admittedly we were lateish arriving for the meal but it was well within the advertised time; some of the serving dishes were empty, the cereal bowls available were all slightly dirty and the soda bread was rock hard. On the plus side the staff could not have been more helpful to me - every time I moved from the table to the buffet someone would spring to carry things for me. Well done all round!

After check out I sat in the Piano Bar while my husband did some shopping, and the staff were again very friendly and helpful.

Incidentally, for any visitors who are disabled in any way, the public toilets on this floor are highly inaccessible, being reached by a number of stairs. However, there are accessible ones on the ground floor in the main restaurant, and I have to credit all the staff i came in to contact with for their helpfulness.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Greek first
wicklow town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and had a great time. We were upgraded free of charge and our room was spacious and spotless. Bed very comfortable. Getting to the hotel can be daunting due to the one way systems in the city and would probably advise using a sat nav, however once at the hotel you can use the valet to park your car. The breakfast in the morning was good but I did notice that the choice of a fried breakfast became limited the later you came to eat. We had an evening meal in the hotel and while the food was tasty if could have been a bit hotter. There is a brilliant restaurant up the road from the hotel called cayenne which is one of Paul Rankin's restaurants. Would highly reccommend this restaurant. Overall we had a great time and will definitely make a return visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed with a friend for 2 nights to celebrate her 50 birthday. We had a lovely room looking out onto Victoria Street. As I live in Armagh, we travelled up via train, the train station is literally right next door. The location of the hotel could not be better as it is right in the middle of the centre, close to shops and all amenities. The open top bus is excellent value as you can jump on and off over a 24-hour period. Robinson's bar is a must for traditional music and the Bourbon restaurant across the road is excellent value for money. Take a trip to Victoria Square and go right up to the top to look out over the City, also a trip to Botanic Gardens is worthwhile. Breakfast is first class with great choice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Malaga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed for one Fri.night in the Europa .When checking in I said to the girl that I hoped that we had a nice room to which she replied that we had. How surprising then was our room on the 6th floor.? Our view of Belfast was a wall!
The room was tiny, so small that we couldnt pass each other at the foot of the bed. The wallpaper was dirty and slightly torn in places.It was the smallest most claustrophobic room I ever stayed in.
Then surprise surprise, at 7a.m. the fire alarm went off! Now, Sat. at 7a.m. is not what you pay for either! I jumped out of bed, ran the obstacle course around the little table to get to the foot of the bed, kept my head to one side as I passed the flat screen on the wall and opened the door to see little Asian people running up and down in white pyjamas!! In one of the most bombed hotels in the world this was even a funny scene. A soothing Northern voice then said down the corridor, "everybody go back asleep, there is no need to leave your room."

GO BACK ASLEEP! HEH!> Never again!"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Great location, wondeful staff and hearty breakfast. Where else could you get porridge served with Bushmills whiskey but in Ireland!! Went to Belfast with friends for a birthday - we had a fantastic time in a great city and the Europa was one of the highlights - i will definitely stay there again. Esp loved the Concierge service - I could easily get used to having someone do everything for me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
totnes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I had stayed at the Europa before and loved it, this time I was there for a very special occasion, my boyfriend requested a nice room for this special occasion. The last time we were there was had a special deal, around 75 pounds for a beautiful room and breakfast, this time we paid 120. Last time our room was big with a view, this time we were purposely put in a box with a view onto a disgusting walled courtyard that smelt of grease. We were right above industrial fans at all and couldn't sleep so we had to get our room changed. We think that they probably put us in the worst room they could find because we had made a request for a nice room. Beware beware service standards obviously vary greatly at this institution!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Without doubt the most excellent hotel I have ever stayed in, a beautiful room, excellent food, superb room service and quite simply the most comfortable luxurious bed I have ever slept in. Knocks spots off some of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Been to Europa Hotel - Belfast? Share your experiences!