“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Europa Hotel - Belfast

You added Europa Hotel - Belfast to your Saves list
Europa Hotel - Belfast
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great Victoria St., Belfast BT2 7AP, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Ireland
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I stayed with the Europa during the week on part of a recent work trip.
I arrived feeling sore and in need of refeshment and after being told it was the most bombed hotel in the world up to 1994...I was a little nervous..understandibly :)

I checked in....quite quickly and was given a room on the 6th floor. I was quite excited when I saw the layout of the corridors, mirrors and couches, and lighting along the skirtings....really intersting. My favourite part was the room!!!!!!!! OK the view was an alluminium wall 2 feet from the window and the natural light was MINIMAL but the room itself made up for it. Digital television on a large plasma screen on the wall, nice and cool in the room, the bed is a 'heavenly' (TM) bed and it really was heavenly, it was like sleeping on a cloud with down/feather filled duvets. Beleek mugs catch your eye on the coffee table with some ginger cookies and good quaklity teas and coffee sachets, internet plug for your laptop, LED lighing on a desk and decorated very tastefully, bedside lockers inn a classic mahogany style toned down the uber modernity of it so it feels more homey.
I move to the bathroom....frosted glass door large shower tray with glass door and a rainfall shower with a fabulous decent flow of water unlike many hotels where you get a trickle. large sink area with soap, shampoo& shower gell, the usual stuff...and loads of extremely fluffy towels limestone tiles on the wall....gorgeous, I could slept in the bathroom alone! :D
A safe, ironing board and luggage stool also in the wardrobe.
I was so comfortable I awoke the next morning with my glasses on, remote control in hand..lights and TV on...comatose from the moment I lay on the bed.

Check out was very fast, upon moving to breakfast I was treated like the unibomber when I took my suitcase into the restaurant, the head waiter grabbed it from me and said 'OH NO YOU CANT TAKE THAT IN HERE, YOU CANT!', my colleagues were treated the same way. Anyway, breakfast was wonderful, perfect presentation of cut fruit, watermelon slices, cheeses and cold meats, about five fifferent cereal including a home made musili and a bottle of whiskey to dress the musili- strange idea but it was too early for booze for me. beautiful breads including a guinness bread and fresh white to toast. Hot breakfast buffet included scrambled eggs, poached eggs and fried eggs, potato farls, fried breads, bacoon, sausages, mushrooms tomatoes the works, apart from the treatment by the head water.....it was wonderful!!! In all fairness I did read the restaurant have a standing order with a window supplier due to the frequent bombings.

If you're heading out to dinner, check out the RED PANDA chinese coming out of the hotel on the right, opposite side. Service is a little slow and they mix up the orders but the food is so worth it!!! Chow Mein was to die for!!!!! Great beers etc in the famous Crown bar accross the road which it repitibly haunted by the original landlord and a prostitute who fell to her death on the stairs and broke her neck.....they do request smart casual dress.

Enjoy the Europa....I WILL be back.....and will leave my suitcase with the concierge before breakfast ;)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Greek first
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

we only stayed for 2nites mid week it was very hard to get a room it was very hevealy book due to some big conference but anyway it was a class hotel wud reccomend it to anyone it can b a bit expensive so if u wnt d days inn hotel is realy right beside it so location is perfect still.. we ate in the restaurant one nite after reading a review that said it was awful and i thought it couldnt b that bad oh my god it was horrible realy dont eat in it..other than that it was a lovely stay and belfast is a lovely place great shopping and friendly people find out about the car park before you go we got caught for 40pound for 3days in the car park at the train station beside it..dar are no proper signs...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Stayed here for business in the world's smallest room. Fire alarm went off accidentally (oops at 6:30 AM) no one bothered apologizing for waking and scaring everyone up, then the phone system goes down and the staff could not be bothered to take messages, just funneled all the calls through and no one got messages for four hours. As a result I missed a crucial meeting which is why i came to Belfast in the first place. Attitude is terrible, tough luck when they screw up. Walls are paper thing, very very noisy halls and in the AM newspapers thrown at the doors so expect to wake with a start! Location is great however as of a few months ago, a hotel opened next door that exceeds the Europa on every measure. The Fitzwilliam hotel, it is the same price (thereabouts) with free wifi in the room (nothing is free at the Europa). Rooms are larger with better amenities, everything is brand shining new. Next time I am going next door, they seem much more professional.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Prior to a short trip to france we decided to stay in the Europa as we were flying out early the next morning. We checked in to one of the new rooms on the tenth floor. The rooms were a special treat for our two wives and they surpassed our expectations. The rooms are luxuriously laid out and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. We normally eat in Scollinis but we chose to eat in the restaurant of the hotel that night. The menu was wide and varied and the selection good. It was very reasonably priced and the quality and presentation were superb. I would heartily recommend it to all our friends. We are going back to Belfast for the visit of the tall ships and will definitely eat there again. The only downside of the trip was the power of the shower. Other than that it was a fantastic start to our holday. The entire staff we dealt with were friendly, informative and approachable and our waiter Attila was excellent. Many thanks to all for making our one night stop so enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

The Hotel Europa was conveniently located. The room was clean and well appointed. I had dinner one night in the restaurant and it was delicious. The staff was very friendly and helpful. But one of the most amazing things was the post-stay follow up. I completed the hotel survey and got a personalized message back, responding to one of my comments that I missed a nice deep bathtub in my room.

Oh and I got a GREAT online rate!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
West Yorkshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked for three nights with e-bookers as they had the best B&B rate. The date of arrival was my birthday and the hotel kindly upgraded us to an executive room (I think that is what the receptionist said). It was a very good room, with decent sensible lighting, spacious with a working table and I think no less than four chairs. The room was fresh, clean and welcoming. The bathroom was modern and well equipped - it even had a super-magnified shaving mirror which could actually be lit up (yes, ladies this is important!). We were a bit short on toiletries first night but this was subsequently sorted out.
The only meals we had were three breakfasts, As I said above try to get a B&B rate as the breakfast was priced at £16, ridiculous but there you are! If you can't get a decent B&B rate don't worry - just walk towards the city centre where you will find many cafes offering breakfast quite cheaply (it is called an "Ulster Fry"). The hotel breakfast was OK after you master the toaster - once round hardly touched, twice round burnt. It was a buffet but it was acceptably hot - not the best hotel breakfast I have ever had but more than adequate.
The staff were without exception helpful and pleasant, There are two bars - one at ground level which is the more obvious - and the other (the piano bar) on the first floor with views to the main road exterior to the hotel. The former can attract people from outside the hotel; the latter is much more pleasant and refined in my view. and was a nice place to have a drink. On the other hand just across the road you will find a traditional pub (owned by the National Trust!) called the "Crown Bar " which puts the "Q" into quaint. Well worth a visit.
One last word! I should mention the location of the hotel. It is next to the Europa Bus Station - buses to all over and including the Airport. It was nice to arrive from the Airport and find ourselves next to the hotel. in addition the hotel is only about a ten minute walk to the City Hall and the City Centre. The open-top tourist bus stops nearby. Sorry to go on but i should mention that the Concierge was very good. There were about four that I could see (rotating) but they were all good and they can arrange you a trip to (for example) the Giant' Causeway, being picked up at the hotel.
We had an excellent stay and I would unreservedly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
n.ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Arrived at hotel at 9pm was greeted at reception by friendly receptionist staff who was very informative and helpful. We had two rooms booked which were on different floors the receptionist moved our rooms so we could be together on the same floor. The room we stayed in was on the top floor and had amazing views over great victoria street. our bedroom was spotless and the bathroom toiletries was the white company of london which was a nice touch. The best was yet to come as the bed was the most comfortable bed i have slept in at a hotel and i had a wonderful nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Europa Hotel - Belfast? Share your experiences!