“Afternoon tea review” 3 of 5 stars

2 Maryville Park, Belfast BT9 6LN, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #13 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
“Afternoon tea review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I debated whether to actually post this review as I don't really like to be negative online, however the service I recieved here made me think that a private email probably would have been ignored as much as this will. Afternoon tea was tasty but the service was downright awful, verging on neglectful and at some points rude. DO NOT make the mistake of booking for a group of friends greater than 4 as they will charge you £5 per head for the booking and then penalise you for someone not turning up. This happened in my case. They refused to understand that of course I have no control over any of my friends pulling out at the last minute..and they were only penalising me who made the booking. They kept the £10 extra deposit I paid on my card..even though they clearly did not premake enough sandwiches for 6 people (there were 4 of us, and only 2 sandwiches were left). I will also add that although initially you think the private rooms are a nice touch, it leads to your group being thoroughly ignored without any means to attract attention. They didn't seem to know what they were doing. We had to request more tea as the 'premade' sandwiches took so long to arrive that there was no tea left. Not one person approached us during our meal to enquire whether everything was ok.

Seriously, pick up your game. There was one (quite young) waitress who was friendly. The rest seemed grumpy and unwilling to help.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

stayed here for the second time with my friend when we had a 2 night break away in Belfast. We had a bit of a disaster the night before in a city centre hotel so were hoping this would be much better - and it didn't disappoint. When we checked in we were greeted by a lovely staff member who escorted us to our room - it had a double bed in it and she then suggested she would give us a twin room at the front of the house. This was a bigger and much better room. The tea coffee and homemade scones and traybakes were just scrumptious. and such a personal touch.
We went out for drinks to a Lillys - just across the road - was really handy and great fun! The only problem was, as this was a Saturday night and we were back home late, we panicked slightly when we couldn't get the key to turn on the front door...... The key appeared to stick and not turn - which really left us in a bit of a stick - as we had left the list of telephone numbers in the room upstairs.......!!! It took us quite a while to sort it but we did eventually get the door opened...... as this was almost at 2am we were in a bit of stick as we had no idea who to call should we not have managed it...... anyway once in, we slept well as the beds were very comfortable.
The breakfast the next morning was scrumptious - and cooked to order. the Tea rooms are really quaint - would highly recommend them.
This was my second time to stay here - once with my boyfriend earlier in the year and the other with a pal - would highly recommend for either.

Room Tip: check the keys turn on all doors before the tea rooms close and always bring the numbers that are in...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
County Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Lovely room and cakes out in the hall are a realy nice touch.
I am here on buisiness for 5 nights cost nearly €300 and I am very dissapointed that the best they have offered me for breakfast at 8am is made the day before - help yourself fruit salad and make it yourself toast. No fruit juice or cereals. Where is the organic yoguart and other lovely breakfast options as advertised?
Not availible until after 9am....come on...... I have to be in Belfast and working by then.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was there with my sister, her boyfriend and a friend of mine. We arrived just after midnite and as arranged, there was someone there waiting for us. Orianne explained us everything and was really helpful and friendly. The bedroom was so nice, like in the movies, full of cushions, lovely furniture, and we had a great sleep. Bed very soft and pillows just perfect. Fresh pastries just outside our room with juices and desserts. Breakfast took a bit longer than we thought, but it was because it was made at the moment, and you could feel the difference in the tasty, everything was soooo delicious!!. It is about 35-40 minutes walk into town, but along the Lisburn Road there are lots of little shops, so it is worth to walk (if the weather permits it!). Overall, I really enjoyed our stayed and I am recommending it already to my friends. Thank you very much for such a great stay, speacially to Orianne!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Travelled with my boyfriend to Belfast on a Grabone deal which included two nights B&B and Afternoon tea.

It is a Tea Room with guestrooms, so there is noone at the premises after 5pm except the guests. It wasn't an issue for us and we were given numbers to call in case of emergency.

From the moment we arrived, the service we received was 10/10. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The tea rooms are beautifully decorated and we really enjoyed the afternoon tea and breakfast each morning.

We stayed in the Jasmine room. It was quite small but really nicely decorated, with a lovely big bed! Good size bathroom and room was really clean and pretty. The staff did offer to move us to another larger room but we didn't bother as we were happy enough where we were.

A lovely touch that Maryville offer is to leave out fresh scones, jams and deserts in the hall outside your room along with teas and coffee so you can help yourself when you get back in the evening.

Location-wise, it's on the Lisburn Rd so you wouldn't walk into the city centre. But there is a bus stop across the street so you can get into town in about 10 minutes for £1.80 or get a taxi for about £7. There are lots of boutiques and coffee shops along the Lisburn Rd.

Overall, really enjoyed our stay and am looking forward to staying at Maryville again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed three nights at Maryville House in October. I arrived in the evening later than staff usually stayed, but with prior arrangement, I was met by a very friendly young lady who gave me the keys and showed me my room.

There isn't an on-site owner or hostess overnight so you come and go by yourself, using the keys and as I was out in the morning before breakfast and back later in the evening I didn't see anyone - staff or fellow guests - for the rest of the stay. So the atmosphere is more boarding house than B&B. Some solo travellers might find that a little disconcerting or insecure.

My room was adequate but a little small and was only serviced on one of the days I was there. There was a bed, TV, drawers and a small ensuite with shower only. It was the single room just off the stair landing. It was okay and did the job, I was there very little. I don't know if the other rooms are more spacious.

The location is a bit out of town, about £5-6 for a taxi ride to the centre. There are buses as well, but I was combining with other people at a nearby B&B and so taxis were actually more economical and convenient.

I wouldn't rush to stay here again, but it would be okay if other options weren't available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Killybegs Co. Donegal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending a weekend in Belfast recently and are delighted that Maryville House was our accomodation of choice. the afternoon tea on arrival was scrumptuous. We were planning to eat out on both evenings and the staff were so helpful with suggestions for eateries and bars etc, many of which matched reccomendations we had got from others who had visited Belfast previously. The staff couldn't have done any more to make our stay as enjoyable as it was, unfortunately this is a rare experience nowadays especially that the staff were all relatively 'young girls'. The breakfast on both mornings was delicious,great menu choices of home cooked food that set us up for the rest of our day. Would highly recommend Maryville House, ideal location and will definately be back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maryville House? Share your experiences!